GCN+ closes What are the alternatives?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pendodave

Re: GCN+ closes What are the alternatives?

Post by Pendodave »

It's a shame the cross season has been a little underwhelming tbh.
Hopefully, the new road season compensates.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Pendodave wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 9:58pm It's a shame the cross season has been a little underwhelming tbh.
Hopefully, the new road season compensates.
Yeah, I don't think I've missed much since GCN+ ended (only a few races anyway). Looking forward to the Aussie races - Nationals, TDU, Cadel - even if it means sitting up through the night to watch them 'live'!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pendodave wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 9:58pm It's a shame the cross season has been a little underwhelming tbh.
You’ve been watching a different feed to me 😀
Today alone …Lucinda, Ceylin battle and catching Puck underwhelming 🙄
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Paulatic wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 10:16pm
You’ve been watching a different feed to me 😀
Today alone …Lucinda, Ceylin battle and catching Puck underwhelming 🙄
I just caught up - Fem was winning with ease last time I watched and it was boring, but yeah, epic! :)
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

kylecycler wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 9:50pm Just used the discount code sent by GCN+ on the 19th (with the refund notification). Followed the link in the email, entered the code, so that's the first three months free (applies to the Standard package so that includes the cycling plus motorsports except Moto GP). Will be £6.99 per month after the three months are up.

Had to be redeemed before midnight tonight, though, so if anyone still hasn't, they'll need to be quick (I nearly forgot!)..
Just re-quoting myself to point out that today is the last day to use your discount code if you have one and not yesterday, so there's still time.

Ok I'll fess up, I thought last night that yesterday was New Year's Eve and until now I thought today was New Year's Day - not only do I not know what day it is, I don't even know what year it is! :oops: :lol:
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

kylecycler wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 2:37pm
kylecycler wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 9:50pm Just used the discount code sent by GCN+ on the 19th (with the refund notification). Followed the link in the email, entered the code, so that's the first three months free (applies to the Standard package so that includes the cycling plus motorsports except Moto GP). Will be £6.99 per month after the three months are up.

Had to be redeemed before midnight tonight, though, so if anyone still hasn't, they'll need to be quick (I nearly forgot!)..
Just re-quoting myself to point out that today is the last day to use your discount code if you have one and not yesterday, so there's still time.

Ok I'll fess up, I thought last night that yesterday was New Year's Eve and until now I thought today was New Year's Day - not only do I not know what day it is, I don't even know what year it is! :oops: :lol:
I never received a discount code from them.
Got the refund but no email with discount code.
Tried contacting them, no response.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

rualexander wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 4:31pm I never received a discount code from them.
Got the refund but no email with discount code.
Tried contacting them, no response.
That's unfortunate. It was a fairly straightforward process. Still had to give payment details, of course, but the first three months are free. The player seems just the same as GCN+.

Actually I just checked back and the discount code wasn't in the refund notification but in a previous email dated 14/12/23 - 'Important Reminder About Your GCN+ Subscription Ending'. Sorry if I misled you - I got that wrong in the previous post.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I never got my code.

So have tried discovery/eurosport via an extra sub on Amazon prime (which I already had) but the cycling availability on the site doesn’t show all the latest races and the search function is poor. For instance I want to watch the first stage of the women’s tour down under. I can see it in the discovery plus app so it should be in there somewhere but is doesn’t show in the prime cycling section under Eurosport. Nor if I search for it in ( it searches through loads of prime stuff but only brings up old races not the first stage of this years).

So I’ve cancelled my discovery+ subscription with prime and will move to a direct discovery subscription next month. Whilst I recognise I will have to mirror to the tv if I want a big screen I already had to do that with GCN+ and at least I can find my stuff which is just buried too deep in prime.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MrsHJ wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 2:53pm first stage of the women’s tour down under. I can see it in the discovery plus app so it should be in there somewhere but is doesn’t show in the prime cycling section under Eurosport.
Have Eurosport actually got either Tour Down Under? It's not showing up in my searches of E1 and E2 schedules either.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I can only see the Women’s TDU in the schedules, not the men’s.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

TrevA wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 5:05pm I can only see the Women’s TDU in the schedules, not the men’s.
It’s not starting for a few days- so you’ll probably only see the women’s featured as coming up until Sunday/Monday. Then the men’s should show- I think it starts on the 16th.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

mjr wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 3:35pm
MrsHJ wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 2:53pm first stage of the women’s tour down under. I can see it in the discovery plus app so it should be in there somewhere but is doesn’t show in the prime cycling section under Eurosport.
Have Eurosport actually got either Tour Down Under? It's not showing up in my searches of E1 and E2 schedules either.
Screenshot from discovery plus. Tumble weed on discovery plus in prime unless it’s buried somewhere I haven’t looked.
Attachments
IMG_1738.png
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

MrsHJ wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 5:07pm
TrevA wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 5:05pm I can only see the Women’s TDU in the schedules, not the men’s.
It’s not starting for a few days- so you’ll probably only see the women’s featured as coming up until Sunday/Monday. Then the men’s should show- I think it starts on the 16th.
Yes, found it now. It’s on the D+ app, but I can’t see it on E1 or E2, probably because the Australian Open Tennis is on.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Just to say that the women’s tour down under is now showing in the discovery plus bit on prime so I’ll catch up today whilst painting the spare room (and stage 2 is showing as just finished so I added that to my watch list too) but but that 24 hour delay has totally put me off using prime for discovery plus as it’s not just that one race that seems difficult to find- you’d expect to pretty easily see the recent cycle cross races too but no obvious sign of them. I’m not a follower of cycle cross but if I wanted to see MvdP yomping through sand or mud you’d expect it to be easy to find in the recent stuff.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

The women’s tdu is on Eurosport at the moment.
I assume the men’s will be as well.
Ludwig is leading.