Campaigners / campaigning groups joining to use the forum as a platform

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
slowster

Campaigners / campaigning groups joining to use the forum as a platform

Post by slowster »

Moderators are discussing whether we need and should have rules about campaigners and campaigning groups joining the forum to post links to their website and to use the forum as a platform to advocate for their campaign.

What do forum members think/suggest?
Paulatic

Re: Campaigners / campaigning groups joining to use the forum as a platform

Post by Paulatic »

If it’s ok for any CUK campaign material and not for any other campaign?
Or just campaigns moderators approve of allowed?
Either way looks like a slippery slope.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Allow other cycling campaigns that don't seriously contradict CUK?

I guess if something directly contradicts CUK's charitable aims, then it shouldn't be on here.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Given that anyone can join as an individual, including “undeclared campaigners”, then advocate anything within forum rules, and link to anything, maybe the thing to do is to check what the rules say about links, and whether or not they cover things appropriately already.

If they don’t, e.g. they permit by default links to things that are contrary to CUK objectives or policies, then maybe they need to be tightened or clarified in general, not just for parties that declare themselves to be “campaigns”.

It’s a difficult thing to police, so may need to rely on participants spotting potentially “out of order” material on links, and flagging it to the mods for consideration.

It might be worth bearing in mind that participants do already occasionally use this forum to advocate various things, and already occasionally point to campaign links, so it would be worth “regression testing” any proposed new rules on what has happened historically, to check that they wouldn’t needlessly “kill off” harmless discussion.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

The nature of this site is for members to reciprocally exchange information and views. I for one would not want any organisation or individual to join this site who does so for the purposes of banging their own drum, or to exert influence on others, This site is for cyclists to discuss matters relating to cycling and maybe some other stuff in the tea room too, but if the core interest isn’t getting on your bike then, as far as I’m concerned, they can ‘jog on’ (ie, go away).
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
irc

Post by irc »

I have no issue with current members posting links as part of a campaign. I don't think it is appropriate for anyone to join just to post links then not take part in any subsequent discussion of the issue in question. That feels like spam.

Some forums have rules about needing to be a member for a certain time and/or make a certain number of posts before being allowed to post links.
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Thanks everyone: helpful.

The 'will of the Forum' seems to be that we are a place for discussion and mutual assistance between cyclists; not an advertising hoarding for pressure groups of unknown provenance.

So I have just disapproved a first post that is noisily campaigning on rather dubious grounds for a raised legal speed limit for ebikes with the following note:

"If you are cyclists you are welcome to join The Forum and join in our discussions, and no doubt you will find a way to mention your 20 MPH contention in passing. However we do not allow organisations with unknown connections to join merely to push their current obsession. We are not a billboard for advertising."
No pasaran
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

ncutler wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 9:38am Thanks everyone: helpful.

The 'will of the Forum' seems to be that we are a place for discussion and mutual assistance between cyclists; not an advertising hoarding for pressure groups of unknown provenance.

So I have just disapproved a first post that is noisily campaigning on rather dubious grounds for a raised legal speed limit for ebikes with the following note:

"If you are cyclists you are welcome to join The Forum and join in our discussions, and no doubt you will find a way to mention your 20 MPH contention in passing. However we do not allow organisations with unknown connections to join merely to push their current obsession. We are not a billboard for advertising."
Good, and thank you for the update.

I suspect that forums such as ours are open to abuse from groups and individuals want to push their own agenda … if any are seen then perhaps they can be weeded out and the rest of us left to be primarily cyclists sharing information.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Carlton green wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 10:00am … if any are seen then perhaps they can be weeded out and the rest of us left to be primarily cyclists sharing information.
Yes, absolutely. If dubious posts are reported we can easily scupper them..
No pasaran