Police fail to arrest driver of rolled car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle tramp

Re: Police fail to arrest driver of rolled car

Post by cycle tramp »

531colin wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 5:18pm It seems that the courts have reminded Ms Williams that driving a car is a privilege which has to be earned.
I guess that’s not as “newsworthy” as the previous story.

I posted earlier that if the car which was rolled onto the pavement had held 3 black lads and a wrap of weed they would have been in handcuffs straight away.
TC knows (even I know) that would be the case if it were 3 white lads, and it’s to stop the lads sloping off or kicking the evidence down the drain.

I don’t like the message which is sent when somebody drives like a complete prat, avoids killing two people by pure luck, and just gets waved off to get on with their day.

And I see your point- having ridden my motorcycle like a complete prat and having killed myself in the process - I was not questioned until after I had come out of hospital (some two weeks later after I had written off my motorcycle and the transit van with which I collided). After my questioning it fell to the cps as to whether I would be charged with dangerous driving. The cps decided that as I had suffered life changing injuries (including losing the ability to drink alcohol) I'd suffered enough...

....from the point of reporting the above incident it would have been better if the police had added 'that they were currently investigating whether to bring 'dangerous driving' charges against the driver' that way the public perception would have understood that such driving clearly falls under the attention of the police and is not without further consequences.

Having watched the video a few times - I'm not sure if I saw any brake lights on the vehicle which did collide with the street lamp. If no one else saw them either, it might mean that the driver was completely unaware of what was happening (either through drink, drugs, or on set ofxa medical condition) the brake lights were faulty, or perhaps they had simply 'frozen' and couldn't react. Watch it yourself and see if you can spot and brake lights....
Last edited by cycle tramp on 20 Dec 2023, 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

College of Policing "authorised professional practice" on communications with the media:
https://www.college.police.uk/app/inves ... s-strategy

Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

I've watched the footage countless times and have yet to see a car being 'rolled'.I see a car(van) collide with a post and tip onto it's side.That is not 'rolling' and happens quite a lot.
Typical knee-jerk reaction to nothing really.Should we hang,draw and quarter the driving whilst we're at it?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

PedallingSquares wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 7:19am I've watched the footage countless times and have yet to see a car being 'rolled'.I see a car(van) collide with a post and tip onto it's side.That is not 'rolling' and happens quite a lot.
Typical knee-jerk reaction to nothing really.Should we hang,draw and quarter the driving whilst we're at it?
The same vehicle just happens to be on the wrong side of the road, careering out of control over a pedestrian crossing. Funnily enough in a lifetime of driving I have never tipped a 4 wheel vehicle on its side, or gone careering over a crossing on the wrong side of the road. Am I doing it wrong?
But yes, yours is the typical car centric reaction, that’s an accident nobody’s fault could happen to anybody; in fact we should encourage people to drive like lunatics to keep those pesky pedestrians and cyclists indoors out of the way of the important people in motor vehicles.

Yes, I’m not being serious, but I have an uncomfortable feeling that you might be
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

cycle tramp wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 7:00pm Having watched the video a few times - I'm not sure if I saw any brake lights on the vehicle which did collide with the street lamp. If no one else saw them either, it might mean that the driver was completely unaware of what was happening (either through drink, drugs, or on set ofxa medical condition) the brake lights were faulty, or perhaps they had simply 'frozen' and couldn't react. Watch it yourself and see if you can spot and brake lights....
The brake lights clearly come on very very late, after they start turning the wheel. All of which suggests it wasn't a major "medical event".
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

PedallingSquares wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 7:19am
Typical knee-jerk reaction to nothing really
Really?... the last time I looked approximately 300 pedestrians a year were run over whilst on the pavement in the uk. Now that's not nothing, is it? Especially if you happen to be one of them..

..indeed if that street pole had not have been there the camera would have filmed a different, more horrific event. They would have been seriously injured or killed. Now that isn't 'nothing really', is it? That could be your daughter, your niece, your cousin or a friend on that video. How does that make you feel?

I am the proof that of you take road safety as a matter of chance, it can and will back fire on you, and you may find yourself in a situation which will kill or seriously injure you or someone else.
I'm lucky, I got to have another go at life - and I now treat road safety as something which can be controlled and managed to a certain extent. You may not get another chance. Lots of people don't. Lots of people who are more deserving of getting a second chance at life, than me, are dead through road collisions, and never came back - and are still missed by their friends and family each and every day.

It's not nothing.
maanderx

Post by maanderx »

There must have been a very quick investigation by the police in order for them to decide to
arrest the driver of the car that damaged the house (in the report below).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-67822316
AKA De Sisti
PH

Post by PH »

maanderx wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 12:40pm There must have been a very quick investigation by the police in order for them to decide to
The exact opposite is the case, the driver has been arrested and remains in custody because the police deem that necessary for the investigation. The idea that it's some sign the investigation is complete is as inaccurate as it's possible to be.
maanderx

Post by maanderx »

PH wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 1:37pm
maanderx wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 12:40pm There must have been a very quick investigation by the police in order for them to decide to
The exact opposite is the case, the driver has been arrested and remains in custody because the police deem that necessary for the investigation. The idea that it's some sign the investigation is complete is as inaccurate as it's possible to be.
I was being facetious.
AKA De Sisti
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

maanderx wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 2:07pm
PH wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 1:37pm
I was being facetious.
You were very good - I nearly bit too :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From the linked report:-
Another neighbour said he was asleep when he heard a huge crash outside.

He said he saw someone running away from the vehicle after the crash but he was stopped from escaping by other residents.
That sounds like what made an arrest "necessary" under the Code of Practice already quoted