Bike purchase gone wrong : sold a 2016 model : expecting 2018 : now what?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: Bike purchase gone wrong : sold a 2016 model : expecting 2018 : now what?

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Good - it seems you've learnt something too.

How could I fail to?

Yep and hopefully you've learnt that condition is far more important than year of manufacture when pricing or buying a secondhand bike.

In the OP's situation with two 'new' bikes the condition is likely to be quite similar, I'd have thought, just taking a flying guess.

So, to repeat myself, particularly if he wanted to sell on quickly the 2018 would have retained significantly more value than the 2016, it being this year's model and as such more desirable. That was echoed in my research when buying another bike from the Whyte range.

In short, I was answering the OP's query, at least until we went on a voyage via small ads, various, a moon and much else :wink:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:How could I fail to?

Yep and hopefully you've learnt that condition is far more important than year of manufacture when pricing or buying a secondhand bike.

In the OP's situation with two 'new' bikes the condition is likely to be quite similar, I'd have thought, just taking a flying guess.

So, to repeat myself, particularly if he wanted to sell on quickly the 2018 would have retained significantly more value than the 2016, it being this year's model and as such more desirable. That was echoed in my research when buying another bike from the Whyte range.

In short, I was answering the OP's query, at least until we went on a voyage via small ads, various, a moon and much else :wink:

Except you were giving him wrong advice . As other here have pointed out if anything the 2016 has a better spec - interested in why you think a bike with a lesser spec is more desirable?
The hundred quid offered more than compensates for any slight difference in value there maybe.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Because newer. Because latest. Because the buyer of a Whyte Urban Series 1x9 bike doesn't pore over the spec sheet like you or I might, they are more interested in the latest model, colour etc. That's why.

ETA
£600 new 2018
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/hy ... 6DEALw_wcB

£450 new 2016 stock
https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/ ... I_ID=20754
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Slightly incomplete info from a first time poster and the norm is that we will never hear from him again. Lets' hope its different this time.

He says he bought the bike, but gives no detail about the purchase procedure. For example did he look at that bike in the showroom, maybe test ride it and then agree to buy? Then it would seem he agreed to buy that model. OK, shop maybe a bit sneaky for not saying its 2 years old.

Were there current models in the shop that he was (or was not) shown? I'd be most worried if I was shown latest model, then given old model as that is clearly deception.

If you go to but a washing machine and you like the one on the shop floor and agree to buy it - must you be told if it is an old model? Maybe one for the lawyers

Even with cars, unless you know how to check from chassis number, you don't know exactly when it was manufactured if the model hasn't changed. It is the date of registration that is important.

Edit oooops, missed page 3 when reading through, but my post still stands.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Well not exactly 'gone wrong' seeing as you've ended up with arguably a better bike and £100. An issue if you are thinking of selling the bike soon, otherwise largely an issue of annoyance as the shop should have been more up front.