...why it's so difficult to find the Cycling UK shop?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gaz

Re: ...why it's so difficult to find the Cycling UK shop?

Postby gaz » 5 Dec 2018, 8:33pm

fausto99 wrote:
gaz wrote:https://shop.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-touring-club-cloth-badge
very nice but not what I want at all. ...

It might not be what you wanted, but it was exactly what you asked for :wink: .
fausto99 wrote:
JakobW wrote:At least CUK are now selling nice retro winged wheel patches suitable for saddlebags...

Where?

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 5 Dec 2018, 9:02pm

freiston wrote:I bought a couple from H. Lloyd about three years ago:

https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/pr ... -be-missed

Huh, that's just the ticket - they weren't showing up on the main page when I looked. Might have to get a couple for the bits box, thanks!

On the patches more generally, Pip in membership services very kindly sent me some FOC when I emailed a while back asking whether they still had any CTC patches kicking around; they're identical to the current ones apart from the lettering in the centre of the roundel being a sans serif (vs. the current retro gothic).

RickH

Postby RickH » 5 Dec 2018, 9:03pm

fausto99 wrote:... I think the winged wheel is the best logo ever for a cycling organization.

That's probably why the CTC pinched the design from the League of American Wheelmen (or possibly the other way round)! :lol:

st599_uk

Postby st599_uk » 6 Dec 2018, 2:46pm

freiston wrote:
JakobW wrote:
gaz wrote:https://shop.cyclinguk.org/cycling-uk-shop

I'm not aware of where to find such stickers and I suspect that they are no longer in production.

IIRC H. Lloyd Cycles (the purveyors of frame transfers) occasionally have them on their eBay shop; they don't seem to have them on their main website.

At least CUK are now selling nice retro winged wheel patches suitable for saddlebags/panniers/etc. again; not quite as cool as the vintage ones, but they'll do the trick...

I bought a couple from H. Lloyd about three years ago:

Very nice, but I'd spend the entire ride with my OCD going mad about the missing apostrophe.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 6 Dec 2018, 3:10pm

RickH wrote:
fausto99 wrote:... I think the winged wheel is the best logo ever for a cycling organization.

That's probably why the CTC pinched the design from the League of American Wheelmen (or possibly the other way round)! :lol:

Good question. LAW was founded in 1880 and by 1898 certainly was using a winged wheel logo

~1898-1899 LAW membership card

but the same logo does not appear on this;
1885 membership card.

CTC was originally founded in 1878 under a slightly different title and was renamed CTC in 1883 to admit tricyclists. Not sure when the CTC winged wheel first appeared but by 1887 they were using it on permanent cast iron plaques to indicate 'approved' hostelries etc.

early iron CTC plaque with thirty spokes. Later versions of the logo usually have 36 spokes.

The logos were spookily similar; in many versions both appear to have a 36 spoke wheel and the wings seem to be similarly oriented/disposed, (but not always eg in the current LoAB version; here the wings are 'flying' CW not ACW) .

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

freiston

Postby freiston » 6 Dec 2018, 3:42pm

st599_uk wrote:
freiston wrote:
JakobW wrote:
IIRC H. Lloyd Cycles (the purveyors of frame transfers) occasionally have them on their eBay shop; they don't seem to have them on their main website.

At least CUK are now selling nice retro winged wheel patches suitable for saddlebags/panniers/etc. again; not quite as cool as the vintage ones, but they'll do the trick...

I bought a couple from H. Lloyd about three years ago:

Very nice, but I'd spend the entire ride with my OCD going mad about the missing apostrophe.

It could be argued that the possessive apostrophe is no longer appropriate :wink:

(I have to admit that I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out - it's going to niggle me now).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

PH

Postby PH » 6 Dec 2018, 4:20pm

fausto99 wrote:I think the winged wheel is the best logo ever for a cycling organization.

I once got a none cycling colleague to show the winged wheel around the workplace and ask what people thought it was. The most popular answer was it had something to do with aviation, something to do with propellers and jets, maybe a preservation group. Out of about thirty people, five knew what it was, five guessed it had something to do with cycling and the rest really had no idea. I know lots of members have a sentimental attachment to it, but as an emblem that is recognised as a cycling one it's long been a failure.

mjr

Postby mjr » 6 Dec 2018, 4:55pm

PH wrote:
fausto99 wrote:I think the winged wheel is the best logo ever for a cycling organization.

I once got a none cycling colleague to show the winged wheel around the workplace and ask what people thought it was. The most popular answer was it had something to do with aviation, something to do with propellers and jets, maybe a preservation group. Out of about thirty people, five knew what it was, five guessed it had something to do with cycling and the rest really had no idea. I know lots of members have a sentimental attachment to it, but as an emblem that is recognised as a cycling one it's long been a failure.

