GPS screen magnifying

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

GPS screen magnifying

Postby mattsccm » 28 Jun 2020, 8:53pm

Any one come across a device/ bit of plastic that will magnify the screen of a GPS? The maps are just a touch too small to read if zoomed out to see a couple of miles of road. I have come across Fresnel sheets but they need to be held a few inches fton the oblect viewed.

ChrisF

Re: GPS screen magnifying

Postby ChrisF » 28 Jun 2020, 9:55pm

If I remember my physics (optics) correctly there has to be some distance between the object and the lens for any magnification. I use varifocal lenses in my specs to see my (phone) map while I'm riding.
Chris F, Cornwall

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 29 Jun 2020, 6:33am

Guess there could be a mm or two as there is a slight frame round the GPS plus a rubber cover. Glasses are out for several reasons.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Jun 2020, 8:41am

This was exactly the reason I bought a Garmin Montana in the first place.
Massive screen, and I can see it.

If your device is too small to see it properly, buy a bigger one.
Mick F. Cornwall

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 29 Jun 2020, 9:21am

I did. A Xiaomi Mi Max 3 with a 6.9 inch screen. I gave up on bike specific GPS units years ago.

philsknees

Postby philsknees » 29 Jun 2020, 11:16am

Only a partial solution but there are a few non-Fresnel, acrylic/crystal, nautical chart magnifiers available which are intended to sit directly on the chart so they can be slid around. Unfortunately they mostly seem to be circular and/or domed and not of quite of the size you'd want to cover the screen but there may be some mileage in checking out yacht chandlery websites just in case.......or maybe there's a cycling/yacht cruising type on here who can help?
Alternatively check the web for "Field Stand" (or Free Stand) Magnifiers which might turn up something - I'm thinking something like this:
https://www.bernell.com/product/MFS55/Stand-Magnifiers
which could possibly be adapted, though I fear it will take one of the premier GPS producers to take up the issue for a practical purpose-built (clip-on) solution to appear.
Overall, I'd personally be looking for a large-screen alternative as suggested above.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 29 Jun 2020, 2:19pm

Sadly my eyes have changed after i bought the device. The next one, hopefully not for some time will show a bigger map.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Jun 2020, 7:55pm

I know what you mean.

I had a Garmin 705 with a good mapping and info screen but it became way too small, so I bought the Montana.
Still need varifocals, but it's much better to see as everything is bigger.

Without glasses, I could just about cope, but it would be difficult.
Mick F. Cornwall

RickH

Postby RickH » 29 Jun 2020, 8:06pm

A lateral thought. Would using something like a minoura space grip, or similar accessory mount, fitted facing upwards help by raising the height of the GPS?

I'm a big fan of the varifocal inserts in my cycling glasses too. They mean I can see the road and my GPS. I have an Edge 1000 & the size helps too.

bazzo

Postby bazzo » 29 Jun 2020, 11:04pm

Mick F wrote:This was exactly the reason I bought a Garmin Montana in the first place.
Massive screen, and I can see it.

If your device is too small to see it properly, buy a bigger one.

It’s difficult fitting a 55 inch tv screen on my handlebars.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 30 Jun 2020, 8:42am

:lol: :lol:
Go on, try it and post photos!
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 30 Jun 2020, 1:56pm

You're on your fourth one though Mick F, in as many years?
No bluetooth so you have to faff about with leads and a laptop! :|

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 30 Jun 2020, 3:34pm

Nope.
On my third.
Get your facts straight! :D

There was nothing wrong with the first Montana 600, except the plastic round the power button cracked. Had the unit for years.
I asked Garmin for a repair, but it could have been jobbed, or I could have bought a new bottom case. Instead, they offered me an excellent deal on a refurbed one so long as I sent the original one back first. My original one was a refurb anyway.

The refurb replacement was defective, so I sent it back and they sent me another which is perfect.

Each time you buy a Montana, it comes with a new lithium battery pack, but when you send one back, they don't want you to send the battery back with it. Consequently I have three perfectly good lithium batteries. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 30 Jun 2020, 4:56pm

Thought about another, higher mount but I am not buying 8 of the things (minimum, one for each bike I ride regularly and then there are the "others")and my experience is that they only stay put if they are bolted on. Too much faff for what is only just becoming an minor irritation.
Not worried about the blue tooth and even sure what it offers. In due course I will buy a bigger screen .
Where are the Montanas coming from Mick?

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 30 Jun 2020, 5:22pm

mattsccm wrote:Any one come across a device/ bit of plastic that will magnify the screen of a GPS? The maps are just a touch too small to read if zoomed out to see a couple of miles of road. I have come across Fresnel sheets but they need to be held a few inches fton the object viewed.
The simple solution is get some appropriate eyewear.
Folks with the normal, healthy vision, unaffected by age, should be able to read a modestly sized gps device when mounted on a handlebar. I can't, 'cos my eyes are too old and stiff and won't resolve the sort of detail the OP refers to. So I have prescription varifocals, mounted behind sports eyeshades in my favourite yellow tint. These give me distance, mid and reading vision like wot I had when i was young. Job done. OK they were dear, but I saved up for them and now enjoy 20/20 vision when I'm out for a ride - wot's not to like??
However, if you like the sound of this idea but do not wish to take the plunge, for wot ever reason, then you might like to try the modestly-priced VoltX eyewear found for example on Amazon... at around a tenner, these are big bang for buck!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)