Search found 74 matches

by DaveBeck
14 Jun 2021, 9:07am
Forum: Campaigning & Public Policy
Topic: Today programme and reg. numbers for us.
Replies: 102
Views: 2732

Re: Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

mjr wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:44am
What hook did Today give for this spasm of bike-bashing?
There didn't seem to be anything specific, I heard them say just before 8am that there would be an item on in the next hour.
by DaveBeck
14 Jun 2021, 8:37am
Forum: Campaigning & Public Policy
Topic: Today programme and reg. numbers for us.
Replies: 102
Views: 2732

Re: Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

Just heard it. Kevin O' Sullivan was picked to speak against compulsory numbers on tabards for cyclists. Not sure by whom?

Mr Loophole used the number plate argument, the gist of which is that it would make cyclists easier to identify and therefore they would cycle within the law and not jump red lights etc.

Unfortunately our guy completely ignored that, going on about it would drive down the number of cyclists, health and the like. While that is undoubtedly true, I think. He missed the open goal of pointing out to Loophole and the listeners, that obviously number plates on motor vehicles clearly don't have that effect on drivers.

I know this is unlikely to happen, probably because of the cost involved. So it's unlikely we will be "numbered up" anytime soon. But hopefully we'll have someone a bit more about them if it goes any further.
by DaveBeck
21 May 2021, 8:09am
Forum: Bikes & Bits – Technical section
Topic: Help with brake adjustment/tweaking
Replies: 19
Views: 856

Re: Help with brake adjustment/tweaking

MountainSurfer wrote: 20 May 2021, 9:51pm
I've also moved away both calipers from the rim and done a bit of tweaking with the centring so now there's a bit more travel in the lever before the pads touch the rims.
If I've read this correctly, you adjusted it so that the pads so that they are further away from the rim, when the brakes are off?

You should probably redo them and get the pads closer when the brake levers aren't applied. The closer you can get them to the rims, the more time they will be in contact when you apply the brake lever, and so the harder they will squeeze on the rims when the brakes are fully applied. It could be that because of this that your brakes aren't so efficient.

Dave B
by DaveBeck
4 May 2021, 9:18pm
Forum: Does anyone know … ?
Topic: Sustrans map unavailable
Replies: 20
Views: 929

Re: Sustrans map unavailable

peetee wrote: 4 May 2021, 5:32pm I can thoroughly recommend DaveBecks rides having been on a few myself. He’s a very knowledgable and savvy chap who always keeps riders abilities and confidence and the safety of the group at the front of his mind.
Thanks Pete, that's very nice of you to say.

Dave
by DaveBeck
4 May 2021, 9:17pm
Forum: Does anyone know … ?
Topic: Sustrans map unavailable
Replies: 20
Views: 929

Re: Sustrans map unavailable

elderlygentleman wrote: 4 May 2021, 4:36pm Thanks Dave. I'd be interested in meeting sometime.
OK, we'll have to arrange a time soon.

Dave
by DaveBeck
4 May 2021, 4:10pm
Forum: Does anyone know … ?
Topic: Sustrans map unavailable
Replies: 20
Views: 929

Re: Sustrans map unavailable

elderlygentleman wrote: 4 May 2021, 3:58pm
DaveBeck wrote: 3 May 2021, 5:06pm If you are anywhere near Penzance, I am leading a short bike ride from Penzance railway station to Mousehole and back on Wednesday, meeting at the station at 1030hrs. The week after I shall be going from Lelant to St Ives and back

Or if you are near Bodmin, I'm doing a ride along part of the Camel Trail on this Thursday, starting at 1000hrs.

Both rides are free to join and are part of The Cornwall Bicycle Project CIC. Look on their Facebook page for more information. It would be nice to meet you and I could tell you more about routes in Cornwall

Dave B
Many thanks. I can't make these but would be interested in any others you might be doing.
Hi,

You're not too far from me actually! I'll let you know.

Dave B
by DaveBeck
3 May 2021, 5:06pm
Forum: Does anyone know … ?
Topic: Sustrans map unavailable
Replies: 20
Views: 929

Re: Sustrans map unavailable

If you are anywhere near Penzance, I am leading a short bike ride from Penzance railway station to Mousehole and back on Wednesday, meeting at the station at 1030hrs. The week after I shall be going from Lelant to St Ives and back

Or if you are near Bodmin, I'm doing a ride along part of the Camel Trail on this Thursday, starting at 1000hrs.

Both rides are free to join and are part of The Cornwall Bicycle Project CIC. Look on their Facebook page for more information. It would be nice to meet you and I could tell you more about routes in Cornwall

Dave B
by DaveBeck
10 Apr 2021, 11:11am
Forum: Electric bikes
Topic: E-BIKES KIT CONVERSIONS
Replies: 85
Views: 4656

Re: E-BIKES FOR ALL

Cyril Haearn wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:51am 24.8 kmh is bad enough. Lots of €bike riders upgrade their machines to go faster than allowed.
I think we both agree and hopefully everyone else here, that riding at anywhere near 15.5mph (24.8kph) when passing walkers, horse riders, children or dogs in a confined space like a shared use path maybe isn't the best thing to do.

I do know at least eight people that I regularly cycle with, admittedly al past their 50's, who ride ebikes. Some are road-bike versions, some mountain bike types. None of them have derestricted their bikes. I would be interested to see your source that talks about people derestricting the ebike to exceed the legal limit for the UK.