So ten out of 30? A third guessing the purpose seems quite good to me for such an unpromoted brand! Would you like to bet on a third of people guessing that the white-C-on-orange that CUK now uses as a logo (below, linked from the live website) is anything to do with cycling?

Of course, the immediately-previous logo (the blue/yellow bike one) would probably be the best, but that seemed to be hated and it did look dated. Probably an updated version would have been best, but that doesn't show the CEO's power to rebrand.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 6 Dec 2018, 5:05pm

I agree 1/3 guessing correctly is actually a pretty good result.

The orange C is just... an orange C. It says nothing about anything, except (wrongly) hinting at vitamins and fruit juice perhaps.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PH

Postby PH » 6 Dec 2018, 5:06pm

mjr wrote:So ten out of 30? A third guessing the purpose

No
5 knew, so it wouldn't have mattered what it was.
5 guessed. You may think that good, I don't.
Of course, the immediately-previous logo (the blue/yellow bike one) would probably be the best, but that seemed to be hated and it did look dated.

Yes I liked it and the local CTC group are pleased to still us it on their mudguard stickers
badge.jpg

PH

Postby PH » 6 Dec 2018, 5:08pm

Brucey wrote:The orange C is just... an orange C. It says nothing about anything, except (wrongly) hinting at vitamins and fruit juice perhaps.... :roll:

So where do you see an orange C used as a logo, except where it also has text saying what it is?

freiston

Postby freiston » 6 Dec 2018, 7:35pm

PH wrote:
Brucey wrote:The orange C is just... an orange C. It says nothing about anything, except (wrongly) hinting at vitamins and fruit juice perhaps.... :roll:

So where do you see an orange C used as a logo, except where it also has text saying what it is?

That got me curious - admittedly logos are rarely used without context (even the McDonald's "M" which is probably recognised around the world without context is still usually seen in context) but the following are all an orange C with no other "clue" in the logo (the Caviar logo is orange background but also exists with orange letter).

American food delivery company 'Caviar' app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caviar- ... ?l=es&mt=8

Chicaco Bears logo http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/3 ... rnate_Logo

The logo to Contagious 2012 (a religious event) https://contagiousbibleministries.wordp ... ious-2012/
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

gaz

Postby gaz » 6 Dec 2018, 7:57pm

Brucey wrote:... Not sure when the CTC winged wheel first appeared ...

The original logo was officially usurped by the Winged Wheel in 1886. Trademark 1885.

st599_uk wrote:Very nice, but I'd spend the entire ride with my OCD going mad about the missing apostrophe.

It is not missing, it is absent by design. The company name is officially registered without an apostrophe :mrgreen: .

AndyK

Postby AndyK » 6 Dec 2018, 9:18pm

mjr wrote:So ten out of 30? A third guessing the purpose seems quite good to me for such an unpromoted brand!

I'm guessing the other 20 said "Isn't that the Rotary Club or something?"

Would you like to bet on a third of people guessing that the white-C-on-orange that CUK now uses as a logo (below, linked from the live website) is anything to do with cycling?

That's not the logo. The only place you'll find the "C" is appearing as the "favicon" for the website - that's the tiny icon that appears in the web browesr tab. The favicon space is so small that there's no way you can sensibly fit a complex logo in, so they're often designed to give just a tiny hint of the website's logo. The clue is in the name of the image you found: apple-touch-icon-180x180.png.

The logo and its use are laid out in the Cycling UK guidelines - the whole "We are Cycling UK" logo must always be used, though "the cyclists' champion" straplione is optional.

Of course, the immediately-previous logo (the blue/yellow bike one) would probably be the best, but that seemed to be hated and it did look dated. Probably an updated version would have been best, but that doesn't show the CEO's power to rebrand.

I agree with that. I liked the yellow-and-blue bike. It's the only one of the logos that really said "cycling".

RickH

Postby RickH » 6 Dec 2018, 9:19pm

mjr wrote:
PH wrote:

So ten out of 30? A third guessing the purpose seems quite good to me for such an unpromoted brand! Would you like to bet on a third of people guessing that the white-C-on-orange that CUK now uses as a logo (below, linked from the live website) is anything to do with cycling?

But that isn't really a logo - it is an "icon" you will get it in the tab at the top of your browser as a help to identify what webpage you are on (The forum has a blue "c" with a tiny speech bubble. It could also be used as a social media "avatar" (the little picture many of us use here & elsewhere). Situations where the full logo would be too small to be legible.

The Cycling UK logo is

(or the equivalent in Welsh)
Either with or without the "The cyclists' champion" strapline. Fairly easy to spot the cycling connection there. :lol:

In answer to my earlier statement about the WInged Wheel
Carlton Reid, in Roads Were Not Built For Cars, wrote:The L.A.W. was extensively modelled on Britain’s Cyclists’ Touring Club. (The traffic wasn’t all one way – the CTC’s winged wheel logo with medieval-style lettering was a blatant copy of the L.A.W. logo.)