BST ends Sunday-safety factors

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AndyK

Re: BST ends Sunday-safety factors

Post by AndyK »

Mike_Ayling wrote:A former Premier of Queensland was of the opinion that "the extra sunlight" would fade peoples curtains and Queensland has never adopted daylight saving which means that in Summer they are an hour different to their neighbouring states, New South Wales and Victoria.
Western Australia also never adopted it so in Summer instead of there being a two hour difference from the Eastern States there are three which reduces the time window for business phone call.

Don't forget South Australia, which insists on being a half hour different from the neighbouring timezones!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

reohn2 wrote:It's just number changing innit?
Paulatic's got it right.

Artificial light is a lot better than it was when some bright spark thought up daylight saving. One way or another, our days are shorter in the Winter. The pita is still adjusting the clocks for no good reason and turning back an hour can be more of a faff than moving them forward.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:
Paulatic's got it right.

Artificial light is a lot better than it was when some bright spark thought up daylight saving. One way or another, our days are shorter in the Winter. The pita is still adjusting the clocks for no good reason and turning back an hour can be more of a faff than moving them forward.

Yer not wrong :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think the bottom line is between early birds and late ones. As a late one, I like light evenings and have always hated the October clock change as its like the final nail in the coffin for summer. I can argue lots of things against it - likewise the early ones can argue their points. I suspect that never the twain shall meet.

Re Queensland, I have spent some time there including up north in their summer. To me it got dark ridiculously early for a state with so much tourism. The locals all started their days early and this resulted in things closing very early. It wasn't unusual to find tourist facilities (museums, info offices) which were manned by volunteers to be closed at 3 pm. Many a time I turned up only to find a place closed.

Long evenings, sitting outside a pub - what's not to like.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mike_Ayling wrote:A former Premier of Queensland was of the opinion that "the extra sunlight" would fade peoples curtains and Queensland has never adopted daylight saving which means that in Summer they are an hour different to their neighbouring states, New South Wales and Victoria.

Joh Bjelke-Petersen?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:

Joh Bjelke-Petersen?

Ostralia seems a bit like Germany, lots of local head honchos (honchii?) trying to be different :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I think that an October clock change is a good idea. Problem is that our is the wrong way.
Si

Post by Si »

The change benefits the construction industry which tends to work 8am-4pm. They could work 9-5 but that'd have the side effect of putting more traffic on the roads at peak time. I certainly prefer 8-4 and artificial light would make my job a PITA.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Surely they would start later easing the morning rush-hour.This eases cogestion and reduces lateness.If delayed at night simply ring old lass and tell er not to burn food.Mind you some are stricter than a clock-watching gaffer.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Joh Bjelke-Petersen?

Ostralia seems a bit like Germany, lots of local head honchos (honchii?) trying to be different :?

Got that in one!
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Mike Sales wrote:

Joh Bjelke-Petersen?

Yes.
BTW he was an import from Inzid.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

thirdcrank wrote:
Paulatic's got it right.

Have a look at the Any Good Jokes on that other site!
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Queensland again - due to its latitude the daylight hours differential between Summer and Winter is not nearly wide as the more southern states like Victoria and Tasmania. Melbourne is 38 degrees south and Tasmania is well into the roaring forties.
Joh was probably right, you don't really need to bother with daylight saving in Queensland.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote:I think the bottom line is between early birds and late ones. As a late one, I like light evenings and have always hated the October clock change as its like the final nail in the coffin for summer.

I'm the other way -- also a late bird but for that reason I prefer lighter mornings. I find it difficult to wake up till the sun is up, so once the clocks go back, I'll sleep till 10 rather than "just" 9.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I personally have no time for the construction industry, or any other industry, if they cannot deal with a change in numbers. Surely it can't be hard to be told to come to work at a different time?