Watery winter eyes:Cycling in the cold

briansnail

Watery winter eyes:Cycling in the cold

Post by briansnail »

The house is just so cosy and warm in winter.However I have to get to work by bike in ice cold mornings.I have no car.Even at a moderate 10 C my eyes are instantly very watery even with spectacles.The watering does not stop probably because cold air is so dry.Does anyone else have this problem?.

The eyes are not red or itchy so probably not an infection.
Note my water supply is chlorinated and water vapour from cooking/kettles is an irritant .As is to long in the shower with very hot water vapour.
After showers.The windows are kept open for an hour.All washing even in winter is dried outside unless raining.Every three years the window insulation is stripped and replaced.in Winter the window insulation get a weekly white vinegar spray to keep any mould at bay.
My eyes are peeled but no sign of house mould.

Over to you for your comments.
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531.
Jdsk

Re: Watery winter eyes:Cycling in the cold

Post by Jdsk »

NHS advice: "Watering eyes":
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/watering-eyes/

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I used to suffer with it at work. Cold days out on the hill with a quad bike and my eyes would water, enough to disturb my vision, on tricky bits of hill ground. It got a bit dangerous at times so went to the doctors.
Turned out my gutter ( bottom eyelid) needed tightening up to improve the flow of tears and the Dow pipes from the lid needed rodded out.
This didn’t stop cold weather causing more tears but it did improve the drainage and helping my vision.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

I find that glasses really cause my eyes to water. I almost never wear them. It's really limited to group rides, where the risk of something being kicked up from another persons wheel is a real concern.

This winter (second winter in Sweden), I've discovered the somewhat amusing issue that is eyelashes freezing. Seems to happen below minus 15c. It's not an issue, and easily fixed with a short and deliberate closure of my eyes, but it's a new one to me!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 6:45am I find that glasses really cause my eyes to water. I almost never wear them.
Whereas I find aviator-style glasses instead of my usual small ones really help reduce watering in cold, dry air.

A simple emollient sparingly around the eyes also helps avoid irritation. Mine's prescription but something like Dermol should also work.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Jon thanks for the tip.I will have think about the medication.I do find however some have minor unwanted side effects just like Hay fever medication.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wear safety glasses over my normal spectacles. It stops the air coming in round the sides. I wear them all the time now, helps with wind irritation, cold, dust, pollen, etc, etc.

£1.99 from Wickes so worth a try.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I often get watering eyes and a runny nose when walking or cycling in cold weather, seems to a familial trait!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

simonhill wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 12:43pm I wear safety glasses over my normal spectacles. It stops the air coming in round the sides. I wear them all the time now, helps with wind irritation, cold, dust, pollen, etc, etc.

You can also get super-cool wraparound style Bolle ones for about a tenner from Screwfix or Toolstation designed to use by themselves rather than over other glasses as an alternative. Very much like the "eyewear" but being in the safety specs range, sanely priced!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

You can also get super-cool wraparound style Bolle ones for about a tenner
Like the price.Race you there.
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pjclinch wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 2:48pm
simonhill wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 12:43pm I wear safety glasses over my normal spectacles. It stops the air coming in round the sides. I wear them all the time now, helps with wind irritation, cold, dust, pollen, etc, etc.

You can also get super-cool wraparound style Bolle ones for about a tenner from Screwfix or Toolstation designed to use by themselves rather than over other glasses as an alternative. Very much like the "eyewear" but being in the safety specs range, sanely priced!
Good advice.

Jonathan
thomacycle

Post by thomacycle »

Wearing safety glasses over your normal spectacles is a clever idea to prevent air from coming in around the sides and reduce irritation from various elements. The affordable options mentioned from Wickes, Screwfix, or Toolstation sound like great alternatives to address wind, cold, dust, and pollen issues. It's always helpful to find simple yet effective solutions to enhance comfort and protect our eyes while cycling in challenging conditions.