Super keen Cyclist age 50: Dementia

briansnail

Super keen Cyclist age 50: Dementia

Post by briansnail »

We know people with it. We are scared to talk about Dementia. We should.

I was in the library. There was a picture on the cover of a book of a penny farthing. The title was “Slow puncture “.Peter Berry the author was given the early terminal diagnosis.Early onset Dementia.
Peter meets the recently retired Deb.They embark on regular cycle rides.( He fixes all the punctures). Peter has now raised thousands for Dementia charities. Cycling hundreds of miles in his quest.
Two reasons for this post. You can cycle with Dementia. Visit your library if you want a good read. Both on Cycling and Dementia. Keep a handkerchief handy.Lots of them.

Cycling and all forms of vascular exercise help delay Dementia. Now wherever did I leave my bike.

Views on Cycling and Dementia?. It WILL happen to some of us.
I ride Brompton, Hetchins 531
briansnail

Re: Super keen Cyclist age 50: Dementia

Post by briansnail »

You can cycle with Dementia.
What I learnt and may influence responses:
The book was written in 2020.Still:

Peter had to pay for Dementia drugs himself.
His insurance policy was paid for and in place.Cancer? no problem.Dementia? sorry mate your not covered.Make sure exactly what your insurance policy covers you for.
He rode Penny Farthings in Velo races .His partner Deb went into a kerb (excitement the bike was brand new) and suffered substantial damage.If you ride a lot .Consider insurance.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Peter Berry's website:
https://www.peter-berry.com/about-3-1

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Peter Berry's website:
Jonathan thanks for website link.On main photo behind Peters Penny Farthing was a light blue wicked looking road bike.I recognize it as Deb Bunts from the book.
The "Penny" has no brakes.He has to back pedal on steep hills.Do not know how he does it.its very romantic Peter and Deb met in a cycle shop.Beat that for romance on 14th Feb.

They did say some of the big charities do a circular signposting when requesting help eg DVLA/Driving.Frustrating.
The Caring role is tough.
borisface

Post by borisface »

My mother had dementia and Alzheimers and ended up in a nursing home in France where she lived. They had a motiview machine which enables old folk and dementia sufferers the opportunity to cycle through 'real world' videos. It's kinda like zwift for the aged and dementia sufferers. It's supposed to help with cognitive function, provides a focus and exercise. They even have a world championships and the distances covered would better many club cyclists.

https://motiview.com/home-page-rws

Really impressive and inspirational stuff.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

My mother had dementia and Alzheimers and ended up in a nursing home in France where she lived. They had a motiview machine which enables old folk and dementia sufferers the opportunity to cycle through 'real world' videos. It's kinda like zwift for the aged and dementia sufferers. It's supposed to help with cognitive function, provides a focus and exercise. They even have a world championships and the distances covered would better many club cyclists.
Amazing.I was listening to BBC Sounds and Michael Moseley.He thinks 3 cups of green tea a day will help remove the amyloid/tau protein whatever that is.
On google the science is more cautious.It "might" and lots of tea can be bad or health.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 1:03pm ...
Amazing.I was listening to BBC Sounds and Michael Moseley.He thinks 3 cups of green tea a day will help remove the amyloid/tau protein whatever that is.
On google the science is more cautious.It "might" and lots of tea can be bad or health.
I was very impressed with Mosley's early presenting. He's as entertaining as ever but I'm now concerned that he doesn't clearly explain weight and levels of evidence for each "one thing".

Jonathan

PS: I would strongly recommend against using a raw search engine to find reliable information on health (or anything else that matters). Reliable sources are available.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

briansnail wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 2:40pm We know people with it. We are scared to talk about Dementia. We should.

I was in the library. There was a picture on the cover of a book of a penny farthing. The title was “Slow puncture “.Peter Berry the author was given the early terminal diagnosis.Early onset Dementia.
Peter meets the recently retired Deb.They embark on regular cycle rides.( He fixes all the punctures). Peter has now raised thousands for Dementia charities. Cycling hundreds of miles in his quest.
Two reasons for this post. You can cycle with Dementia. Visit your library if you want a good read. Both on Cycling and Dementia. Keep a handkerchief handy.Lots of them.

Cycling and all forms of vascular exercise help delay Dementia. Now wherever did I leave my bike.

Views on Cycling and Dementia?. It WILL happen to some of us.
I ride Brompton, Hetchins 531
@ 51yr's don't have Dementia, merely absolute brain seizures, periodic basis, past 5yr's now. No bike injuries since 2020. And .....

