Have I chosen wisely?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ricam

Have I chosen wisely?

Postby ricam » 22 Feb 2021, 8:36pm

Hi there.

I'm just getting back into biking and stumbled across this forum on the weekend.
There's some great advice from the seasoned cyclists which I have taken on board.
In a nut shell I've got a budget of £350ish and don't want to go down the second hand route. This is simply because I don't have the experience to guarantee a good buy.
After looking through this forum (loads of other people in my position) I have changed my first choice from a carrera vengeance to a carrera subway 2.
The main reason is the multiple posts warning against cheap suspension and the inability to lock it off.
I will be cycling on road, dirt paths and grass.
Can I confirm I have made the right choice with the rigid forked hybrid subway 2 and can I ask if this bike will still take a little bit of abuse on stoney dirt paths?
Thanks to everyone who has patiently answered these questions previously which I have found invaluable.
I guess I just want some reassurance I have made the right choice out of these two bikes?
My other reasons for choosing the subway 2 is a discount voucher of 8% and what I think is a decent resale market for carrera bikes should I want to upgrade in a year or two.
This and the fact that the stock was running low so decided to buy asap.
Hopefully I have made a decent choice?

Thanks

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Moto G (5) using hovercraft full of eels.
Last edited by ricam on 22 Feb 2021, 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brucey

Re: Have I chosen wisely?

Postby Brucey » 22 Feb 2021, 9:07pm

subway 2 is a good choice IMHO.

{BTW I have owned several different models, ranging from Subway 1 (with 26" wheels, rim brakes and 2x7 gearing) through Nexus 8 geared versions, and disc braked versions too. The last of them was a more recent Subway 2 model with 650B (27.5") wheels and hydro discs, probably not dissimilar to the current offering. All were capable machines which were not too heavy, not bad to ride, and strong enough to take a load and/or a some offroading too. They are (at heart) a lot like how MTBs used to be before suspension, but with more road-oriented tyres. Very versatile machines.]

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 23 Feb 2021, 10:07am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ricam

Postby ricam » 22 Feb 2021, 9:26pm

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your swift reply. Phew! Looking forward to trying the Subway 2 out.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Moto G (5) using hovercraft full of eels.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 22 Feb 2021, 9:52pm

Subways have always been good bikes. I have used one as a tourer, very tough and well specced.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36102&hilit=For+a+song

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Chris56

Postby Chris56 » 22 Feb 2021, 9:56pm

Good choice IMO. I bought a Subway 2 back in 2006 and its still going strong - used on all types of terrain and its been fine. Last year I converted it to drop bars and single speed and l love it even more:

viewtopic.php?t=138096&start=30

Sadly the v-brake chain tensioner didn't last so have paid £15 for a proper tensioner!. Its also had wider (1.75") tyres fitted as the 1.25 x 26 Marathons were a bit harsh off road
Last edited by Chris56 on 22 Feb 2021, 10:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricam

Postby ricam » 22 Feb 2021, 9:59pm

Brilliant! Thanks for the replies. You both seem to have enjoyed the bike. I'm definitely glad I made the choice I did.

Jupestar

Postby Jupestar » 23 Feb 2021, 8:45am

Heard good things about the subway 2. I’ve mentioned it to a friend in the office, who is also interested. Rigid over FS makes a lot of sense and is a good choice.

Halfords seem to have some good options. The boardmans seem very popular with those who commute in by road bike.

hamster

Postby hamster » 23 Feb 2021, 9:17am

Good choice. People rode rigid MTBs for many years, thoroughly enjoyed it (and still do). Nowadays the MTB magazines seem to push the view that you can't even ride round to Tescos without 150mm of suspension front and back.

mcshroom

Postby mcshroom » 23 Feb 2021, 9:23am

It looks like a wise choice to me :)

The tyres are wider than many of the new drop bar gravel bikes, and it's more solidly built than a lot of them, so I'm sure it will handle more "abuse" than you describe. It's a good bike at that price.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 23 Feb 2021, 9:26am

Subway is a great choice. I bought my daughter one on a about 9 years ago. it still going strong 9 years on with very little maintenance apart from occasionally oiling the chain and Pumping the tyres up.
NUKe

ricam

Postby ricam » 23 Feb 2021, 11:43am

Thanks for all the replies. I would not have considered the Subway 2 without the posts from many on here. Good to know I have picked a decent bike for the money based on all this great advice.