Over-powerful LED lights

simonhill

Re: Over-powerful LED lights

Post by simonhill »

Sorry if this has been covered, I stopped reading this post a while back.

My newsfeed put out this article on GB News (second sorry) about bright car lights.

Posting because there is a petition and a link to it in the article.

https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/d ... -motorists
Diatom

Post by Diatom »

Thank you simonhill.

In case there is hesitation about going through GB news, the petition is on the UK Government and Parliament Petitions website, with access via the link:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... o%20bright.

The petition asks for

"Review the brightness of car headlights for safety
The Government should launch a review into the problem of some headlights causing oncoming traffic drivers to be unable to see clearly and safely. The review should be conducted with car manufacturers to find solutions.
"

This is more or less what I was thinking when I started this post.

and, by the way, this website gives convenient links for writing to your local MP about this issue.
Diatom

Post by Diatom »

I have just sent a letter to my local MP as follows:

Dear Cherilyn Mackrory,

I was almost killed last week when running along the B3289 in the evening. A van almost hit me and I had to jump into the ditch to avoid what would almost certainly have been a fatal collision. The driver stopped to check I was OK and explained that, although I was wearing reflective clothing and carrying a light, he didn't see me until it was too late because he was dazzled by a car with over-bright headlights coming in the opposite direction.

I believe that new car headlights are becoming more and more powerful, making it increasingly difficult for oncoming drivers to see safely. I believe that these over-bright headlights make the roads more dangerous for pedestrians, runners and cyclists.

I have just signed the petition on the UK Government and Petitions website calling for:

"Review the brightness of car headlights for safety

The Government should launch a review into the problem of some headlights causing oncoming traffic drivers to be unable to see clearly and safely. The review should be conducted with car manufacturers to find solutions."

Could you support the call for a review of this issue?

With many thanks,

Yours sincerely,
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Signed it
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

If you think LED lights in the UK are bright, you should come to Scandinavia.

Almost every car is mounted with a full sized lightbar, linked to the full beam switch. They are many degrees of magnitude brighter than any full beam in the UK. HGVs are on another level again. Think stadium lighting.

These LEDs are important to spot moose. Moose strikes can be fatal for drivers.

But getting dazzled is far less common as roads are well designed with good sight lines and people see you when they're a long way off. Additionally, in our part of Sweden the traffic is minimal.

Perhaps the issue in the UK is less the lights themselves and more inconsiderate drivers?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I'm bothered by some lights when I'm driving. My sons aren't. Could the fault be with ageing eyes, not the lights.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Diatom

Post by Diatom »

The driver who almost hit me was in his late 20s-early 30s.

And anyway, there are plenty of drivers with “ageing eyes”. So, should they be blamed rather than over-powerful headlights?
Last edited by Diatom on 10 Feb 2024, 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diatom

Post by Diatom »

Greystoke wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 1:49pmSigned it
That’s great, thank you!
Diatom

Post by Diatom »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 2:07pm If you think LED lights in the UK are bright, you should come to Scandinavia.

Almost every car is mounted with a full sized lightbar, linked to the full beam switch. They are many degrees of magnitude brighter than any full beam in the UK. HGVs are on another level again. Think stadium lighting.

These LEDs are important to spot moose. Moose strikes can be fatal for drivers.

But getting dazzled is far less common as roads are well designed with good sight lines and people see you when they're a long way off. Additionally, in our part of Sweden the traffic is minimal.

Perhaps the issue in the UK is less the lights themselves and more inconsiderate drivers?
The thought of “stadium lighting” on rural roads makes me feel ill! And I wonder what effects that has on nocturnal animals’ eyes. I so hope we don’t get to that point in the UK but it is already bad enough.

Perhaps there are more inconsiderate drivers in the UK (although I think the majority of drivers are just doing the best they can) but the increasing power of headlights seems to be making the situation worse. The driver who almost hit me seemed genuinely shaken up by what had happened and was concerned for my safety.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

In my opinion it's dipped beam that's the issue, full main beam is only used when no one is around, road clear etc.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Diatom wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 3:17pm
Greystoke wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 1:49pmSigned it
That’s great, thank you!
And another.
7.378 signatures
We've added your signature to the petition:

At 10,000 signatures...
At 10,000 signatures, government will respond to this petition
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Diatom wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 3:38pm
The thought of “stadium lighting” on rural roads makes me feel ill! And I wonder what effects that has on nocturnal animals’ eyes. I so hope we don’t get to that point in the UK but it is already bad enough.

Perhaps there are more inconsiderate drivers in the UK (although I think the majority of drivers are just doing the best they can) but the increasing power of headlights seems to be making the situation worse. The driver who almost hit me seemed genuinely shaken up by what had happened and was concerned for my safety.
It's a matter of necessity here.

Sweden is 70% forested. The main roads have fencing along them, but only the larger main roads. 95% of roads don't. If a moose steps out in front of you and you hit it, the consequences can be fatal. A moose's body is sufficiently far from the ground that your bonnet will only hit the legs. The windscreen takes the full brunt of the impact, and an adult bull moose can weigh 700kg and stand 7ft tall. They can also run at 55kph apparently, so can take you by surprise.

When I was in the UK, I had a 4x4 Sprinter works van (worked in forestry) which I put LED spot lights on the front of. They had a dipped and full beam function. I wouldn't use them on lit or busy main roads, but for Devon lanes, they gave a lot of additional light that really helped me see. In the long, drab months of winter, there is no such thing as too much light (if you're considerate).
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 2:07pm Perhaps the issue in the UK is less the lights themselves and more inconsiderate drivers?
Perhaps, or perhaps not...
but that's why this is a call for a review rather than Ban These Dangerous Lights Now!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 2:07pm Perhaps the issue in the UK is less the lights themselves and more inconsiderate drivers?
Nope.

The problem is with dipped lights, NOT full beam (when drivers can add on various extra lights). So drivers think they're doing the right thing, but the regs allow their "normal" lights to be a nuisance to others.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

mattheus wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 4:24pm
Nope.

The problem is with dipped lights, NOT full beam (when drivers can add on various extra lights). So drivers think they're doing the right thing, but the regs allow their "normal" lights to be a nuisance to others.
Fair point. It's supposed to be solved with modern, adaptive headlights that supposedly block out patches of the headlights to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. Not sure how well it works in practice though.