Sleeping bags ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

Re: Sleeping bags ?

Post by Thehairs1970 »

The problem you are going to find with your price point is you won’t get small pack size AND warm. I learned this the hard way when young and I sleep warm.

Have you considered the second hand market? Have a look for any ‘big brand’ items and the check online reviews for that. I reckon it’s the best way you have of accomplishing what you want.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Have a look at Decathlon. I’ve had mine a few years now but you can still get a reasonable synthetic bag that will be suitable for above freezing temps for £50-60.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
freiston

Post by freiston »

I echo the sentiments of other posters, particularly on the lines of the mat being as important and that you don't get cheap, warm and compact/light (usually two out of the three).

For £50 you're very much not going to get a down bag - so synthetic will more likely be heavier and bulkier or not very warm.

Most modern bags have less insulation on the underside because it doesn't work as well (gets compressed by the body) and people get their insulation underneath from the mat - so a mat is crucial for a bag to keep you warm in anything but really warm weather (assuming "outdoor" use). Mats have similar constraints regarding weight, pack-size and cost

If the sleeper sleeps warm and the weather is warm/mild, then you can get a lightweight synthetic bag that will pack small but the comfort temperature will not be low and on an unexpectedly cold night, could prove unfit for purpose (and necessitate the wearing of extra clothes/coats in the bag).

For summer (and some spring/autumn) use, I get by with a Berghaus Intrepid 700 which is rated as comfort down to 9°C and transition from 9° to 5°, with a Decathlon Forclaz MT500 inflatable mat.

I have Berghaus and Vango bags and rate them for good value synthetic bags.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

rareposter wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 4:47pm
Pinhead wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 3:47pm Under £50 please
At that sort of price you're honestly just best off going into a high street "outdoors" store like Millets, Blacks etc and selecting one you like the look of. It won't pack down small but it'll be warm enough. You can extend the warmth rating by getting a silk liner for it as well, that's well worth the extra.

Millets have a sale on at the moment.

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/sle ... ping-bags/

I've got a similar sort of bag, it's not for bikepacking or hiking because it just doesn't pack small enough but it was cheap and it's warm and it's been excellent.
To get something properly bikepacking / hiking at smaller size you need to be spending considerably more.
Millets

Are they still in business amazing

I'll find our nearest one and go in and see what else they have my son may like
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

freiston wrote: 2 Mar 2024, 1:03pm I echo the sentiments of other posters, particularly on the lines of the mat being as important and that you don't get cheap, warm and compact/light (usually two out of the three).

For £50 you're very much not going to get a down bag - so synthetic will more likely be heavier and bulkier or not very warm.

Most modern bags have less insulation on the underside because it doesn't work as well (gets compressed by the body) and people get their insulation underneath from the mat - so a mat is crucial for a bag to keep you warm in anything but really warm weather (assuming "outdoor" use). Mats have similar constraints regarding weight, pack-size and cost

If the sleeper sleeps warm and the weather is warm/mild, then you can get a lightweight synthetic bag that will pack small but the comfort temperature will not be low and on an unexpectedly cold night, could prove unfit for purpose (and necessitate the wearing of extra clothes/coats in the bag).

For summer (and some spring/autumn) use, I get by with a Berghaus Intrepid 700 which is rated as comfort down to 9°C and transition from 9° to 5°, with a Decathlon Forclaz MT500 inflatable mat.

I have Berghaus and Vango bags and rate them for good value synthetic bags.
My son (like me Autistic) wears a THICK wooly thermal fleece even in summer, can't get him out of it yes heatstroke, I try, he will be warm
Attachments
sdfgsg.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Again thank you all will post what I get for him

Again my bad, it will be used on rare odd occasions, can't remember to post full details when I asked
AUTISTIC and proud