Re-using an old 8-speed Campagnolo wheel

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mig

Re: Re-using an old 8-speed Campagnolo wheel

Post by mig »

Brucey wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 10:43am IIRC Miche do sprockets (into the 30's IIRC) to fit campag freehub bodies. Not that it isn't especially difficult or challenging to make your own, but they also do various width spacers, so you can build up miche cassettes to be compatible with almost any modern indexing system.
IIRC ambrosio(?) used to do a replacement cassette where each sprocket used a slightly larger splined fit and the cassette came with spacers and carriers to suit. I mention this because IIRC this system was quite popular BITD,(so there is lots of campag 8s stuff out there), the system supported larger sprockets (which don't tend to wear out) and you could use as many ( or as few) of the special sprockets as you want. Given how useless (for touring) the smallest sprocket in a standard cassette is together with how easy it is to add a sprocket at the other end of the cassette it wasn't exactly surprising to see how many people ran basically standard cassettes but without the smallest sprocket and with an added larger one.

Anyone with a welding set and half an ounce of brain power pretty much has the World at their feet here, I reckon. Whilst it isn't even slightly tricky to weld HG type steel sprockets together so they are strong enough it is tricky to get everything to stay concentric and sufficiently free of distortion. However, if you can manage this, there is nothing to stop you from rebuilding any worn campag fit cassette using shimano sprockets, any size.
Marchisio i think.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that's the badger...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mig

Post by mig »

slightly alarming to read that campagnolo 8 speed stuff is regarded as 'ancient.'

i won't tell my summer bike :wink: (due out soon hopefully.)