Decathlon tights

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gazza81

Decathlon tights

Post by Gazza81 »

I bought a pair of there padded bib tights, the problem im finding is the pad is all at the front where its not really doing anything and my sit bones are litrally on the edge of the pad.

Im really new to all this but im guessing its just because they are cheap? Paid £20.

Anyone else find this with them?
NUKe

Re: Decathlon tights

Post by NUKe »

Don't know the particular bib tights you refer to, but it could be the way you are putting them on, you may be able to adjust the pad backward, had a pair of Dhb ones that were a bit fiddly to get everything in the correct place .
NUKe

Post by SimonCelsa »

I bought a pair of these Decathlon bib tights:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-warm-cy ... 9YQAvD_BwE

Only done 3 x 100 km winter rides so far but they seem OK, pad is in the right position, a little chafing wear apparent on the front of the padded area but nothing really unexpected. Reasonably satisfied so far,

All the best, Simon
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I don't know them either, but just because they are cheap, doesn't mean they should not be fit for purpose. If the pad is in the wrong place it is either a manufacturing or fit problem and, provided you've got the right size it is more likely the former. I'd take them back.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I have Decathlon bib tights in both the orange-padded and blue-padded variants. The pads don’t cover a generous area but they are roughly in the right place for me. However, that’s with a low, road-bike posture. For more upright riding such as slow touring, I might indeed run out of pad at the back.

If you’re new to this, be aware that you have to really hike them up to be comfortable, at least if you’re a man. The pad should be jammed into your crotch all the way around. To achieve this I do a sort of ju-jitsu stance (nearly doing the splits) while pulling up the material all around each leg in turn. They should be almost uncomfortably tight before you sit on the bicycle.

When they’re that tight, the pad pretty much sits where it’s left, so to a degree you can adjust the pad forward and back.
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

Well i got xl because the reviews all said they come up small, they feel comfortable on, im 32 waist 32 leg.

Might drop a size and see if that makes any differance
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

For reference, my jeans size is about 32/32 inches and I wear the Medium in Decathlon bib tights. They should be tight. That’s where the comfort comes from, because then the material doesn’t move against your skin.
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

Ok thanks

Seems like i need to drop a size or 2 then
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

not put them on 'back to front' have you?? the low bit goes towards the front, so your chest is bare , so to speak.
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

yostumpy wrote:not put them on 'back to front' have you?? the low bit goes towards the front, so your chest is bare , so to speak.

Haha i thought that myself but no, the labels are at the back too
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

The thing with these tights is they look quite short in the leg too, cant compere to others as only used these so hoping i dont go down sizes and look silly with a big gap between tights and shoe haha
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I used to rave about decathlon shorts but the quality of the current bib shorts leaves much to be desired.
The fabric was very thin and bobbled and turned into holes on the inner thigh even though i could see no where that it was catching on the bike/ saddle etc, the pad seemed overly wide at the front causing bunching .
Took them back and exchanged on the off chance it was just a quality control issue and the next pair went the same after only a few rides, i have other shorts that are years old with no signs of bobbles or holes that were cheaper ( dhb essentials )
Mamil mag c+ just reviewed the 3/4 shorts and said they they though they were very thin too so im guessing that the tights are similar.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Gazza81

Post by Gazza81 »

Well i cant comment on the quality yet not really used them long

I exchanged mine for medium and they do feel better but the pad still feels like it needs to be moved back a couple inches
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I've got 2 pairs of these tights, both on their second year of wear , both super comfy.
I wear a 2xl as i'm 6' 3" and 115 kg but i can't fault them.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rogerbodger

Post by rogerbodger »

I have Decathlon shorts and tights, both 500 & 900 versions (orange & blue pad respectively) - find them comfortable to wear. I'm 6'0", 34" waist, 32" leg .... size L in the shorts/tights fit me well