Are we monoexercisers?

Carlton green

Re: Are we monoexercisers?

Post by Carlton green »

Hip joint wear too can be adversely affected by too much cycling and hip replecements still plague cyclists.
I wasn’t aware of hip joint issues but had heard of cyclists damaging their knees by pushing too high gears.

Like some others above I don’t specifically cycle for exercise and the exercise is a (useful) byproduct of cycling for utility and pleasure, a bike’s a means of getting to places in a way that’s enjoyable, affordable and socially responsible.

It wouldn’t be accurate to say that “I never go for a walk without my bike”, but I often do ride and walk on the same journey - depends on where I’m going and where I am but I did it again this afternoon.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Carlton green wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 9:17pm I often do ride and walk on the same journey - depends on where I’m going and where I am but I did it again this afternoon.
So did I but it wasn't intentional! I got half way to the town from the village but hit a stretch where the hawthorn hedge had just been freshly cut, couldn't avoid the thorns and my rear tyre punctured. It was getting dark, I had a spare tube but I was still 'only' 4 miles from home so I just hoofed it back up the road. There's always another day (well, until there isn't).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

kylecycler wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 1:10am
Carlton green wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 9:17pm I often do ride and walk on the same journey - depends on where I’m going and where I am but I did it again this afternoon.
So did I but it wasn't intentional! I got half way to the town from the village but hit a stretch where the hawthorn hedge had just been freshly cut, couldn't avoid the thorns and my rear tyre punctured. It was getting dark, I had a spare tube but I was still 'only' 4 miles from home so I just hoofed it back up the road. There's always another day (well, until there isn't).
On my commute to town or work I often have to stop where the hedges have been cut, throw the bike onto my shoulder ( this is where the upper body strength comes in handy especially in winter as I prefer to use the mtb with panniers ) or walk the bike on the grass ( if it's not too flooded which it often is ) past the cut stretch of hedge. It's always faster than repairing a puncture. My eyes are always scanning the tops of the hedges to see how flat they look.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

That's the other reason why I prefer the non electric bike in winter -- carrying it over the thorns cos sometimes it's not possible to ride on the waterlogged grass verge
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

arnsider wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 8:46pm I found this to my determent when I ascended Coniston Old Man a few years back afte a long Hill Walking lay off and had a lot of pain on the descent from muscle group neglect. In some respects, cycling can be too easy and it can lull you ito a false sense of fitness.
Hip joint wear too can be adversely affected by too much cycling and hip replecements still plague cyclists.
Pretty sure the "pain while descending" thing is because cyclists don't do eccentric contractions of the muscles much. But note that non-cyclists (who have climbed mountains all their life) succumb to descending pain eventually - hence the rise in walking poles!

I'm not aware of cycling increasing hip problem, but haven't studied the phenomenon. My only data point is that when I was in an ortho' ward (post car-crash), there were no cyclists in there, and the only guy on his 2nd double hip-job was a seasoned skier (in his 50s!)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 11:38am
arnsider wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 8:46pm I found this to my determent when I ascended Coniston Old Man a few years back afte a long Hill Walking lay off and had a lot of pain on the descent from muscle group neglect. In some respects, cycling can be too easy and it can lull you ito a false sense of fitness.
Pretty sure the "pain while descending" thing is because cyclists don't do eccentric contractions of the muscles much. But note that non-cyclists (who have climbed mountains all their life) succumb to descending pain eventually - hence the rise in walking poles!

I'm not aware of cycling increasing hip problem, but haven't studied the phenomenon. My only data point is that when I was in an ortho' ward (post car-crash), there were no cyclists in there, and the only guy on his 2nd double hip-job was a seasoned skier (in his 50s!)
For we ole pharts, who have lost the rubber bones & sinews of our youth for the brittles of age, cycling can be very bad for the hips - but only if you fall off sideways on the black ice, when you will snap and have to be taken orf for a false hip to be installed.

