Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
not4u
Posts: 9
Joined: 3 Aug 2015, 1:55pm

Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby not4u » 14 Mar 2019, 8:40pm

Hi you,

i don't comment much...i like to sit in the background unseen and watch instead...

I have a little bit of a problem whilst i am at work.. i can't stop thinking about bikes.. all types of bikes..

It is that obsessive i am on here whilst i am getting paid at work and being disciplined due to no fault of my own but an cycling forum addict.

I am even trying to log on every possible chance i can get due to my work laptop being bugged.. Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

I need help and tips on how to stop.. my colleagues are on to me..................

reohn2
Posts: 35892
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby reohn2 » 14 Mar 2019, 8:54pm

A trickcyclist could help with the therapy :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

David9694
Posts: 346
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby David9694 » 14 Mar 2019, 9:04pm

Either you’re finding your job dead boring or we’re a terribly interesting bunch.

not4u
Posts: 9
Joined: 3 Aug 2015, 1:55pm

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby not4u » 14 Mar 2019, 9:08pm

David9694 wrote:Either you’re finding your job dead boring or we’re a terribly interesting bunch.



I think it may be that i am the boring one... :shock:

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13699
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby gaz » 14 Mar 2019, 9:31pm

not4u wrote:I have a little bit of a problem whilst i am at work.. i can't stop thinking about bikes.. all types of bikes..

Perhaps a change of employment is in order: https://www.cyclinguk.org/jobs
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

MarcusT
Posts: 264
Joined: 31 Jan 2017, 10:33am

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby MarcusT » 15 Mar 2019, 5:20am

The job is just a day gig.
Every time I look outside and say "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"
Then I remember that these long, trudging days pay for what I love to do.

One day it will end, I will retire, then I'll be painting my own house, doing yard work, retiling the bathroom saying "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"
I wish it were simple as riding a bike

reohn2
Posts: 35892
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby reohn2 » 15 Mar 2019, 7:55am

MarcusT wrote:The job is just a day gig.
Every time I look outside and say "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"
Then I remember that these long, trudging days pay for what I love to do.

One day it will end, I will retire, then I'll be painting my own house, doing yard work, retiling the bathroom saying "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"

Better off saving up then pack the job in and ride around the world :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

francovendee
Posts: 954
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby francovendee » 15 Mar 2019, 8:54am

reohn2 wrote:
MarcusT wrote:The job is just a day gig.
Every time I look outside and say "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"
Then I remember that these long, trudging days pay for what I love to do.

One day it will end, I will retire, then I'll be painting my own house, doing yard work, retiling the bathroom saying "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"

Better off saving up then pack the job in and ride around the world :)


Now now, isn't that like offering drugs to an addict :shock:

reohn2
Posts: 35892
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby reohn2 » 15 Mar 2019, 1:45pm

francovendee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Better off saving up then pack the job in and ride around the world :)


Now now, isn't that like offering drugs to an addict :shock:

Seeing as you put it like that,yes.
Great addiction though innit? :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Grandad
Posts: 1040
Joined: 22 Nov 2007, 12:22am
Location: Kent

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby Grandad » 15 Mar 2019, 4:40pm

One day it will end, I will retire, then I'll be painting my own house, doing yard work, retiling the bathroom saying "what am I doing here when I could be riding?"

Have you been reading my diaries? :(

David9694
Posts: 346
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby David9694 » 15 Mar 2019, 10:28pm

Maybe you should open a bike shop - then all your distractions if you still have them would be healthy ones!

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 2131
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby TrevA » 16 Mar 2019, 9:38pm

View the forum using your smartphone, whilst making frequent visits to the toilet. You can blame a weak bladder.

Or work from home and browse on your tablet or home computer whilst being logged on to your work laptop.

You also need to perfect the art of appearing to do a lot, whilst not doing very much at all.

Witterings
Posts: 362
Joined: 8 Jun 2018, 10:17am
Location: Chichester, West Sussex

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby Witterings » 21 Mar 2019, 10:48pm

David9694 wrote:Maybe you should open a bike shop - then all your distractions if you still have them would be healthy ones!


I toyed with this idea about for about 3 seconds myself but wonder if that'd be when your hobby becomes your job and it takes a lot of the fun out of it and at the rate bike shops are closing at the moment not sure it's something I'd want to be considering ... he'd probably be out of a job quicker than taking his chances getting caught at work :-)

Slightly more serious though ... imagine you were the boss paying someone to work and they spent their life trawling through the web whether it be hobby related or social media ... wouldn't e long before I was questioning why I was paying them.

David9694
Posts: 346
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby David9694 » 21 Mar 2019, 11:38pm

TrevA wrote:You also need to perfect the art of appearing to do a lot, whilst not doing very much at all.


Lessons available at very reasonable rates!

Perhaps there’s a new thread coming on here : “is there any money in bikes?” Selling them, refrbishing them fixing them, training people to fix them?

My starter for 10 is “no.” E.g. Sell the customer the right bike, you won’t see him again for five+ years. Ok, maybe he’ll need some tyres, a chain, brake shoes or new handlebar tape in that time. He’ll probably take up a lot of your time with queries that don’t lead to a sale as well though.

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 845
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Is this forum really worth getting sacked over?

Postby 100%JR » 21 Mar 2019, 11:51pm

No it is not.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras Fracking is the future.