rwgps ride reports query

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PT1029

rwgps ride reports query

Post by PT1029 »

I use the free version of rwgps, I find it good for what I do - checking club ride routes prior to going on our website. I also use it for planning routes (but always tweek to my preferences, which is what proper route planning should entail!).
However, our club is for various reasons changing it's web site to something much simpler (so we are not dependent on one person - who wrote the website - having to maintain the site, and being dependent on them continueing to do so). The website currently has a library of the old rides, with rwgps route link and map, a report and some photos. If we (club) had a paid for rwgps account, can you do a similar libray of old rides including photos/reports?
The club's free rwgps account already has a library of gpx files, but nothing more than that.
We are aware of the free site pages offered by national office, but having everyone used to our domain name (which we will be keeping), we don't want a new wbsite name.
Last edited by PT1029 on 27 Feb 2024, 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Re: rwgps

Post by Nicholas »

Have a look here for information about Club accounts:

https://ridewithgps.com/organizations/clubs
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

IN a word, no. Not a library of past rides with reports.

It's good for building libraries of routes. Our group does this in a free RWGPS account using the Collections feature, which is available to free users. Here's the 30-40 mile collection, for instance:
https://ridewithgps.com/collections/231 ... io0oe4xefE
We have a "Routes" page on our main website that provides an introduction and links to each of the collections:
https://winchesterctc.org.uk/local-routes

When viewing a route as a logged-in user (free or otherwise) you can add comments to a route, so I guess you could use that or the Review option (currently in beta) to add notes about individual rides, but not photos. But it's not ideal.

I look at the RWGPS Club Accounts offering every couple of years, both in my role as a club committee member and as the owner of a cycle tour company. In both roles, to date, I haven't considered it worth the money. It does lots of clever stuff that we don't need. One thing it doesn't do (or didn't last time I looked) is provide what you wanted: a way to file ride reports with photos.

Incidentally Cycling UK Wantage are very good at this. Their ride records include options for the leader to add a report after the ride, together with a record of everyone who attended the ride. (I thought it did photos as well, but I can't see any right now). However I think their system is entirely home-grown, though It uses RWGPS for route storage.
For example: https://cyclingukwantage.org.uk/rides.php?id=8827
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I've never tried this before but (using my club login) you can definitely write some kind of ride reports.
https://support.ridewithgps.com/hc/en-u ... de-Reports

I also noted that members can leave short reviews after an "Event" - these have appeared under Notifications. Something else I've never looked into - I can't even work out how I write one!
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Ooh, Mattheus is right. I hadn't noticed that feature slipping in.
It does work, kind of, but you have to make your ride Public first (not the route, the ride) then you can create a report with text, map and photos. It doesn't automatically link back to the corresponding route but you could put a link in. And it does require the reporter to have a premium account - or, presumably, be a user in a Club account. Other users can add comments below the report.

A quick example (most of my rides are set as Private for obvious reasons, so I had to go back to 2017):
https://ridewithgps.com/ride_reports/96 ... ash-return
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Note re. thread title: I'm not convinced that the lack of clarity caused by making up your own acronyms/initialisms is justified by the few keypresses it saves you. But doing it in a thread title means the reader has absolutely no context with which to work out what it means and is forced to open the message, which may be of no relevance to them. Would become a real pain in the bottom if it caught on.
PT1029

Re: rwgps ride reports query

Post by PT1029 »

Thanks all, very helpful replies, and title tweeked.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

DevonDamo wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 12:12pm Note re. thread title: I'm not convinced that the lack of clarity caused by making up your own acronyms/initialisms is justified by the few keypresses it saves you. But doing it in a thread title means the reader has absolutely no context with which to work out what it means and is forced to open the message, which may be of no relevance to them. Would become a real pain in the bottom if it caught on.
In this case I disagree. It's a VERY well-known site/app, possibly the most used by cyclists?
And if you right-click and google the title, you very quickly get to the exact feature we've been talking about. Try it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rwgps+r ... e&ie=UTF-8
Jdsk

Ride with GPS: Reports query

Post by Jdsk »

DevonDamo wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 12:12pm Note re. thread title: I'm not convinced that the lack of clarity caused by making up your own acronyms/initialisms is justified by the few keypresses it saves you. But doing it in a thread title means the reader has absolutely no context with which to work out what it means and is forced to open the message, which may be of no relevance to them. Would become a real pain in the bottom if it caught on.
Agreed. And see previous discussion of how to word Subjects.

Jonathan

Post by 853 »

mattheus wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 9:38am
In this case I disagree. It's a VERY well-known site/app, possibly the most used by cyclists?
I'd never heard of it, as I don't use GPS and have no interest in it. I had to start reading the thread to find out I was wasting my time ...