Have stayed off the bike in seizure periods for 3 yr's now. But "we'd never leave you", "need a lift", "jump on the bus" has been typical when confused by the side of the road and had that HGV, bus, tractor, 4/4,, works van or pedestrian help out.

& it's when you're intending to camp wild & a 4/4 driver has phoned around local pubs/hotels, booked you into a Country House Hotel for peanuts and driven you down the road (2022), makes you realize most people are incredible !
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Have stayed off the bike in seizure periods for 3 yr's now
Peter had the same problem.His GP as a test asked to list words beginning with the letter P .He was unable to but the GP did not do a dementia diagnosis perhaps to avoid understandable distress.

He did struggle with cycle rides in that maps and routes were a problem later.Nostalgia he brings back a time when lots of people explored UK on bikes at weekends with nice pick-nicks.Much to dangerous now.To many cars.

Your problem is its much much to dangerous to roads.So get a mountain bike.Stick to level off road terrain (there is a few second hand on this site).Most of all GET A CYCLING BUDDY OR TWO.(Peters solution).The bikes can go on a bike carrier to destination.
VOILA YOUR BACK ON THE BIKE!!!!!!!

Hope you get back on the bike.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

PS: I would strongly recommend against using a raw search engine to find reliable information on health (or anything else that matters). Reliable sources are available.
That comment sounds very sensible.Would be delighted to do but probably like a few others.Not sure how to access "Reliable sources"
If you get time please elaborate.Thanks.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 12:27pm
That comment sounds very sensible.Would be delighted to do but probably like a few others.Not sure how to access "Reliable sources"
If you get time please elaborate.Thanks.
A little light reading while I do some thinking:

"Looking for accurate health information online? 6 tips to find it, from a doctor":
https://ideas.ted.com/6-tips-for-findin ... -research/
(USA slant)

"7 ways to avoid becoming a misinformation superspreader":
https://ideas.ted.com/7-ways-to-avoid-b ... rspreader/

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

briansnail wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 2:40pm We know people with it. We are scared to talk about Dementia. We should.
I don't see that people are scared about taking about dementia. My experience is that attitudes have changed and people are often discussing it openly, people are quite prepared to raise eg a partner starting to suffer. Frequently discussed in mainstream press as new treatments are found and in the context of social care, in the context of sporting injuries eg rugby/boxing/etc.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 1:08pm
I don't see that people are scared about taking about dementia. My experience is that attitudes have changed and people are often discussing it openly, people are quite prepared to raise eg a partner starting to suffer. Frequently discussed in mainstream press as new treatments are found and in the context of social care, in the context of sporting injuries eg rugby/boxing/etc.
Yes, I think that there's now much more openness.

Celebrities and their families have also helped: Terry Pratchett, Prunella Scales, Terry Jones...

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Celebrities and their families have also helped: Terry Pratchett, Prunella Scales, Terry Jones...
Agreed especially celebrities.However the tragedy is many many husbands or wives are trapped at home.They are unappreciated although they give 24/7.The caring role is not always appreciated.The Carers have the nightmare of solely looking after.If they cannot :
Do they sell the house? Residential care is a route families do not want to take.Residential homes do give specialized 24/7 care with Doctors on call.They have hoists showers.

This post and responses will be lost in time in a couple of weeks,but its part of the on going discussion.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

briansnail wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 3:52pm

Agreed especially celebrities.However the tragedy is many many husbands or wives are trapped at home.They are unappreciated although they give 24/7.The caring role is not always appreciated.The Carers have the nightmare of solely looking after.If they cannot :
Do they sell the house? Residential care is a route families do not want to take.Residential homes do give specialized 24/7 care with Doctors on call.They have hoists showers.

This post and responses will be lost in time in a couple of weeks,but its part of the on going discussion.
Hoist showers, doctors on 24/7 call are related to general old age rather than specific to dementia. People who are not suffering dementia are just as likely to need care home/nursing care.

Similarly, selling a house relates to financing care that again may or may not involve dementia.

So what are you trying to discuss? Dementia or old age care needs or financing care? Conflating different issues does not help when trying to identify issues and potential solutions.

In my experience dementia is more something to be aware of, not a great deal to "discuss" beyond specifics of an individual sufferer and best way forward for that individual.

So I'm really unsure what you want to "discuss"?

Ian