Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Cowsham »

doodge wrote: 8 Jul 2023, 5:05pm Hello, my real name is Doug/Dougie, I’m 71 years old. Always had a bike in the garage, just didn’t ride it all that often! I suffer a bit with arthritis in my knees and wrists, so recently bought an electric bike to help me along and it does help with my knees, but it has a flat bar which kills my wrists particularly on uneven surfaces. Now toying with buying a gravel bike for the drop bar, namely a Cannondale Topstone. Will this help? Can’t afford another e bike so it will have to be a manual jobbie.
Hire a drop bar ( road bike -- we used to call them racers ) for a day and try to ride at least 10 miles on that -- my guess is you'll find a drop bars more painful for the arthritic wrists since you'll have more weight on them and the angles maybe too acute.

Then try a bike with swept back handlebars or fit them to your own bike like the ones linked below.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... YcEALw_wcB
I am here. Where are you?
doodge

Post by doodge »

Thanks for the suggestion, I think that has to be the way to go, try a drop bar bike out. I understand that a gravel bike has a less extreme riding position, so will try that first.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

doodge wrote: 8 Jul 2023, 5:05pm ...
... but it has a flat bar which kills my wrists particularly on uneven surfaces.
Please could you add some photos of your riding position, and of your hands and wrists on the bars.

Jonathan
CyclingBlob

Post by CyclingBlob »

Hi! I'm Geoff, 54 years old and live on the south coast in West Sussex.

I used to cycle as a toddler then a teen, but after buckling my wheel due to always being a fat git, I felt too ashamed to continue. I even came second in the cycling proficiency test at my junior school! I used to own a Raleigh Racer and in those days you weren't cool if you didn't have a racing style or BMX bike.

Jump 40 odd years, I'm still a blob but I am exercising loads, regularly walking over 8 miles but I'd love to have a bike so I could get further and explore more of my area with my camera. The thought of my fat butt on a bike has felt as daft as expecting a ballet dancer to do sumo wrestling. I have low self-esteem and lack self-confidence (same thing I suppose) and the image in my mind of me on a bicycle is quite scary. I imagine being laughed off the streets to be honest.

A few days ago I thought I'd look up if there were any other men my size who cycled, and I was amazed to find many, and lots of information about it. I suddenly started to take it seriously and now I'm thinking I may actually take the plunge. I'm mostly scared of my first ride, even getting my leg over the saddle! I do want to try it though, on my own with nobody watching.

I won't get into types of bike here, I have done some research and read many posts on here already, so I know the sort of thing I'm looking for and may well ask about it in appropriate threads. I just wanted to say hi and share my long-winded story for you all to salivate over.
nightofjoycafe

Post by nightofjoycafe »

Mike

Favourite colour: Brown/grey (I know)

Bikes/Cycling: Frankenstein's Carerra MTB and a strange American Downtube full suspension folder.

After 25 years as a creative in Manchester, moved to the Fylde Coast a couple of years ago to be closer to family. Still work remotely for a Manchester firm.

Don't cycle so much for leisure these days, mostly functional A-B Stuff.

Been wrestling with the black dog for 30+ years, but not in bad headspace at the moment.

My friend Ben and I started the Reclining Pair podcast, because after Covid, I was noticing more friends on social media complaining of feeling isolated. I have very bad anxiety, and can't always get out to see folk, but podcasts like Chatabix were very helpful for beating the blues and helping me feel less isolated, so we thought we'd have a go at doing our own.

So apart from watching A LOT of TV for the podcast, I enjoy baking (was a baker in another life) and all kinds of arts, crafts, creative type stuff.

Always available for a natter about anything, just reach out.

Mike.
nightofjoycafe

Post by nightofjoycafe »

CyclingBlob wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 9:33am Hi! I'm Geoff, 54 years old and live on the south coast in West Sussex.

I used to cycle as a toddler then a teen, but after buckling my wheel due to always being a fat git, I felt too ashamed to continue. I even came second in the cycling proficiency test at my junior school! I used to own a Raleigh Racer and in those days you weren't cool if you didn't have a racing style or BMX bike.

Jump 40 odd years, I'm still a blob but I am exercising loads, regularly walking over 8 miles but I'd love to have a bike so I could get further and explore more of my area with my camera. The thought of my fat butt on a bike has felt as daft as expecting a ballet dancer to do sumo wrestling. I have low self-esteem and lack self-confidence (same thing I suppose) and the image in my mind of me on a bicycle is quite scary. I imagine being laughed off the streets to be honest.

A few days ago I thought I'd look up if there were any other men my size who cycled, and I was amazed to find many, and lots of information about it. I suddenly started to take it seriously and now I'm thinking I may actually take the plunge. I'm mostly scared of my first ride, even getting my leg over the saddle! I do want to try it though, on my own with nobody watching.

I won't get into types of bike here, I have done some research and read many posts on here already, so I know the sort of thing I'm looking for and may well ask about it in appropriate threads. I just wanted to say hi and share my long-winded story for you all to salivate over.
Hi Geoff.

