Is the number plate visible or legal ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Re: Is the number plate visible or legal ?

Post by fastpedaller »

Percy wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:25pm I know this doesn't answer your question. I'm just thinking that if a cop stopped you for the number plate issue, he'd have to be a pretty rotten cop, looking for a victim. The lights at night, that's another matter but during daylight hours it ought to not matter except for a rotten cop out to get you "because the brake lights are being obscured."

Being that you have front number plates, too, a front carrier (if such a thing exists) still wouldn't help. A trailer behind the car, with a bike loaded on it, will still partly hide the number plate, even if the trailer doesn't.

About the only sure answer might be to get a van big enough to put a bike or two inside.

Here in the USA, we don't have front number plates, and I never heard of a cop stopping someone for a partly hidden plate. I see a lot of plates that are badly damaged or altered, with some even having a plastic cover that prevents traffic cameras from recording the number. But this all depends on the part of the country. I'm near Tampa where cops have a lot more to do than harass drivers carrying a bike on the rear of their car.
Things may be different in USA. I only have a UK perspective on this...... During daytime, as well as brake lights there are the direction indicators to be considered, and maybe a car driver car see the lights, but could a truck driver from higher up vantage? Trailers in UK have to include lighting, and it's ok for the trailer to obscure the vehicle light (only if the trailer light work of course). Wiring of trailer or lighting board - fairly straightforward if an older vehicle, but a modern one with LED lighting will have CANBUS (my understanding) so very difficult unless you understand electronics. Whatever you have, it also needs to have a visual or audible indication that the lighting board or trailer lights are working.
sneggysteve

Post by sneggysteve »

I got done a couple of years ago on the M4
millimole

Post by millimole »

I think this is where i get on my hobby horse about the lack of cycle carrying availability on electric cars.
When I last looked there were none (apart from a Jag and a Tesla) that can have a towbar type mount, and I'm told that lightweight body panels preclude rear mounted and roof carriers.
The only manufacturer who seems to be taking an interest (again when I last heard) was MG but there wasn't an available solution.
So for electric cars, it's inside or nothing. And that's how I ended up with a Toyota CHR hybrid (with which I'm very happy, and it's got a towbar)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have a Yaris Hybrid and it's not homologated to tow.
However, it's possible to buy a towbar.
Therefore you can (legally) fit a towbar mounted rack.

Main issue though, is down the line when the car is dozens of years old, that some unsuspecting future owner could tow a trailer.
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Mick F wrote: 17 May 2021, 3:20pm We have a Yaris Hybrid and it's not homologated to tow.
However, it's possible to buy a towbar.
Therefore you can (legally) fit a towbar mounted rack.

Main issue though, is down the line when the car is dozens of years old, that some unsuspecting future owner could tow a trailer.
Bit of a grey area though? It just means it's not passed a test for towing, which doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe. How it would be if stopped by police, I have no idea. :roll:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I agree entirely.
Try claiming on insurance though.
I'm willing to bet that all hybrids and EVs aren't homologated to tow.

Here's our VIN plate. Toyota Yaris Hybrid.
Notice that the gross vehicle weight is the same as the vehicle weight.
VIN Plate.jpeg
When we bought this car, we had to sell our trailer that we'd used for other cars over the years.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

It's not legal however...
If you get pulled for it depends on the officer really.
I rarely travel with bike on the tailgate rack now, but I was stopped for speeding through motorways roadworks (not a lot over the limit) on a Sunday morning.
Whilst I picked up an FPN for that, I didn't for reg or lights. Car was a nissan note. To be honest officer was more interested in asking about the Moulton.
IMO lights aren't a massive problem unless completely obscured by luggage etc. And plate isn't if it's reasonably legible. There lots out there with far worse. Like the Amazon van yesterday with front plate wedged in windscreen.

I think you would be unlucky to be stopped for that alone but you take your chance.
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

mjr wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:11amThat is part of why I paid £70 extra for a high level rear rack, putting the bikes piggy-back above lights and plate, so no lighting board needed. That sounds expensive, but as well as being a far steadier fixing (bikes fixed at three or four points instead of two), wiring in a lighting socket to our car that has no towbar was £100 (and another 20 vat IIRC) and the lighting board and plate another £25!
Which rack did you get? I'm struggling to find anything that doesn't obscure the rear lights.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gcogger wrote: 17 May 2021, 5:35pm
mjr wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:11amThat is part of why I paid £70 extra for a high level rear rack, putting the bikes piggy-back above lights and plate, so no lighting board needed. That sounds expensive, but as well as being a far steadier fixing (bikes fixed at three or four points instead of two), wiring in a lighting socket to our car that has no towbar was £100 (and another 20 vat IIRC) and the lighting board and plate another £25!
Which rack did you get? I'm struggling to find anything that doesn't obscure the rear lights.
The one my Italian car maker endorsed: Peruzzo IIRC.

Thule also make a high rack but it might not be high enough for your car.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

I have just got and used for the 1st time a Saris Solo rack for my hatchback
I ended up taking the wheels off my bike and putting them in the boot of the car
My reg plate wasnt covered by the bike but my lights were until i took the wheels off
Even with taking the wheels off the transporting of the bike was so much easier than getting the whole bike in the car
I only transport 1 bike though but it may be a solution
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

I’ve just made a fork mount to transport my bike upright in the car.Cost me £20 for the mounting bracket.I don’t trust rear strap on carriers and found roof carriers noisy and costly fuel-wise.
Much safer in the car.
smcknighty

Post by smcknighty »

The outlander will take a towbar and it’s a phev. I had one fitted when I had mine. Dealer did it, don’t remember it being cheap. Roof mounted rack is another option, I have a roof rack for one of these for sale funnily enough.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

smcknighty wrote: 17 May 2021, 7:36pm The outlander will take a towbar and it’s a phev.
I wonder if it's because it's a plug-in hybrid?
Maybe the Yaris plug-in version can take a tow-hitch?

The way I understand it, is that a "normal" hybrid could be overloaded by towing and spoil the characteristics of the hybrid system. Willing to bet that a full EV wouldn't be able to tow either. Could be proved wrong though!

I maintain that driving with four big heavy rugby players as passengers, though legally of course, is much heavier and more incongruous than towing a light camping trailer.

Still not allowed with our Yaris Hybrid though.
Mick F. Cornwall
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

mjr wrote: 17 May 2021, 5:52pm
gcogger wrote: 17 May 2021, 5:35pm
The one my Italian car maker endorsed: Peruzzo IIRC.

Thule also make a high rack but it might not be high enough for your car.
Thanks
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re partially covered plates, I don't agree with the "Have you nothing better to do with your time?" jibe. Reg plates are often the only link to a vehicle used in crime and with ANPR it's even more important that they should be fully visible and legible. An increasing number of offences are subject to camera enforcement which again relies on visible and legible plates. The regs are there and offenders should not be able to hide behind slack enforcement; if this was known to attract an automatic penalty, a lot fewer offenders would take the "they can't touch you for it" approach.

Only hearsay but on Honest John etc it's been said that the French police lurk at the Channel ports for the easy prey of British drivers who don't bother with these regs.