Search found 17350 matches

by mjr
24 Oct 2021, 7:05pm
Forum: On the road
Topic: reporting poor cycle lane condition
Replies: 19
Views: 331

Re: reporting poor cycle lane condition

Psamathe wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 3:23pmFor me the failings in your report situation is that County failed to pass on the report when they knew who did have responsibility - shows a complete lack of concern over safety and I'd be raising the procedural failure of County with my Councillors to try and get some procedures requiring such reports be passed on (noting that I have time and others may not).
Indeed, and I am 98% sure that County as highway authority is legally responsible for such a path along a highway, so they would be on the hook for District's failure to repair it, even if County can demand payment from District under their sub contract or delegation. There's really no good reason for them not to pass the report on.
by mjr
24 Oct 2021, 12:08am
Forum: On the road
Topic: reporting poor cycle lane condition
Replies: 19
Views: 331

Re: reporting poor cycle lane condition

Psamathe wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 7:47pmI downloaded it all ages ago and it wont have changed as Norfolk Highways are perfect so no need to review any previous work. Interesting to know if they have specified response time for different damage for cycle lanes -
They do, plus repair methods are different so tar+chip mustn't be used in cycle lanes, for example. It's the Norfolk Traffic Asset Management Plan if you need to search for it. Some officers still pretend the cycling and walking bits don't exist, plus there are some annoying inconsistencies, such as 30% of a cycle track surface having to fail before it's resurfaced, if I remember correctly.
by mjr
23 Oct 2021, 11:49pm
Forum: Touring & Expedition
Topic: Using voicemail to record location in emergency
Replies: 24
Views: 478

Re: Using voicemail to record location in emergency

PT1029 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 12:30pm Might be worth getting We3words on your phone (999 service now use this).
https://what3words.com/products/what3words-app/

It was covered in a thread on this forum at some point.
Yeah, only if you want to send 999 to the wrong end of the county due to misheard homophones or plurals, all while furthering a private commercial attempt to seize control of geolocation. Better to enable Emergency SMS
https://firstaidtrainingcooperative.co. ... -text-999/
by mjr
23 Oct 2021, 12:03pm
Forum: On the road
Topic: reporting poor cycle lane condition
Replies: 19
Views: 331

Re: reporting poor cycle lane condition

County councillor would be better than the MP unless it is a National Highway, but well done on getting the job done.

No, it should not be needed, but motorists do not hesitate to escalate and nor must cyclists if we want our fair share of repairs.
by mjr
23 Oct 2021, 11:58am
Forum: Touring & Expedition
Topic: Using voicemail to record location in emergency
Replies: 24
Views: 478

Re: Using voicemail to record location in emergency

I would not waste my phone battery and credit navigating the voicemail menus to change the greeting. Actually, I switch voicemail off because I prefer unanswered callers to send texts and most voicemails are worthless "please call me back" which add nothing to the missed call log.
by mjr
23 Oct 2021, 11:55am
Forum: National Standard Cycle Training
Topic: Franklin's Cyclecraft - not fit for purpose?
Replies: 3
Views: 150

Re: Franklin's Cyclecraft - not fit for purpose?

Do you have particular bits you suggest are outdated?

Most of it still seems OK as survival tactics for a hostile environment, but the advice on cycleways is just wrong and will get you shouted at in places like Cambridge or MK. That is not outdated because things like hogging the middle were always wrong. There are a few notorious bits which could be seen as ableist today.

As far as I know, its only serious competition is another later book by the same author, IAM Advanced Cycling.
by mjr
22 Oct 2021, 6:15pm
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: Royal Succession
Replies: 47
Views: 769

Re: Royal Succession

Wilhelmus wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 4:10pm Philip, in honour of his father, might be a strong contender, as also might be George, with much precedent behind it. The outsider coming up fast along the rails, though, is Arthur. Thing is, would he be Arthur the First, suggesting that King Arthur was just a myth, or Arthur the Second?
If, as rumoured, he doesn't want to be Charles III to avoid offending supporters of the previous claimant to that number, he's definitely going to steer clear of angering the Camelot fans!

Philip is unlikely because the number reopens a similar debate about whether to count Philip II of Spain, jure uxoris King of England and Ireland, in the English numbering.

So that leaves George.

However, if he does astonishingly well or badly, then later Kings may not wish to be George VIII, so we could have King Alex IV in a few decades, assuming there isn't an uncharacteristic outbreak of sanity and a president elected instead of rule being inherited.
by mjr
21 Oct 2021, 1:26pm
Forum: On the road
Topic: Roundabouts
Replies: 47
Views: 1420

Re: Roundabouts

Pete Owens wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:58am That survey should have also asked the question "Have you ever used that junction?" then discounted anyone who answered "no".
Should opinions about building a bridge only count if they are from swimmers who have the crossed the shark-infested river?

It's worth asking and then looking at the difference, but I would not completely discount the views of those who have refused to use it.
by mjr
21 Oct 2021, 1:24pm
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: Sir David Amess MP. RIP
Replies: 94
Views: 1533

Re: Sir David Amess MP. RIP

reohn2 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:59pm
mjr wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:54pm
reohn2 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:41pm My point was not to connect an MP's brutal murder with his politics.
The political system is flawed would you not agree?
Yes, but is this an appropriate topic for that political discussion?
It's not an invitation for political discussion just a passing comment on the state democracy in the UK,but I take your point and have edited out of the post.
Thank you. Unlike Twitter and Fakebook which now let you switch off replies, we cannot stop other members of this site from replying, so there's not really any such thing as "just a passing comment".
by mjr
21 Oct 2021, 1:21pm
Forum: Campaigning & Public Policy
Topic: Sunderland LCWIP
Replies: 8
Views: 266

Re: Sunderland LCWIP

Pete Owens wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:21pm The problem is that there is a seperate cycling and walking plan at all. The whole purpose is to offer a distraction to active travel campaigners to endlessly talk in great detail about a small amount of resourses notionally targeted specifically at walking and cycling - allowing them to quietly get on with spending orders of magnitude more of autocenentric road schemes.
I think I agree with most of that apart from "endlessly". The LCWIP process does at least have a defined end... but it remains to be seen if many of them will reach that end stage (the evaluation after "implementation") before the regime changes yet again and restarts the planning.