Try not to worry about what others think.

Also if you're concerned about actually getting on and off a bike, why not consider a step-through frame to start with?

They look more or less unisex these days, the commuter/hybrid type ones in grey & silver colours.

Start out in a way that's going to help with your confidence and comfort... get yourself a really wide gel saddle Iike I did... then if you get the bug, think about a trendier type bike down the line.

Good luck mate.
CyclingBlob

Post by CyclingBlob »

nightofjoycafe wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 5:07pm
Hi Geoff.

Try not to worry about what others think.

Also if you're concerned about actually getting on and off a bike, why not consider a step-through frame to start with?

They look more or less unisex these days, the commuter/hybrid type ones in grey & silver colours.

Start out in a way that's going to help with your confidence and comfort... get yourself a really wide gel saddle Iike I did... then if you get the bug, think about a trendier type bike down the line.

Good luck mate.
Hi mate, thanks for the words of encouragement and the advice. I probably could get my leg over the saddle, I just wouldn't want anyone to be watching. :)

I'm really excited about doing this and can feel myself getting close to taking the plunge very quickly. I've already been into one bicycle shop, and plan to pop into a nearby Halfords during the week to have a chat and a sit.

Cheers,
Geoff.
nightofjoycafe

Post by nightofjoycafe »

Well you sound like you're coming at it from a good place.

Just try not to have a fixed idea of what a bike should be.

Consider your first one as a gateway bike, don't spend a fortune, nothing too flash, and all easily replaceable bits.

Personally, whatever you go for, I'd pay a bit extra and get puncture resistant tyres & tubes fitted.

First puncture you get can really knock the wind out of your sails, so lets do everything possible to prevent that. Solid, sponge type tyres made a brief comeback in the 90s, but i think they died off again. Could be worth looking into.

Also consider getting some of the co2 sealant cans. Then if you do get a flat, you just stick the can adapter over the tube's valve and it inflates it and fills the hole to get you home.

Easy - easy - easy - that's what you want this experience to be.
CyclingBlob

Post by CyclingBlob »

nightofjoycafe wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 5:38pm Well you sound like you're coming at it from a good place.

Just try not to have a fixed idea of what a bike should be.

Consider your first one as a gateway bike, don't spend a fortune, nothing too flash, and all easily replaceable bits.

Personally, whatever you go for, I'd pay a bit extra and get puncture resistant tyres & tubes fitted.

First puncture you get can really knock the wind out of your sails, so lets do everything possible to prevent that. Solid, sponge type tyres made a brief comeback in the 90s, but i think they died off again. Could be worth looking into.

Also consider getting some of the co2 sealant cans. Then if you do get a flat, you just stick the can adapter over the tube's valve and it inflates it and fills the hole to get you home.

Easy - easy - easy - that's what you want this experience to be.
You're absolutely right that I want it to be easy, so I appreciate the tip on tyres.

After my last post, I weighed myself for the first time in a few months. I was shocked and it's upset me that I've somehow put on so much since I last weighed myself. I'm about 21st now. I had reached 19 but knew I'd put at least some on, but to see 21 on the scales is a shock.

I know how to lose it, I don't need advice on that and I'll start again tomorrow morning with my walking. I have been walking between 8 and 9 miles around 3 or 4 times a week, with shorter walks while doing other stuff on the other days. My eating has got worse recently but I'm working on that. I do actually feel fitter than I ever have before, and can even power it up hills on my feet without much trouble. That's partly why I think I'd manage a bike quite well - It's just the weight limit that's the problem now.

Maybe I'll make a plan to reach a certain weight then treat myself to a bike.

Thanks for the tips, they'll be really helpful. With all the research I've done already, I thought that a Carrera Subway 1 or 2 would be about right for me. Not too costly but rigid enough and the right sort of handlebars to keep me fairly upright. I could add a better saddle and look into the tyres as you suggested.
nightofjoycafe

Post by nightofjoycafe »

TBH I thought you were going to say higher. It's not the mountain it could be.

You'd make a skinny strongman, focus on that :)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I'd suggest getting the weight off over this coming winter while keeping the walking going, researching bikes for your target weight and go for a bike in the spring. Losing the weight would give you much more confidence. A bike now could be wrong for your target weight next spring.

Small achievable goals and stick to the plan like a limpet.
Bluejohn

Post by Bluejohn »

Hello all - Lifelong cyclist here. Grew up in a family without a car, so rode anywhere and everywhere.
Lapsed a bit while my kids were growing up but have been back at it a while now, commuting every day.
Have a thing for older steel bikes, love to maintain them and keep them going. Current steeds are a Dawes Horizon (501/531), Ribble (653) road bike and a Raleigh (gas pipe) something or other. Look forward to seeing you around on the forum. Cheers John
Ray

Post by Ray »

Welcome!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Naiad

Post by Naiad »

Hello all
73 year old creaky bike rider.Always enjoyed cycling and finding the forum enjoyable reading.I live on the flat East coast and cycle for fitness and pure enjoyment.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Welcome Naiad