Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pal

Re: Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Post by pal »

As promised (threatened?): here are some pics of the bike cupboard in the Cross Country Voyager: one of the empty space, and one with my bike (and its 30mm tyres) for scale. [I can't persuade the photos to display the right way up! If anyone can fix this, I'd be v. grateful. Until then, rotate your computers by 90 degrees...]

This is the 'single bike' cupboard, which is more roomy (the one on the other side of the aisle holds two bikes, and can be more of a squeeze). I think the hook would accommodate a pretty wide tyre, providing you can heft the bike up onto it.

The same bit of the train (the end of Coach D, in the usual set-up of the Voyagers) also has the bulky luggage storage, and I'm pretty sure that a tourer would fit in there: it's a long space, with a partition/shelf at about 4 feet high. But this would only work if there were no luggage in that space, which I have to say is pretty unlikely. (Even the almost completely empty new year's day train I was on had a couple of big suitcases in there.)
Attachments
Photo 01-01-2024, 07 53 23.jpg
Photo 01-01-2024, 07 52 49.jpg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Photo 01-01-2024, 07 53 23.jpg
Photo 01-01-2024, 07 52 49.jpg

It's a lot easier to rotate the photos than the bike!

: - )

Jonathan
pal

Post by pal »

:D (And thanks!)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

the one on the other side of the aisle holds two bikes
Good luck with that!!
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Tring to book for 4 of us to get back from Inverness to Edinburgh with bikes.
Can book advance seats on LNER train, but can't book a bike space for another 6 weeks, bonkers!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

VinceLedge wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 2:11pm Tring to book for 4 of us to get back from Inverness to Edinburgh with bikes.
Can book advance seats on LNER train, but can't book a bike space for another 6 weeks, bonkers!
Is that because it's 4 at once? Might it be possible with only 2 bikes on each train?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 19 Jan 2024, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

VinceLedge wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 2:11pm Tring to book for 4 of us to get back from Inverness to Edinburgh with bikes.
How far ahead?
I doubt it's possible to make bike reservations before all engineering work has been scheduled. It'd be even more bonkers to do so.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 2:17pm
Is that because it's 4 at once? Might it be possible with only 2 bikes on each train?

Nope - we rang LNER and booking for bike spaces isn't available until early March for mid May bookings!

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

PH wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 2:59pm
How far ahead?
I doubt it's possible to make bike reservations before all engineering work has been scheduled. It'd be even more bonkers to do so.

For mid May, train and seats can be booked but not bike spaces, so can't see how that would be a reason.
Will

Post by Will »

VinceLedge wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 4:21pm

Nope - we rang LNER and booking for bike spaces isn't available until early March for mid May bookings!

Jonathan
The LNER website shows that they are still finalising the timetable at weekends from 12/04, so it is not yet possible to book anything in May for Saturday or Sunday.

The LNER website does appear to allow you to book tickets for midweek travel in May, and allows you to reserve up to 4 bike spaces.

What day are you trying to book for, and are you using the LNER website?

Will
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Will wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 4:50pm

Jonathan
The LNER website shows that they are still finalising the timetable at weekends from 12/04, so it is not yet possible to book anything in May for Saturday or Sunday.

The LNER website does appear to allow you to book tickets for midweek travel in May, and allows you to reserve up to 4 bike spaces.

Will
Yes we are using the LNER site.
It is midweek and the train is definitely available to book, as you gp through the process there is a box which would let you book a bike on, but when you do and then press confirm it then says you can't book the bike space, which is why we phoned them.
PH

Post by PH »

VinceLedge wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 4:23pm How far ahead?

For mid May, train and seats can be booked but not bike spaces, so can't see how that would be a reason.
Because if they have to cancel a train, they'll plan replacement buses that don't (officially) take bikes.
Will

Post by Will »

VinceLedge wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 6:18pm

Will
It is midweek and the train is definitely available to book, as you gp through the process there is a box which would let you book a bike on, but when you do and then press confirm it then says you can't book the bike space, which is why we phoned them.
I might be that there are less than 4 spaces available for the day you selected, so it does not let you book on that day, or you are selecting a date on the wrong side of the cutoff point for bookings.

Here is a screenshot for an attempted booking for 15/05 (Wednesday):

It looks like you can book bikes up to (and including) Friday 17th May. I would expect that it will be a rolling window, so the following week may be available from next Friday, rather than in 6 weeks time.

Will
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Will wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 8:12am
VinceLedge wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 6:18pm

Will
I might be that there are less than 4 spaces available for the day you selected, so it does not let you book on that day, or you are selecting a date on the wrong side of the cutoff point for bookings.

Here is a screenshot for an attempted booking for 15/05 (Wednesday):

It looks like you can book bikes up to (and including) Friday 17th May. I would expect that it will be a rolling window, so the following week may be available from next Friday, rather than in 6 weeks time.

Will
Thanks , that is helpful, will keep looking!
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Interesting how the LNER support staff didn't have much knowledge of how and when you can book the bikes on.