Search found 1165 matches

by Ron
26 Jan 2019, 7:36pm
Forum: Lands End to John O'Groats
Topic: Inverness to JoG on NCN1?
Replies: 9
Views: 2027

Re: Inverness to JoG on NCN1?

On our LEJOG we followed the section of NCN1 from Ardgay to Invershin (after coming over from Alness), crossing the railway bridge at Invershin. In our opinion the crossing is dangerous for cyclists! It is true what you say, the reason for the current NCN1 routing was to ease access to the nearby C...
by Ron
26 Jan 2019, 7:19pm
Forum: Lands End to John O'Groats
Topic: Inverness to JoG on NCN1?
Replies: 9
Views: 2027

Re: Inverness to JoG on NCN1?

Boring_Username wrote:NCN1 via Alness looks good on paper at first sight - any personal experience?

The route via Alness is good, there is a fairly stiff climb out of Dingwall, with a new cafe at the highest point, but motor traffic on the route should not be troublesome.
by Ron
26 Jan 2019, 7:08pm
Forum: Campaigning & Public Policy
Topic: Elderly drivers: when is it time to hand over the car keys?
Replies: 168
Views: 8787

Re: Elderly drivers: when is it time to hand over the car keys?

mattsccm wrote:Any rural dweller will tell you that a car is essential.

A popular argument, but for many present rural dwellers, if they had not had a car in the first place, or been unable to drive for any reason they would never have moved to a rural location.
by Ron
20 Jan 2019, 11:34am
Forum: Campaigning & Public Policy
Topic: Hand in your driving licence?
Replies: 3
Views: 1701

Re: Hand in your driving licence?

Public Transport . The Government spend big bucks subsidising Busses, you can see various companies following one another around lucrative routes . Government spending on bus subsidies is minimal in comparison to that paid to protect cheap private motoring. The vision of buses from various companie...
by Ron
22 Dec 2018, 9:40pm
Forum: Touring & Expedition
Topic: "What you bring on your ride needs to go home with you."
Replies: 179
Views: 4905

Re: "What you bring on your ride needs to go home with you."

reohn2 wrote:.The human race are a filthy species,it never fails to amaze me what people simply leave by the side of the road in the most beautiful parts of the country,from couches and beds to today's lunch Mac litter.

The whole human race?
I think the Brits are worse than many of their Euro neighbours.
by Ron
16 Dec 2018, 2:25pm
Forum: Lands End to John O'Groats
Topic: Lejog
Replies: 9
Views: 1902

Re: Lejog

I understand this a formidable ride...................... my heads telling me surely 50miles a day is easy ? And time is of no rush so maybe 20 days ,forget the planning and b'n'bs thats a whole different thing. I just wondered how easy, hard , achievable this task is , I hope this doesn't come acr...
by Ron
3 Oct 2018, 11:46pm
Forum: Lands End to John O'Groats
Topic: Caledonian Sleeper
Replies: 43
Views: 30773

Re: Caledonian Sleeper

I got it wrong or there's been some delay, I was sure they were due to go into service this year. . You did not get it wrong, we were promised new rolling stock in service this summer(2018). According to the BBC report only some of the wagons have yet arrived in this country from Spain via Cz Repub...
by Ron
3 Oct 2018, 9:32am
Forum: Lands End to John O'Groats
Topic: Caledonian Sleeper
Replies: 43
Views: 30773

Re: Caledonian Sleeper

There is a further update on the sleeper.scot website, new wagons on all routes by the end of May 2019.
by Ron
28 Sep 2018, 6:14pm
Forum: Lands End to John O'Groats
Topic: Caledonian Sleeper
Replies: 43
Views: 30773

Re: Caledonian Sleeper

PH wrote:Are the new carriages in service yet? If so are they on all routes?

No, in a message on the website dated 14/08/2018 they say..... introduction in just a few short months.
For latest news click on https://www.sleeper.scot/ and scroll down to Cal Sleeper Press Releases.
by Ron
28 Sep 2018, 11:00am
Forum: Helmets sub-forum
Topic: Warning anecdotal helmet comment!
Replies: 37
Views: 1508

Re: Warning anecdotal helmet comment!

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: When your head hits the tarmac...... the next time you fall off

You make it sound as if falling on your head is an inevitable part of being a cyclist :( .
by Ron
18 Sep 2018, 3:48pm
Forum: Does anyone know … ?
Topic: GCSE Project - Hi-Vis / Safety
Replies: 58
Views: 2074

Re: GCSE Project - Hi-Vis / Safety

Perhaps you could develop special spectacles which would "see" cyclists, these would be compulsory wear for drivers and have electrodes in the legs which would apply an electric shock across the brain of the driver when his/her vehicle came within range of a cyclist. The message to the bra...
by Ron
12 Sep 2018, 1:21pm
Forum: Lands End to John O'Groats
Topic: LEJOG April 2019
Replies: 49
Views: 5745

Re: LEJOG April 2019

Unless you had some specific reason, you might wish to reconsider a section of Day 16, the planned route takes you on to an un-surfaced farm road and involves unnecessary climbing. Suggested amendment* Day 16 At 11 mile point turn left on to B 9176, *then after approx 200 metres turn right on to the...
by Ron
8 Sep 2018, 2:52pm
Forum: Campaigning & Public Policy
Topic: The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’
Replies: 139
Views: 7792

Re: The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Somehow, by creating off road infrastructure we have ended up turning cycling from a fuel free way of getting around to just another reason for burning gas. Just the reverse on a local route in my locality where the numbers of people walking and cycling was falling year on year disincentivised by t...
by Ron
6 Sep 2018, 9:02am
Forum: Touring & Expedition
Topic: A Holland-touring newbie seeks wisdom...
Replies: 33
Views: 1607

Re: A Holland-touring newbie seeks wisdom...

I found it interesting to visit Schokland, an ex-island!
https://www.werelderfgoed.nl/en/world-h ... rroundings
by Ron
2 Sep 2018, 2:19pm
Forum: On the road
Topic: Should you have lights on during the day?
Replies: 328
Views: 12302

Re: Should you have lights on during the day?

I don't want to be distracted from dangers on the road by vehicles exhibiting their completely unnecessary 'look at me' lights when travelling in compliance with the law.