Only One Kidney

E-Whiz

Only One Kidney

Post by E-Whiz »

Following a couple of years with heart problems, I've found a new lease of cycling life at 61 with an electric road bike which I got this year. I've cycled socially for much of my life and would hate to give it up.

However, I've just been diagnosed with an extensive, malignant tumour of one of my kidneys and am due to have the kidney removed in the next couple of weeks, as a matter of urgency.

In the consultation yesterday the consultant advised that I should not cycle again for fear of having an accident that might compromise my remaining kidney. To say that I'm dejected by this news is an understatement. I love my cycling - for health and social reasons and to protect the environment.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or advice please? My initial reaction is to try to find some less risky cycling routes or maybe there are club locations where I could ride on a circuit not troubled by traffic?

Thanks.
Jdsk

Re: Only One Kidney

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

I'm very surprised by this advice and I strongly recommend that you explore it further with the consultant.

I also suggest writing to the Patient Council of the UK Kidney Association. (I thought that there was a patient to patient forum but I can't now find it.)
https://ukkidney.org/patients/patient-council

Jonathan
E-Whiz

Post by E-Whiz »

Thanks Jonathan.

This is all very new to me.

Thanks for the link to the UK Kidney Association which I had no knowledge of. They seem to have a lot of leaflets available to download online so I'll try those first and then contact them if I need to.

Best wishes,
Andy
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I had a kidney removed in 1981 due to a tumour. Since then I have lived a pretty normal life and while I have had to give up two wheels due to balance problems I now use a recumbent trike regularly.
In the intervening years I cycle camped extensively and nobody ever suggested I should not.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I've only got one brain, but I haven't given up cycling for fear of compromising it.
Richard M
Cardiff
531colin

Post by 531colin »

E-Whiz wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 4:59pm …….
In the consultation yesterday the consultant advised that I should not cycle again for fear of having an accident that might compromise my remaining kidney…,,,,
What ridiculous “advice” .
Perhaps he(?) was having a bad day; lost his crayons or something
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I'm 67. Had a kidney removed nine years ago for the very same reason as you. I was not given any advice against cycling. In fact I was praised for it, told by the doctors that cycling was the reason I made such a quick recovery. I still cycle 100 miles a week, even more in the summer. I work part time in a bike shop. I am secretary of our local cycling club and a committee member of a cycling development group for young people. I don't know what I'd do without cycling. I've never thought about an accident or a fall comprising my remaining kidney. I can't give advice because I'm not qualified to but my experience might be useful in determining how you handle your own situation. Best of luck and best of health from here on in friend.
E-Whiz

Post by E-Whiz »

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

Your thoughts are very much the same as mine at this stage, and I'm especially grateful for such positive and inspirational advice from those who have previously trodden the same sort of path as I have ahead of me.

Cheers,
Andy
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Your consultant is a velophobe.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 5:54pm ...
I'm very surprised by this advice and I strongly recommend that you explore it further with the consultant.
Jonathan, you know the NHS far better than I do so, if OP makes no sensible progress towards cycling with his/her consultant, is it worthwhile (or even possible) to ask for a 2nd opinion re activities after the procedure?

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ambodach wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 6:36pm ... and while I have had to give up two wheels due to balance problems I now use a recumbent trike regularly....
When I asked my consultant for his permission/approval to head off on cycle tour (not a kidney issue) he grimaced and "Is that a good idea ...?". But when I said I rode a recumbent trike he was fine with the idea. I needed consultant's permission/approval in order to get travel (with activity) insurance (wasn't for daily recreational local cycling - I just did that).

I have no appreciation of the impacts of procedure OP is having and maybe it depends on how stringently he/she tends to follow medical instructions vs their own experience and/or common sense. But if seeking medical OK then might help raising "thinking of a recumbent trike" (even having photos on phone to hand to show what they are - low, you wont fall off!) but then use the word "cycle" as in "I need to keep cycling to maintain my health/mental state, ..." and "cycle" is ambiguous as it doesn't define what type of cycle.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I think that, just as there are plenty of everyday activities which are more or less as likely to produce a head injury as cycling, these same activities could well result in a fall which risked an impact to a kidney.
Walking on or crossing a street busy with motors could well result in a considerable impact, etc.etc.
I am sure that the OP would cycle very carefully. A fall is far from an inevitable result of straddling a bicycle.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 10:33am
Jdsk wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 5:54pm ...
Jonathan, you know the NHS far better than I do so, if OP makes no sensible progress towards cycling with his/her consultant, is it worthwhile (or even possible) to ask for a 2nd opinion re activities after the procedure?
Thanks. I'll write something about second opinions, but probably not in this thread.

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Doctors are the smartest.Their advice should always be diligently followed. Analyzing your Doctors fears.Road cycling especially in winter is dangerous especially with dark nights. Obviously you love cycling.Consider Peloton using a turbo trainer.You can explore the Alps or Tour De France routes from the comfort of your sitting room.
That said seek out different opinions in your GP practice.You might get a sympathetic GP who gives the OK to level rural roads in summer.You can drive up with a cycle rack.Good Luck and keep hydrated (drink warm water not cold)
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Cycling is not dangerous.
No more so than walking down the street anyway.
Did the consultant advise against walking down the street?
Ask yourself this : how many times have you crashed your bike and injured a kidney during your lifelong cycling career so far?
If you crash your bike often, then maybe follow the advice, if you've never crashed your bike then take the advice with a pinch of salt.
Of course, some nutter in a car can drive into you and damage your kidney, but that would be a rare event.