Winter Trike Training (Wahoo Hub)

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
steve6854

Winter Trike Training (Wahoo Hub)

Post by steve6854 »

Hi,

Not being a lover of cold weather for cycling, I would like to set up indoor training for the winter. I've looked at the Zwift Hub One (https://uk.zwift.com/pages/zwift-hub-one) which looks potentially compatible with my Ice Adventure (Shimano Alfine 11 speed) trike.

Has anyone tried this before, or am on a journey of adventure and discover :D .

TIA

Steve
[XAP]Bob

Re: Winter Trike Training (Wahoo Hub)

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Are you on a large rear wheel, or is the zwift height adjustable?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

I don't think wheel size matters as the rear wheel isn't needed. The Wahoo hub has 135mm dropout, so you fit this as you would a rear wheel.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Just read the compatibility bumf, it will fit down to 24" wheel.
So if you have a 20" back wheel, you may well have to block the front wheels up to get the trike level.

Luck ......... :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

steve6854 wrote: 7 Dec 2023, 11:26am I don't think wheel size matters as the rear wheel isn't needed. The Wahoo hub has 135mm dropout, so you fit this as you would a rear wheel.
No, but the height of the axle needs to be compatible with the height of your dropouts, else you'll be kicking the floor as you pedal
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

I do my winter training using a Sportcraft Trike Trainer.
Not cheap but I have had one for years and it is a well built bombproof bit of kit that will see me out.
Two gear ratios by swapping it around. Just a couple of blocks for the front wheels (I use a couple of bricks with deep frogs).
I bought mine from Draft Wheelchairs. Their site is well worth a visit even if you are just a regular recumbent rider just to see the wonders of racing trikes and wheelchairs.
hercule

Post by hercule »

mark aldridge wrote: 7 Dec 2023, 10:05pm I do my winter training using a Sportcraft Trike Trainer.
Not cheap but I have had one for years and it is a well built bombproof bit of kit that will see me out.
Two gear ratios by swapping it around. Just a couple of blocks for the front wheels (I use a couple of bricks with deep frogs).
I bought mine from Draft Wheelchairs. Their site is well worth a visit even if you are just a regular recumbent rider just to see the wonders of racing trikes and wheelchairs.
How do you find tyre wear on the Sportcraft? I have a wheel-on Tacx smart trainer but it eats rear tyres and I any case I can only use it with my ICE VTX and not my QNT.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Hello Hercule
It is hard to say as i don't use good tyres.
I either use worn road tyres off my trikes before chucking them, I run them until they fail. It is not a problem as it does not strand me out on the road.
or I buy the cheapest tyres I can find, ones I would not think of using on the road.
Rolling resistance is not an issue as the worse they roll the more training effect you get.

If time or weather conditions allow I get out in my Quatrovelo. The weight means it gives a great workout and it really shows when I get out on my Windcheetah in the spring.
Good luck.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Sportcraft Trike Trainer, can you use an ordinary bike roller on a trike ?
or are they differant
ONETAL

Post by ONETAL »

yakdiver wrote: 9 Dec 2023, 11:27am Sportcraft Trike Trainer, can you use an ordinary bike roller on a trike ?
or are they differant
I use Elite rollers with the front roller taking off, it works fine. If your trike has bigger than 20'' front wheels than you should get away with not having to remove that.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

ONETAL wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 11:02am
yakdiver wrote: 9 Dec 2023, 11:27am Sportcraft Trike Trainer, can you use an ordinary bike roller on a trike ?
or are they differant
I use Elite rollers with the front roller taking off, it works fine. If your trike has bigger than 20'' front wheels than you should get away with not having to remove that.
Thanks for that