Help me ID my bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldsmobile

Help me ID my bike?

Post by Oldsmobile »

I know this sounds a bit strange but I need help identifying my bike. The bike in question has been sat in my shed for some years as a knee injury stopped me from riding it after a short while, but now I need to sell it on.

I *think* from memory it's a 2005 model Trek 1500, although the paint scheme and spec don't match Trek's bike archives. Here is what I think are the pertinent points:

No model number on the frame
Made in Taiwan
Serial no starts with "TB5-" (2005?)
Trek archive shows Blue/White mine is Grey/White
Trek spec says 9-speed cassette, mine is 10-speed

I've included a photo. Can anybody help?
Thanks
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-13 at 16.56.42.jpeg
Debs

Re: Help me ID my bike?

Post by Debs »

Nice bike!

Looks like the Discovery TdF team colours

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2052640/

Welcome to the forum :D
willcee

Post by willcee »

hi welcome.. don't get all bothered about the age, more important is what condition its presented in good tyres, brakes, all cables oiled and cleaned,generally clean chain, oil hubs and spokes ,clean tape if decent, replace if poor, saddle cleaned and seatpost greased not stuck we hope and headset checked for sweetness and tightness, that accomplished what u should be aware of is that your machine even though its 15 years old will usually ride way better than the current 7/8/9 sp bargain starter offerings in any big cycle store.. they sell for 4/600 quid so pitch it around 375 and look to walk away with 325/300.. there are many around that price but many of them need 2/300 quid to bring them back to where they would need to be safety and performance wise..lets hope yours doesn't.. will
Oldsmobile

Post by Oldsmobile »

OK thanks for the replies...

@willcee I'm not too bothered about the age & condition, it's just I didn't want to advertise it incorrectly with the wrong model number or year. For some reason I've got a complete mental block about when I bought & rode it and of course I threw out the paperwork in a previous clearout :? Anyways, you've confirmed my thoughts as I had a figure of £300-400 in my head (was £1300 new)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Trek have bought out numerous firms eg KHS,Klein and others.You may have one of these subsidiary brands.I do not know why you need to identify the model as most bikes are now generic with Taiwanese frames and SRAM/Shimano bits-unlike time when 531 frames were adorned with an array of interesting parts, each bike being individualised.Mind you many riders then had a bit more personality.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If you Google Shimano date codes, you can generally find a year of component manufacture. Cranks and rear derailleur are good places to start. It should give you a starting point, if not 100% definitive.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....