I know three cyclists of this class, who are all now cycling even faster than they did before they had the robot-parts installed. It makes you wonder - how much better would a cycling ole phart get were they to break a few other parts then get the metal and plastic replacements?

There are some who might be improved by a metal and plastic new head, inclusive of a better "computer". I advise them to not wear a helmet, for their own good. :-)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Cowsham wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 8:34am
kylecycler wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 1:10am I got half way to the town from the village but hit a stretch where the hawthorn hedge had just been freshly cut, couldn't avoid the thorns and my rear tyre punctured. It was getting dark, I had a spare tube but I was still 'only' 4 miles from home so I just hoofed it back up the road. There's always another day (well, until there isn't).
On my commute to town or work I often have to stop where the hedges have been cut, throw the bike onto my shoulder ( this is where the upper body strength comes in handy especially in winter as I prefer to use the mtb with panniers ) or walk the bike on the grass ( if it's not too flooded which it often is ) past the cut stretch of hedge. It's always faster than repairing a puncture. My eyes are always scanning the tops of the hedges to see how flat they look.
Pretty much what I usually do too, although I've never gone so far as to throw the bike on my shoulder (probably not as strong as you - got a typical cyclist's physique - legs like pistons, arms like pipe cleaners!), Sometimes even just turn back and find another route. Forever scanning the tops of hedges, though; I just wasn't paying attention yesterday until it was too late.

The other trick is to ride in the cars' tyre tracks - they've picked up the thorns on their tyres, their tyres are too thick to puncture (usually, although I got a puncture on a car tyre once from a hawthorn) - I've avoided many a puncture this year by carefully picking my way through like that.

P.S. Writing this to avoid fixing the puncture - can't be bloody bothered! :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

kylecycler wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 1:15pm
Cowsham wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 8:34am
kylecycler wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 1:10am I got half way to the town from the village but hit a stretch where the hawthorn hedge had just been freshly cut, couldn't avoid the thorns and my rear tyre punctured. It was getting dark, I had a spare tube but I was still 'only' 4 miles from home so I just hoofed it back up the road. There's always another day (well, until there isn't).
Pretty much what I usually do too, although I've never gone so far as to throw the bike on my shoulder (probably not as strong as you - got a typical cyclist's physique - legs like pistons, arms like pipe cleaners!), Sometimes even just turn back and find another route. Forever scanning the tops of hedges, though; I just wasn't paying attention yesterday until it was too late.

The other trick is to ride in the cars' tyre tracks -
I do that too -- as for upper body strength I'm nowhere near what I used to be and had even a comment from a workmate as he noticed I'd changed shape since hitting the cycling harder from about 2016 ( just found another thing that cycling could get me to but needed my stamina better to be able to do it. ) ie I'd neglected the lifelong fitness regime a bit, listed up thread.

I think my workmates a bit autistic or maybe ADHD ( no filter -- whatever he thinks comes out but in a cartoon voice that suits the intimation of the comment -- like Jim Cary on steroids ) but what he said was regarding attractiveness to the opposite sex " you need to give them something to look at " or something along those lines.

Thing is he's absolutely right so I balance the two activities but not only for better shape but I think it's healthier to keep the shape of the upper body bone structure -- shape of spine ribs etc etc -- found out how important that is when I had my really bad off a couple of years back.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cowsham wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 8:34am On my commute to town or work I often have to stop where the hedges have been cut, throw the bike onto my shoulder ( this is where the upper body strength comes in handy especially in winter as I prefer to use the mtb with panniers )
I don't think you need a "gym bod" to carry your bike a short distance. The best training for carrying your bike is probably ... carrying your bike!

(not that all-round strength is a bad thing ... )
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

drossall wrote: 15 Dec 2023, 11:42pm One of the great advantages of cycling for exercise is that you can build it into life (as of course you can with walking). So the daily process of getting about becomes exercise. I've been a club cyclist for 45 years now, and enjoyed racing, touring, Audax and so on - without ever actually being any good. I enjoy walking but have always been terrible at running. I've always regarded training in any form as slightly cheating (I agree with Flanders and Swann there). So that doesn't give much incentive to go off doing other forms of exercise that would be more disruptive to life.

