Bar End Mirrors on Drops

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Debs

Re: Bar-end rear view mirror

Post by Debs »

Which is the better B&M option for drop bar end?

or

iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I use the second of the two and think it's great.
Debs

Post by Debs »

iandusud wrote: 15 May 2021, 2:50pm I use the second of the two and think it's great.
Yes i think you're right, the other looks neat but probably more suited to flat bars [and maybe left hand side]
slowster

Post by slowster »

Get the second one. The 60mm diameter mirror version is better than the 80mm in my opinion.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... drop-bars/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... r-end-fit/

The other mirror is much more likely to become loose over time and fail to keep its position/angle.
Debs

Post by Debs »

slowster wrote: 15 May 2021, 3:27pm Get the second one.
Thanks for that, just ordered two from this place:

https://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m60b0s238p ... -End-901-2

£12 each from Cycle Sense, they be 20 each from SJS :shock:
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

iandusud wrote: 15 May 2021, 2:50pm I use the second of the two and think it's great.
Ditto.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ditto too. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Debs

Post by Debs »

Yesterday while on a ride i managed to catch my Zefal mirror as it came away from the bar-end.

One of the thin plastic expandable grippers has broken off, and it is no longer able to grip hard enough any more.

I have ordered the B&M star mirror to replace it, the expander grip engineering looks far superior to the Zefal :D

<>

It's funny how one gets so used to having a mirror to look at, after my Zefal mirror came away, i put it in my pocket, and during the rest of my ride, out of habit i constantly looked at where the mirror had been for past 3 years.... but it was not there anymore, could only see the ground beneath rushing by as i sped along.

I really hate riding a bike with no mirror these days, don't feel anywhere near as safe :|

<>

Thank you all to confirm which mirror, and thanks to Brucey for the Cyclesense shop heads up earlier in this thread!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Debs wrote: 15 May 2021, 3:54pm
slowster wrote: 15 May 2021, 3:27pm Get the second one.
Thanks for that, just ordered two from this place:

https://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m60b0s238p ... -End-901-2

£12 each from Cycle Sense, they be 20 each from SJS :shock:
Thanks for the link. I've been thinking about getting a mirror for ages so just ordered one. Of course if I like it I will have to order another 2 as I have 3 bikes in regular use :roll:
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Debs wrote: 15 May 2021, 6:31pm It's funny how one gets so used to having a mirror to look at, after my Zefal mirror came away, i put it in my pocket, and during the rest of my ride, out of habit i constantly looked at where the mirror had been for past 3 years.... but it was not there anymore, could only see the ground beneath rushing by as i sped along.
I even look down to the non-existant mirror when I'm walking! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
slowster

Post by slowster »

Debs wrote: 15 May 2021, 6:31pm I have ordered the B&M star mirror to replace it, the expander grip engineering looks far superior to the Zefal :D
There are no instructions with the mirror, so I would point out that the socket (for the mirror's ball joint) is on a bevel. If you want to have the mirror to the right of the handlebar (9 o'clock position), slide the expander into the handlebar with the bevel facing upwards, because that gives the best range of angles for the mirror in the 9 o'clock position.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bevel upright at the 12 o'clock, so the mirror works well at the 3 o'clock position on the right, or 9 o'clock if on the left.

Mine are on the right on both bikes, and I've experimented with the bevel at 3 o'clock so the mirror would be further out, but like that the mirror wouldn't tip low enough and when forced, it comes off the ball and socket.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I have two bikes fitted with the B&M. Just took a look and both are at the 12 o Clock. Must be where I thought best for my needs.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I also use the 2nd format (without the stalk) B&M mirror.

On my drop bars I have a single smaller sized one which is excellent. On recumbent I'm part way through switching to the 80 cm ones (from Miracle ones), Amazon delivering the 2nd one today (purchased one last week to check the fitting and view, worked well so 2nd for other side arriving today).

Ian
Debs

Post by Debs »

Arrived today and fitted 5 minutes later. Will try it out later :D