Touring shoes for bunions and wide feet

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
maanderx

Re: Touring shoes for bunions and wide feet

Post by maanderx »

Put a shoe-stretcher in your (narrow) shoes and stretch to the maximum width. Hold stretched
shoe over a boiling kettle for several seconds and then leave the stretcher in the shoe for about
(or at least) 24 hours. The steam from the kettle would have penetrated the leather and made it
supple enough to stretch.

Then, if desired, moisturise your shoes with something like Renapur.
AKA De Sisti
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Psamathe wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 5:51pm I wear my SD5s all year round, always with hiking socks (which provide some padding and avoid rubbing). Right through winter. Been in some horrendous thunderstorms in them (in France) and they dry quickly (plenty of air movement).
Ian
Sandals dry much better than shoes which can fill up with water! They can be paired with waterproof socks. I sandals them for at least 6 months per year although mine are Clarks "Wave Walk" style with thicker soles under the ball of the foot as I don't use cleats. I use big walking boots in the winter with thick socks to stop my feet freezing.
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

scandalxk wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 5:23pm
Psamathe wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 3:08pm I suffer the bunions (one foot) and I've mostly switched to the Shimano sandals (SD5?)...
Thanks, Ian. I should have mentioned that my bunions don't hurt in themselves, but they just make it awkward finding shoes to fit around them. I am tempted by Shimano sandals, but as I will be touring in Donegal I probably need something a bit more...weather-appropriate!
As long as it's warm enough wet feet aren't really a problem IME. I use SD5s with no socks in warmer weather, and yes, if it rains my feet are wet but as soon as it stops they dry out.

Waterproofing is well worth having if it's cold because water conducts heat very well so you get very cold feet if they get wet, but in warmer times of year it's much less of an issue.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

JohnR wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 12:50pm
Psamathe wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 5:51pm I wear my SD5s all year round, always with hiking socks (which provide some padding and avoid rubbing). Right through winter. Been in some horrendous thunderstorms in them (in France) and they dry quickly (plenty of air movement).
Ian
Sandals dry much better than shoes which can fill up with water! They can be paired with waterproof socks. I wear sandals for at least 6 months per year although mine are Clarks "Wave Walk" style with thicker soles under the ball of the foot as I don't use cleats. I use big walking boots in the winter with thick socks to stop my feet freezing.
Edit to fix some muddled words
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

I use waterproof overshoes when it is wet or cold. That makes it much easier to buy a shoe that works well in all seasons, including with thin or medium-weight socks. I can't fit thick socks in my shoes, but I don't need to as the overshoes keep my feet nice and toasty. I can imagine that bulky shoes suitable (without covers) for winter might cause more problems with bunions.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.