Cycling :Sperm level decline Fiction

briansnail

Cycling :Sperm level decline Fiction

Post by briansnail »

One of the biochemists in our club get N Scientist. At our café stop. He told us the Jan 24 issue clobbers two myths.

Pressure from cycle saddles does not reduce sperm levels. It does not cause blood flow or tissue damage. (2014 Study of 5000 cyclists).

So what does?

“A 5 cm increase in a man’s waist results in a 9% reduction of having a baby. A study on a very small sample showed. If you lose weight.Sperm numbers goes up. If you put the weight back on. Numbers decrease.

Conclusion: 1-Wives need to buy their partners bikes.Also encourage cycling. Everyone knows lots of cycling loses weight.2- Our cycling club guys needs to surrender all their pastries to me.3-Lets just all hope that they do not change their minds in ten years.
I ride Brompton, Hetchins 531
Cugel

Re: Cycling :Sperm level decline Fiction

Post by Cugel »

briansnail wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 5:06pm
Conclusion:
1-Wives need to buy their partners bikes.Also encourage cycling. Everyone knows lots of cycling loses weight.
2- Our cycling club guys needs to surrender all their pastries to me.
3-Lets just all hope that they do not change their minds in ten years.
Many wives have lists of consumables with 19347 things in them above the item "husband bicycle". Also, there is the difficulty of getting a plump husband to actually use the lovely new bike, should it ever appear. Many are stuck to an armchair or car seat with doughnut sugar.

I know quite a few plump cyclists, none of whom would give up their pastries without a fight, soon resorting to the dirty kind involving kicking, scratching and biting (not just of the pastry).

Scientists change their minds quite often but not that often. (See Thomas Kuhn for details).

Wot you read in the newspap is often a confused precis of what the latest scientist-with-status said, in which the precis somehow fails to convey the essentials in any coherent or accurate form.

Scientists are often wrong (shock-horror)!

PS It may be a good thing to suppress the sperms, as far too many have transmogrified into humans of the worst kind. Some even ride bicycles, often to the aerodrome so they can burn loadsa stink-juice going to the other side of the planet for a bike ride; then compounding the damage by coming back again! They probably eat a ton of pastry as they sit glued to their economy-class chair-in-the-sky. You can't ride a bike in an aeroplane, you know.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Cugel wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 10:04am You can't ride a bike in an aeroplane, you know.
Have you tried it then?
in4time

Post by in4time »

On a related matter I swapped my Brooks B17 saddle for one with a ‘groove’ down its length. The difference is regularly, very noticeable.
Last edited by in4time on 23 Jan 2024, 11:40am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I think that these are the relevant articles:

"Sperm counts are down worldwide and researchers are discovering why":
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... ering-why/
(there's a taster, but most of the article seems to be paywalled).

"Male adiposity, sperm parameters and reproductive hormones: An updated systematic review and collaborative meta-analysis":
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... /obr.13082

Usual advice: it's not a good idea to draw conclusions from individual studies, look for (preferably systematic) reviews or explainers from reliable sources, such as New Scientist.

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I know quite a few plump cyclists, none of whom would give up their pastries without a fight, soon resorting to the dirty kind involving kicking, scratching and biting (not just of the pastry).
Ha Ha .Nice one.

Note they did the same experiments with dogs.Same results.Plummeting sperm counts.They suspect the problem is with chemicals in Plastics and pesticides.
Also Sugar bad.Nuts and Veg good.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

in4time wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 10:42am On a related matter I swooped my Brooks B17 saddle for one with a ‘groove’ down its length. The difference is regularly, very noticeable.
Was that a swap for a B17 with a cutout (i.e., the B17 Carved, https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/b17-carved.html, or a different saddle with a cutout?

If the latter then I suspect you're quite possibly comparing apples with oranges as there are likely to be plenty of other things that differ. I use B17s, my wife hates them and uses Spesh BGs with a cutout, and I in turn hate those. Simply the case that we need different shapes of saddles because our pelvises are different even before we get to the softer bits.

I have a Selle Italia with a cutout that came with a bike I'd bought, and while the difference from a B17 is very noticeable, that's not in a good way for me! But that's more about the rest of the saddle than the cutout.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

briansnail wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 11:19am
Ha Ha .Nice one.

Note they did the same experiments with dogs.Same results.Plummeting sperm counts.They suspect the problem is with chemicals in Plastics and pesticides.
Also Sugar bad.Nuts and Veg good.
I try to have my nuts on a regular basis and generally succeed! (I have a good dentist). I also try not to vegetate but its becoming increasingly difficult to ignore the seductions of the pink settee with a touchy-feely collie already on it. I do eat my geens, though. (And orange, purple and many shades of off-white stuffs).

Still, one ride a week will do when one is walking gawd-knows how far (along as well as up & down) each and every day with the same collie. And Spring is in the air! I'm hoping for an unseasonably warm March during which shorts can be worn. I put extra chammy creeeem on to ward away the nut-squish. Not that the various saddles are that way inclined, despite the lack of a slit, notch or groove.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I was taught in college that the (alleged) reduction in sperm count from cycling was due to the testes being kept too warm for efficient sperm production, not because of any pressure or tissue damage. Thus it would only affect men who spend a large proportion of their time on the saddle and/or wear very tight trousers.

Mind you I did once suffer some very personal tissue damage from a long ride in a nice, soft, grooved saddle. (Not sure what my sperm count's been like since then, but my son says it's greater than zero.)

Come to think of it, wouldn't motorbikes be more likely to get hot on long rides? I'm sure the late Meatloaf made some comment about that...
Jdsk wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 11:12am Usual advice: it's not a good idea to draw conclusions from individual studies, look for (preferably systematic) reviews or explainers from reliable sources, such as New Scientist.
Good advice indeed, though I wouldn't call New Scientist reliable unless it's become a lot less sensational in recent years.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I think that these are the relevant articles:
Very relevant.

Human females are born with 2-3 million eggs.The baby in Mum has the eggs in her at the embryo stage.Its just so amazing the next generation is there.(Well half of it - potentially)

However is there any research on the number and quality of human eggs going down.Not related to human aging?.
The reason is to feed the embryo females have more fat than males.Biological necessity.The fat stores may hold chemical pesticides and plastics.So potentially female cyclists may indirectly be affected by diesel fumes,brake dust from buses and other contaminants when riding their bikes.Not just us guys.

If some one pays.Bet you find someone willing to do the research.
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

briansnail wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 5:06pm

“A 5 cm increase in a man’s waist results in a 9% reduction of having a baby. A study on a very small sample showed. If you lose weight.Sperm numbers goes up. If you put the weight back on. Numbers decrease.

The 9% reduction is due to the good lady not fancying the fat guy! :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've been cycling all my life.
I had a vasectomy when I was 31.

Two children was enough.
We've been married over 50years and the girls are both in their late 40s ........... and I'm now in my 70s.
Mick F. Cornwall