Dave B
by DaveBeck
10 Apr 2021, 10:43am
Forum: Electric bikes
Topic: E-BIKES KIT CONVERSIONS
Replies: 85
Views: 4656

Re: E-BIKES FOR ALL

Cyril Haearn wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 9:26am
There may be benefits to €bikes for people who otherwise could not cycle, but there are lots of minuses, young fit people who buy them because they can and endanger others. On shared paths where children are gambolling these €bikers whizz along silently at 30 kmh :?
That is as likely, or more likely with non electric assist bikes, as the legal ebikes in the UK are limited to 15.5mph (24.8kph). A speed which most moderately fit cyclists on a non ebike could exceed on the flat with ease. If you are on a shared use path with people, children, dogs etc, riding at those sort speeds, electric assisted or not, you shouldn't be riding anywhere close to 15.5mph when you pass them.
by DaveBeck
13 Mar 2021, 10:52am
Forum: Lands End to John O'Groats
Topic: lejog advice please
Replies: 45
Views: 3122

Re: lejog advice please

island girl wrote:
I am plotting Mick F route from LE to St Columb Major. A couple of concerns - I have been told to avoid A30 as it is a very busy road. Is the A30 ok traffic wise between Penzance and Hayle ? Is the A30 ok traffic wise between Blackwater and St Columb Major ? Is there a hard shoulder ?


Hi,

I cycle these roads, or at least some of them regularly. The A30 between Penzance can be a very busy road, although I personally like this bit as it is a fast road to cycle. There is a cycle lane of sorts, more farcility than facility in places, but you can keep far enough over to be clear of the vehicles. Go through Hayle, as it's flatter than the bypass.

The A30 between Blackwater and Zelah is an awful road to cycle, depending upon the day and time you cycle it. No hard shoulder or even the usual "cycle lane made out of the gutter" farcility we so often see. I rode it early on Sunday morning around 9am back in 2006, when we did our LEJOG. At that time it's not so bad. But during weekdays, if traffic gets back to pre-lockdown levels, I'd ride it, probably, but I'd be glad when I'd completed that bit.

If you are going to St Columb Major from Blackwater, you will be taking the road towards Newquay. It can also be a busy road and there's no wide gutter or hard shoulder, but not as bad as the A30.

Dave B
by DaveBeck
7 Jan 2021, 8:59am
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021
Replies: 897
Views: 23114

Re: Covid-19 : 2nd Lockdown 2020 : 3rd Lockdown 2021

Vorpal wrote:
Cowsham wrote:on my way home from work tonight about 7.30pm there was a petrol station closed but a couple of fast food takeaways open! what makes a fast food takeaway essential but petrol station not ?

If you are meant to stay in your local area, you don't need petrol. You do, however, still need food.


Depends where you live surely? In cities and big towns maybe. But if you live in the rural parts of somewhere like Cornwall, a vehicle and therefore fuel, are essential.

Dave B
by DaveBeck
28 Dec 2020, 1:40pm
Forum: On the road
Topic: How many days cycled 2020?
Replies: 19
Views: 958

Re: How many days cycled 2020?

305 rides in around 250+ days. 5300 miles.

Sadly done a lot more since all the lockdowns as not able to work.

Dave B
by DaveBeck
15 Dec 2020, 8:40pm
Forum: Health and fitness
Topic: Would you take a vaccine against CV? Vote now please!
Replies: 1354
Views: 38545

Re: Would you take a vaccine against CV? Vote now please!

Cyril Haearn wrote:I think I may be right in asserting that nobody knows what shall happen in future


Well, you don't seem to be a team player do you Cyril. I hope you can live with yourself if you ever find out that you have infected and subsequently cause the death of somebody because of your refusal to be vaccinated.

The vaccine isn't to protect just you, it's to protect the rest of us as well.
by DaveBeck
8 Dec 2020, 7:36am
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: "Record" End-to-End prosecution
Replies: 94
Views: 2262

Re: "Record" End-to-End prosecution

Cyril Haearn wrote:You are not my mate

I drove for more than 30 years, so I know what I am talking about too. Fascinating that we have such different perceptions, shame about your tone. I am in theory interested in learning about other views, but..

'Accidents' occur in vast numbers, the cops say that very few are indeed 'accidental', they occur because drivers go too fast, follow too close, ignore stop signs, use the phone etc &c

I submit that 1800 deaths and 150 000 serious injuries, countless 'minor injuries' and near-'accidents' in a year indicate a lot of bad driving


No, and you're not my mate either, me 'ansome.

Why won't you answer my question? I don't want to know your address, just the area, so we can contrast and compare the differences. I would have thought that anyone interested in "theory" would be glad to do that, for the purposes of research.

Dave B
by DaveBeck
8 Dec 2020, 6:50am
Forum: The Tea Shop
Topic: "Record" End-to-End prosecution
Replies: 94
Views: 2262

Re: "Record" End-to-End prosecution

Cyril Haearn wrote:I mean, observe how many drivers stop at Stop signs! Hardly any
They obviously can not read

Driving crime is ubiquitous, wherever one lives


40 plus years of driving, which includes queuing at junctions with stop signs, has given me plenty of time to observe how many drivers stop. Which is why I can tell you that you are wrong.

Why don't you tell us where you live? Where this lawless hellhole is. But you won't.

To be honest mate, I think you are just making all this up. It's certainly doesn't fit in with my experience of a lifetime of driving.

Dave B