Covid again!

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Covid again!

Post by Mick F »

Well ..........

Who's a clever boy then! :D

Still thick with a rotten cold, but feeling much much MUCH better.
Taking the dog a walk shortly, but keeping out of the pub due my sneezing and runny nose.

The dog likes it in the Rising Sun, and I do too. :D
IMG_2009.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Thought you might be pregnant for a moment there!
:lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Good news -- you can go back to work now Mick.
I am here. Where are you?
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

"I'm somewhat unusual, but not alone, in still using a mask in the supermarket. I think I'll persist for at least a while yet."

I will join you .Some Doctors argue masks are a waste of time (Mr Trump?).Others say they work.There is nothing to lose so I will start wearing a mask.No invitation as in the past to get a COVID vaccination in the post from the government.Maybe they do not like my cycling CTC posts and want to get rid of me ......(joke,joke)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well ...................

Mrs Mick F did some shopping earlier, and amongst other things she went into the chemist and bought some up-to-date testing kit.
I was being optimistic about my previous test, but just tested again. as she wasn't convinced I was negative due to the fact that the kit was at the end of its life. Still just about in date, but old.

BOO! HOO!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
IMG_2010.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 9 Jan 2024, 3:51pm ...
No invitation as in the past to get a COVID vaccination in the post from the government.
In England the invitations are mostly (? all) from general practices.

Where are you and how old are you? And would you like advice on how to get the vaccination?

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

We never had an invitation for our COVID jabs. We had to book online and go to a COVID jabbing Centre. We knew several others who were waiting for an invite and advised them to book it themselves by telephone or online. Our health centre has never offered the COVID jab, only flu and shingles.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you have the NHS app on your phone, they send you an invitation. Flu as well at the same time.

If you don't have the app, the ball is in your court so to speak.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

The target audience are the ones least likely to have a smartphone and if they do many won't have the NHS app either. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 9 Jan 2024, 7:02pm The target audience are the ones least likely to have a smartphone and if they do won't have the NHS app either.
Latest figures:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ons-survey
includes:
"Older people are increasingly using the internet to interact with key services. Separate figures found that pensioners were the most active users of the NHS app last year – with two-thirds of users over retirement age accessing the app within the most recent three months of data – 273,500 of whom were over 80 years old."

Jonathan
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I had Covid at Christmas 2020 and again in September 2021.n First episode fine after 5 days. Second fine after 1 day but test positive for 8d.
I was really sick this Christmas. Walloped for 12d. Not Covid. Flu. Hadn't had that for 25y I think.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're better soon.

The harm from flu might be greater than that from COVID this winter.

Jonathan
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

rjb wrote: 8 Jan 2024, 8:06pm I was under the impression that masks only reduce the spreading of the virus by an infected wearer. It doesn't confer much protection to a healthy individual. Wish I could be proved incorrect.
Rules of thumb (backed up by science, all other interpretations available on the internet, timings are very rough guidelines based on current research, dependent on conditions such as size of room, ventilation etc):
  • masks made of material: do very little (more than nothing, but not much)
  • medical masks (thin, paper like, usually green or blue): help prevent spread of infection for ca 20mins indoors if infected person is wearing
  • FFP2, KN95: thicker masks, both to prevent spread of infection (if wearer infected) and protect wearer from airborne infection, good for ca 1 hour indoors, a lot longer if all persons present are wearing.
  • FFP3, KN99: little practical improvement over FFP2, since almost impossible to wear tight enough to make a difference. Generally a lot more expensive than FFP2
  • Obviously masks with a vent won't do a damn thing if being worn by an infected person. Masks not covering both mouth and nose are pretty useless too.
So if you're not infected, and wish to avoid it (eg while shopping, visiting GP, on bus), then just get an FFP2 and wear it properly.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Galactic wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 11:42am
rjb wrote: 8 Jan 2024, 8:06pm I was under the impression that masks only reduce the spreading of the virus by an infected wearer. It doesn't confer much protection to a healthy individual. Wish I could be proved incorrect.
Rules of thumb (backed up by science, all other interpretations available on the internet, timings are very rough guidelines based on current research, dependent on conditions such as size of room, ventilation etc):
  • medical masks (thin, paper like, usually green or blue): help prevent spread of infection for ca 20mins indoors if infected person is wearing
  • FFP2, KN95: thicker masks, both to prevent spread of infection (if wearer infected) and protect wearer from airborne infection, good for ca 1 hour indoors, a lot longer if all persons present are wearing.
  • FFP3, KN99: little practical improvement over FFP2, since almost impossible to wear tight enough to make a difference. Generally a lot more expensive than FFP2
  • Obviously masks with a vent won't do a damn thing if being worn by an infected person. Masks not covering both mouth and nose are pretty useless too.
So if you're not infected, and wish to avoid it (eg while shopping, visiting GP, on bus), then just get an FFP2 and wear it properly.
There is also the consideration of "knock-offs". Some time back I ordered some 3M FFP3 masks for workshop stock (hardwood dust, etc.). Ordered from significant online retailer. What arrived was unboxed (though each mask in it's individual wrapping). I was suspicious, reported my not-genuine suspicion and was immediately refunded and site launched an investigation. More out of interest recently I used one laying some loft insulation and quickly the one-way valve fell-off. I notice the specific seller has disappeared from the list of suppliers on the site.

Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Psamathe wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 12:38pm
Galactic wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 11:42am
There is also the consideration of "knock-offs". Some time back I ordered some 3M FFP3 masks for workshop stock (hardwood dust, etc.). Ordered from significant online retailer. What arrived was unboxed (though each mask in it's individual wrapping). I was suspicious, reported my not-genuine suspicion and was immediately refunded and site launched an investigation. More out of interest recently I used one laying some loft insulation and quickly the one-way valve fell-off. I notice the specific seller has disappeared from the list of suppliers on the site.

Ian
I prefer the fp2 without vent for working in dusty conditions but they seem harder and harder to buy these days. They cup the face better since they are more flexible than the ones with vent.
I am here. Where are you?