That said, decades ago, I joined the St Christopher's CC for the duration of my time in Leeds as a student. They did winter circuit training, just in a hall. The following season, I rose majestically from going off the back on the slightest rise to actually being able to hang on to the rear of the group, and even won the handicap in their club hilly event (only time I'll ever win any kind of prize involving gradients). So it's not as though I don't realise that more rounded training helps.

Four years ago, after a double bypass, the excellent NHS system fed me into recovery physiotherapy first, and then into local gym membership to continue the work. Since then, I have been doing a bit of that as well as returning to riding. And it's actually quite fun.

So, to answer the question, it's taken me the best part of 50 years to cease to be a mono-exerciser.
double bypass! Just curious -- you seem to have had a life with plenty of exercise just wondered why the heart problems ? -- not that it's impossible for a fit person to need heart surgery ( Jim Fixx comes to mind )
The Path Racer

Post by The Path Racer »

Well my strength training exercises seem to be having an effect. I can almost touch my toes - you can stop laughing coz 2 weeks ago I couldn't reach much further than a couple of inches below my knees!
Many bones and muscles are aching too. Always a good sign :wink:
After trying to do a sit down (Asian) squat I've discovered the cause of my lazy left foot and why I have so much trouble automatically placing it correctly on the pedal. My left ankle tendons are really feeling the effects of staying in the squat position for any length of time. It is improving though. My right ankle feels absolutely fine. Might explain why I used to be soooo! right footed when I played football.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Here's the answer, folks - the Twicycle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y02_3Eal1l4&t=120s
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The Path Racer wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 11:34am
After trying to do a sit down (Asian) squat I've discovered the cause of my lazy left foot and why I have so much trouble automatically placing it correctly on the pedal. My left ankle tendons are really feeling the effects of staying in the squat position for any length of time. It is improving though. My right ankle feels absolutely fine. Might explain why I used to be soooo! right footed when I played football.
A wobble-board may help with this, it's a great way to give ankles a workout.
This sort of thing...
There's a dome on the base so to keep the deck level you have to shift your weight around, all of which means lots of small pulls on your ankle in multiple directions. Physios use (and recommend) them for post ankle-prang rehab. As well as trying to keep the deck level you can just roll it around the edge which requires your ankles to flex in all directions rather than just the usual front/back.

Another good one is stand on one leg and close your eyes and try to maintain balance (if you've not tried it you may well be surprised at how hard it is!). Again, lots of workout for your ankle(s) doing this.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pjclinch wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 8:00am
A wobble-board may help with this, it's a great way to give ankles a workout.
This sort of thing...

Another good one is stand on one leg and close your eyes and try to maintain balance (if you've not tried it you may well be surprised at how hard it is!). Again, lots of workout for your ankle(s) doing this.

Pete.
It can't be easy keeping that wobbler thing level whilst standing on it with only one leg! Are you teasing those with compromised ankles, you rascal?

I do the one-legged balance test each and every morning, as I dry my crevices and nooks following the shower. One must stand on one leg whilst raising the other to towel atween the tootsies, checking for rot as one does so.

Will the olephart topple, especially as he crushes his eyelids together to concentrate more on the feel of full towel-insertion in those toe gaps? I have warned the ladywife to listen out for a crashing noise, just in case. So far, no ungainly sprawl upon the tiles; or even a wobbleboardless wobble. (Sometimes a brief sideways hop-hop, though).

But time marches on and the rots of ages are inexorable. I feel an involuntary shudder every time I cycle past one or another of the local gimmeries, with Brutus the male nurse waiting eagerly at the window to spot potential new "customers" to install upon the gruel-feeding perches on the compulsory afternoon-TV watching stools. If my post-shower one-leg test indicates the beginnings of such a customer status, I may ride over a cliff somewhere.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Never seen a wobble board for sale.

ps Wish Cuget would go into full scale production of wooden self assembly small bike sheds.