Waterproof but not necessarily breathable jacket!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tyreon

Re: Waterproof but not necessarily breathable jacket!

Post by tyreon »

I think goetex works well...for a time.My experience is that all works well for 2 years then...the beading begins to go.You can try and renew it of course,thru washing,cleaning etc. But it's never as good as it works new from the shop. In cycling,or with activity,I cannot see how it can 'breathe' in heavy rain.I might be wrong. Picture this: you're expending heat,sweating;on the outside if the rain is heavy there is a continuous stream of water over your jacket:how is your sweat/heat going to get thru the 'solid' stream of water? How is your sweat,heat/perspiration going to push aside continuous water.And if this were to be possible,wouldn't you be travelling in an airpocket,continuous water/rain .5mm above your jacket.I guess if you could cover yourself in rain jacket,trousers and socks,all made in goretex, you could go diving and remain dry.Altho I have faith in the product,I cannot believe all what is claimed for it.Now when it's raining hard,I don't go out in it...unless the journey is necessary.
Kell

Post by Kell »

I'm convinced that Goretex is magic. And only works if you 'believe' in it.

I also reckon that it's as cheap to not wash a jacket throughout the winter and just replace it in the summer as it is to faff about washing it with expensive proofing and cleaning stuff.
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Those last two are pretty much my experience, unfortunately.
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

So after some radio silence I have been considering all the helpful comments made here and my own requirements and have done a kind of u-turn.

I decided on reflection a cheap bin-bag style jacket wouldn't really be worth it, and that at times I will still require a 'waterproof' jacket, even though I don't necessarily need one for ridingactively in the rain very often. But walking the dog, on the hills and teaching in playgrounds are places where I might still want a decent jacket...

So after trawling many an outdoor forum I ended up trying a Paramo Quito for £170 which was very nice in many ways but a bizarre baggy body even in small (I am tall and thin). So I returned it and ended up going to Cioch for a made-to-measure Glamaig jacket for slightly more. These are made of the same fabric as the Quito, and I will receive it in the next few days. I know it will probably be too warm for long distances in much above freezing, but I think it will definitely fill an important hole in my clothing needs.

I will report on it in due course - no more jackets for a few years, I hope ... :wink:
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

mlteenie wrote:So after some radio silence I have been considering all the helpful comments made here and my own requirements and have done a kind of u-turn.

I decided on reflection a cheap bin-bag style jacket wouldn't really be worth it, and that at times I will still require a 'waterproof' jacket, even though I don't necessarily need one for ridingactively in the rain very often. But walking the dog, on the hills and teaching in playgrounds are places where I might still want a decent jacket...

So after trawling many an outdoor forum I ended up trying a Paramo Quito for £170 which was very nice in many ways but a bizarre baggy body even in small (I am tall and thin). So I returned it and ended up going to Cioch for a made-to-measure Glamaig jacket for slightly more. These are made of the same fabric as the Quito, and I will receive it in the next few days. I know it will probably be too warm for long distances in much above freezing, but I think it will definitely fill an important hole in my clothing needs.

I will report on it in due course - no more jackets for a few years, I hope ... :wink:

Nice to know I ride around in a cheap bin bag.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Ive had my £34 Bin-bag for about 5 years and it's still keeping me dry. :)
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Now now, boys - don't get... er, shirty. ;-)
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

bigjim wrote:Ive had my £34 Bin-bag for about 5 years and it's still keeping me dry. :)

Nice bike. Shame about the bin bag.
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Necro-thread, I know but I wanted to say my Cioch Glamaig is still going extremely well. Virtually no deterioration apart from some shiny bits around the cuffs from friction.

One day I will send it back for adjustment as i measured the height of the hood a bit wrongly in the customisation process - otherwise totally worth the money, albeit a shame they don't make a cycle-specific jacket. The fabric is lovely to wear and very breathable and tough.

Cheers!