About bike shops for big people?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
random37

Re: About bike shops for big people?

Post by random37 »

Oldjohnw wrote:We are, rightly IMV, advised to have meat less. Back to the 1950s. Meat was a treat.

I wholeheartedly agree. The increase in fried chicken shops where I live is chilling, frankly.
It makes you wonder, though.
If you are dirt poor and knackered from a long day of work, what would you choose to feed your family? Would you spend £12 to take you and your kids on a bus into town to visit the butcher and the greengrocer? How are you going to get to the out of town supermarket? And how are you going to pay for the electricity?
It strikes me that if you wanted to take a family to a supermarket on bikes, the provision is not great. Lots of people wouldn't know where to start, and I don't think most bike shops would be able to help.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

random37 wrote:I wholeheartedly agree. The increase in fried chicken shops where I live is chilling, frankly......

My 12 year old grandson calls KFC Kid's Fat Club :D or should that be :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

random37 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:We are, rightly IMV, advised to have meat less. Back to the 1950s. Meat was a treat.

I wholeheartedly agree. The increase in fried chicken shops where I live is chilling, frankly.
It makes you wonder, though.
If you are dirt poor and knackered from a long day of work, what would you choose to feed your family? Would you spend £12 to take you and your kids on a bus into town to visit the butcher and the greengrocer? How are you going to get to the out of town supermarket? And how are you going to pay for the electricity?
It strikes me that if you wanted to take a family to a supermarket on bikes, the provision is not great. Lots of people wouldn't know where to start, and I don't think most bike shops would be able to help.

There is nothing 'super' about food stores
Porridge oats are the basis of my diet, very cheap

I used to eat at McBurger, when one ordered French Fries these were prepared then put to cool down while the burger was prepared, why? I preferred them hot :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Am I the only one a bit disappointed to find out that Pashley don't consider their offerings suitable for very heavy cyclists? Max load (rider + baggage) 120kg. For bikes that are rather on the heavy side that is not great.
random37

Post by random37 »

IIRC, the commercial bikes are rated at a higher weight. I read somewhere that the Pronto, Courier and P2 were designed to carry 180kg.

It's all pretty immaterial, really, I suspect the weight limits are arbitrary. The problems really overweight people are going to have are not going to be in breaking frames, it will be incidental problems like badly built wheels, that the bars will be too low to ride with a big stomach, and the saddle won't offer enough support for the subsequently more upright riding position.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I guess that weight limits are partly determined by the extreme end of what customers might do with their bikes, such as riding off the edge of the pavement or failing to avoid potholes.

And I wonder about saddle rails. I have broken a couple, so I know they are susceptible to cracking. And with the standard seatpost clamp there is next to no scope for increasing the rail diameter.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gbnz wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
random37 wrote:........ It is not a moral failing that you can change from willpower........

it is a change through willpower.
Only willpower will stop over eating,smoking or drug abuse,the right help may be needed but ultimately it's the person's want to stop and taking the next step to actually stopping that does it.

+1 humans control their conscious actions primarily by will power. Suppose the philosophical argument could be raised, that those who can't control their conscious actions aren't fully human?

Hmm so what you're implying is that people who can't control their eating are some sort of sub human. Nice. :roll:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
We are, rightly IMV, advised to have meat less. Back to the 1950s. Meat was a treat.

Eh? A chunk of my childhood was in the fifties and back then and in the sixties it was normal to have meat in most meals.

To get back to the original question Zize seem to make bikes with a weight limit of almost 40 stone. https://zizebikes.com/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
We are, rightly IMV, advised to have meat less. Back to the 1950s. Meat was a treat.

Eh? A chunk of my childhood was in the fifties and back then and in the sixties it was normal to have meat in most meals.

To get back to the original question Zize seem to make bikes with a weight limit of almost 40 stone. https://zizebikes.com/

We were obviously in considerable poverty since meat was rare - pun intended.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

We were obviously in considerable poverty since meat was rare - pun intended.

We weren't exactly wealthy either living in a council house and I can remember in about 1960 dad being pleased because he'd managed to earn a whole twenty quid in one week.

When I asked my mother why we didn't have breakfast cereals she said we couldn't afford them. We always had bacon and eggs. It cost little to feed a few chickens and one or two pigs - certainly less than buying Cornflakes. Rabbits were a common meat back then - costing little if shot and nowt if taken by dog or snare. Pigeons, pheasant, ducks, geese and eels found their way onto the table too. All low or no cost food.

Even before the war food was plentiful even if wages were low.. I remember an aunt saying her father moved to work on a different farm in 1927. Wages were only 30 bob a week(£1.50 to you) but they got a decent 3 bed house with half an acre of garden to grow stuff in, an allowance of 50 stone of bacon a year, several tons of potatoes, several tons of coal,free eggs, milk and butter from the farm and various joints of meat when sheep and cattle were slaughtered along with sausages, acelet, chine and fry at pig killing time. This in addition to the meat they got from their own pig. She said money may have been in short supply but food never was even during WW2.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm a 190cm 110kg Cyclist ... up hill down dale on everything from BTwin alloy framed bikes to 531 framed stuff.
My daily, touring and lejog ride, is a SPA /Jamis framed road bike concoction and i'm just selling my SPA Steel Touring because it's not getting enough use .... why do i need a special bike ...... ?
I don't, neither does any rider up to 125kg ... the mass limits on cycles are the usual legal escape route stuff ...
Any fat guys or girls actually broken a bike because of their mass out there ..... ?
Doubt it ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.