Anyone been camping yet?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Anyone been camping yet?

Post by Sweep »

Was out free camping near Carlisle the other day.
Not too cold but very wet.
Sweep
horizon

Re: Anyone been camping yet?

Post by horizon »

Not yet but hopefully soon. In Cornwall we don't have seasons, just weather. Winter doesn't really exist here - it can be 10 degC at night, warmer than in June at times (overnight). Having said that, when it is cold (say around freezing), then it is as cold here as anywhere else. It just makes planning and anticipating a "winter" camping trip a bit unsettling - you never know what to expect.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 9:39pm Not yet but hopefully soon. In Cornwall we don't have seasons, just weather. Winter doesn't really exist here - it can be 10 degC at night, warmer than in June at times (overnight). Having said that, when it is cold (say around freezing), then it is as cold here as anywhere else. It just makes planning and anticipating a "winter" camping trip a bit unsettling - you never know what to expect.
Don't the weather forecasts help? Much better than of old? 7 day forecasts pretty reliable for anticipated temps?

In certain northern parts best to be prepared for rain - if dry a bonus.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

Sweep wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 10:24pm Don't the weather forecasts help?
Very much so but a planned date could be either very warm or very cold or of course dry or very wet/windy. This is different from the summer (July and August) because it isn't going to be very cold. It isn't so much a problem on the day (prepare accordingly) as imagining what it is going to be like - will it really be winter camping or a dark, soggy humid night? Still, therein lies the challenge!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Sweep wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 5:39pm Was out free camping near Carlisle the other day.
Not too cold but very wet.
At this time of year it’s either going to be cold or wet, but some hardy folk with the right gear and experience could doubtless manage something. I suspect that being near the west coast might moderate temperatures. As for camping in Cornwall that county is exceedingly hilly, much of the southwest peninsula is, so lugging your camping gear around will be a workout.

It’s been funny weather for January, I’ve come in from working in the garden and actually been warm.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

13 hours of darkness in a tent doesn’t appeal one iota.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 8:12am 13 hours of darkness in a tent doesn’t appeal one iota.
that's what good ebooks are for. On a campsite I once happily retreated to the tent for more than that with some supplies as I knew a storm was coming in.
On latest trip I actually had to retreat to the tent well before dark because of rain.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

Paulatic wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 8:12am 13 hours of darkness in a tent doesn’t appeal one iota.
The only hours that count IMV are between arrival time and bed time.

People often think about camping in the winter as the night-time being cold and difficult but that (thanks to good sleeping bags, mats etc) is the easy bit. The harder part is, as you say, the evening. Arriving on a bicycle means that you won't have the luxury of a caravan sofa and campsite facilities such as the bar are almost certainly closed. You might even arrive in the rain. However, my experience is that by the time you've set up and cobbled together something to eat (everything takes longer), it is getting on for bedtime. And that's assuming there is no local pub!

Ironically, lighting is a problem but in a different way. It seems that most campsites today are lit up like POW camps so getting too much light at night is the problem. For setting up and cooking, a good LED headtorch makes short work of the darkness.

I'm not saying it's easy but if you are up for the challenge, the darkness IMV isn't the worst of it.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 11:47am
The only hours that count IMV are between arrival time and bed time.

People often think about camping in the winter as the night-time being cold and difficult but that (thanks to good sleeping bags, mats etc) is the easy bit. The harder part is, as you say, the evening. Arriving on a bicycle means that you won't have the luxury of a caravan sofa and campsite facilities such as the bar are almost certainly closed. You might even arrive in the rain. However, my experience is that by the time you've set up and cobbled together something to eat (everything takes longer), it is getting on for bedtime. And that's assuming there is no local pub!

Ironically, lighting is a problem but in a different way. It seems that most campsites today are lit up like POW camps so getting too much light at night is the problem. For setting up and cooking, a good LED headtorch makes short work of the darkness.

I'm not saying it's easy but if you are up for the challenge, the darkness IMV isn't the worst of it.
Very true Horizon - I had several places (5?) scoped on a map as likely refuges but by chance the first was perfect so I selected it. But was a bit p'ed off to find that I then had about 2 to three hours until dark - a problem of course as you are far more likely to be spotted. I was in the tent for 16 hours easily but no great problem - I was very tired from lack of sleep the day before and had some nice books. The rain was a drag when outside the tent but not when in - I find rain on a tent very soothing - and also reassuring - random folks far less likely to be wandering around to stumble on you when it's raining. I had good gear, but not expensive at all and had tested my set-up (minus the extra foam mat underneath my inflatable mat down to about minus 2 or 3. This time I think it was a balmy 4 degrees or so.

Thankfully on waking the day was as predicted - sunny and totally dry - making camp in the rain a slight irritation but striking camp in the rain on a bike I find a total drag - can't just chuck everything unpacked in the back of a car and off.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The weekend just gone, 3rd and 4th Feb. It was surprisingly warm – didn't get below 10 all night. Though Sunday morning felt cold due to the wind.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Here you'd need your bicycle to ride to your tents next landing point. ( edit -- at least the wind would be on your back and you wouldn't need to pedal ) I'll keep mine for the summer.
I am here. Where are you?
wmydlarz

Post by wmydlarz »

I’ve done a couple of weekends this winter.

1 was along the Peddars way and a bit of the coast. Warm(ish) and windy but a nice trip as was very quiet people-wise.

Other was along the ridgeway. Colder and frosty with clear skies at night and frozen water bottles. Hard going on the chalky slip in the way but a nice time to be out.

Planning to go around the soon but waiting for a weekend without much rain.
in4time

Post by in4time »

Did my first shake-down ride last weekend. Reproofed the tent in situ. My ME Dragonfly XT is quite old now but it’s been such a good touring tent and the extension is much appreciated.
Forgot I’d left the lighters in Portugal but the fire stick always works.
Don’t over inflate the Thermarest, to avoid the ironing board experience.
Ground was fair to soggy
Although the dark still arrives early I quite enjoyed the longer sleep, peppered with podcasts.
The sleeping bag was a bit minty but thankfully warm.
Must buy a pillow this year.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

in4time wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 3:49am Did my first shake-down ride last weekend. Reproofed the tent in situ. My ME Dragonfly XT is quite old now but it’s been such a good touring tent and the extension is much appreciated.
Forgot I’d left the lighters in Portugal but the fire stick always works.
Don’t over inflate the Thermarest, to avoid the ironing board experience.
Ground was fair to soggy
Although the dark still arrives early I quite enjoyed the longer sleep, peppered with podcasts.
The sleeping bag was a bit minty but thankfully warm.
Must buy a pillow this year.
yep I quite enjoy the long darkness - not necessarily a problem. If wild camping long long evenings can be a bit of a problem in summer I think - you might be tired, fancy kipping down but have to hang around waiting for the comforting cover of darkness.
By now, late Feb, amount of darkness is just fine I think - 12 hours or so not much more of real dark.
Decathlon do a nice pillow - I have one but for winter camping prefer a small Mountain Equipment one I picked up cheap as it fits neatly INSIDE the hood of my winter sleeping bag for a snug cocoon effect - no leaking of cold air into the bag.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

For a pillow, I use a cotton pillowcase from home. Actually, it's a pillowcase cut in half and sewn up again. Into this I stuff my fluffy jacket. This is, for me, far comfier than any inflatable, and avoids extra weight and volume.