There is a fair argument that we should have mobility plans but how would we avoid the problem of Local Transport Plans where the autocentric highways departments defended all their new motorist-encouraging measures by ranking motoring parts of the LTP above the active travel parts for massively spurious reasons?

Here's one of my old favourites used to justify giving NCN1 very long traffic light waits crossing a main road (actually "stroad" in modern use) because buses use the main road: "[a policy to prioritise sustainable transport] can equally be applied to bus use which is actively being promoted" and of course, this policy prioritisation strangely didn't apply at a junction where buses share the cycle route and they have to wait with cyclists.

It's worth remembering that LTP funding went overwhelmingly on the motoring projects even though it was all one pot. Even with the maximum subversions (like resurfacing half a mile of A road where a downgraded toucan was installed), having a distinct cycling and walking funding stream has meant that at least some money has been spent on active travel projects!

So this particular problem with LCWIPs is not necessarily a problem with Sunderland's. They do tend to be a bit Pollyanna and focus on "carrots" for walker and riders. That's probably necessary to keep the motoring lobby in check. Tactically, I'd put any motorist-discouraging "stick" policies into the air pollution, noise pollution and "living streets" retail and leisure policies instead because they will find it harder to argue in favour of gassing children and stressing residents than arguing against giving protected street space for cycling.
by mjr
21 Oct 2021, 12:54pm
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: Sir David Amess MP. RIP
Replies: 94
Views: 1533

Re: Sir David Amess MP. RIP

reohn2 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:41pm My point was not to connect an MP's brutal murder with his politics.
The political system is flawed would you not agree?
Yes, but is this an appropriate topic for that political discussion?
by mjr
21 Oct 2021, 11:43am
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: should politics be banned on the forum?
Replies: 312
Views: 8331

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

ncutler wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:34am
thirdcrank wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:18am I cannot resist this

A requiescat in pace post
And I cannot resist it either. As a "brave moderator" I have removed the original post.
Still looks to be there to me: viewtopic.php?p=1647068#p1647068
by mjr
21 Oct 2021, 11:18am
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: Sir David Amess MP. RIP
Replies: 94
Views: 1533

Re: Sir David Amess MP. RIP

reohn2 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 9:14am Amess' political leanings are beside the point.
The only fact relevant is that a democratically* elected representative of the people of the UK was brutally murdered by a terrorist/madman(take your pick) and the UK is the worse for that act.


*a very flawed type of democracy IMO
I agree and mourn for that reason, but sadly people keep making political points here, from the opening post to the above!

So.... isn't making Southend-on-Sea a city an insult to Amess? His arguments in Parliament for nearly four decades were ineffective and insufficient, but his murder convinced Boris? Amazing but it seems no one in the media dares question it.
by mjr
21 Oct 2021, 11:05am
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: should politics be banned on the forum?
Replies: 312
Views: 8331

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Oldjohnw wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:45am I mentioned the fact that he was an RC, as has every news bulletin and comment in the country. That he was a politician with certain views was a simple political fact.
However, your interpretation of those views is not.
His profession could not be left out. Nor the simple fact that he never sought office. And why on earth do I need to have known all about the man before simply acknowledging his murder?
You don't, nor did I suggest it. It wasn't the acknowledgement itself that was the problem.
That is quite different to bringing in religion and politics into something. Others did all of that.
No no no, it was there from the opening post.
But hey, I have learned my lesson. Where these pages go now is somewhere I don’t want to be, if you can’t even express human sympathy without people rolling in on you. I have seen something truly ugly. I am now leaving this forum. It’s a sad day when you have to agree with someone’s politics before you can express human sympathy and outrage against a heinous crime.
It wasn't the human sympathy that triggered the response. I'm sad to say it, as I feel you have often added useful info to discussions, but if you won't accept that it contained political points, it may be better if you left The Tea Room.

Returning to the thread topic, such "is this political or not?" posts would be a big problem with banning politics. It would be a brave moderator who removed an RIP post.
by mjr
21 Oct 2021, 1:00am
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: should politics be banned on the forum?
Replies: 312
Views: 8331

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Oldjohnw wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 9:52pm I think I am with Syd here. I am deeply saddened by what I can only assume is a lack of humanity with some. I started the RIP post in good faith but some have seen fit to turn it into a rant. I can do politics as good as anyone but I hoped that there would be some decency and decorum on a page respecting a murdered parliamentarian. How naive of me.
There were several things in that post which were IMO obviously likely to offend some religions, such as presuming to speak for others. Then you added the heady mix of politics by making claims like that Amess did "not have dictator tendencies" whereas in reality he did indeed vote to dictate how women and LGBT people behaved privately.

Leaving aside whether we agree with him or not, an RIP post was not a good place to raise political points like that, especially if you did not know of Amess and didn't know if you wrote truth. Decorum and decency would have been to leave politics out of it. Probably religion too.

I had no polite answer so posted nothing but I'm not surprised someone took the bait.