drop bars - cable channels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

drop bars - cable channels

Post by simonineaston »

Anyone any experience of the more expensive drop-bars that have channels for brake & shifter cables? Pros & cons? Worth paying the extra for?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
peetee

Re: drop bars - cable channels

Post by peetee »

Not always worth paying for insomuch as the channels only extend as far as they estimate they are needed to reach the shifters. Depending on where you like your shifters that may not be far enough meaning the cables have to bulge out which does nothing for comfort or light cable action.
For what it’s worth, I have never had trouble firmly locating cables on round bars. I hold them in place with 6 inch long insulation tape wraps. Starting where the cable exits the shifter stick the tape 1inch from its end to the front edge of the cable. Take that short end round the cable alone and stick it to the back of the long end then wrap that piece around the bar. The next loop wraps the other way round the bar etc etc. That way hand grip cannot pull the cable one way or the other.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've used both. I'm pretty sure that, when aero levers first appeared, all the leading bar manufacturers started putting channels in. But as peetee says, a bit of insulating tape (and sensible placement of the cables) and it's usually fine without.
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 8:51pm Worth paying the extra for?
Is that an option? Do you get the same bars with or without?
I have a slight preference for bars with, I'm not sure they have any practical benefit other than a neater looking bar. But it's so far down the list that the decision is made before it's considered.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Is that an option? Do you get the same bars with or without?
Not an option, rather that 'bars with cable channels tend to cost more than their plain-vanilla cousins. Personally I rather like the feel of the ridge that results from the wrapped cable.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Does anyone use that flexible plastic sheathing?

Thanks

Jonathan
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Pro for the grooves: They may make the bar slightly stronger/stiffer.
Con of the grooves: There is sometimes a "sharp" ridge at the outer 'corner' of the top that some may find uncomfortable. I do.

Pro for no grooves: the bar may be more comfortable. ie. a bit more support for the palm.
Another pro for no grooves: The shape/style of the bar is usually more "classic" or, if you like, old fashioned.
Can't beat the comfort of the old MAES pattern IMHO.

In the end, it's a matter of personal preference.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 10:33am Does anyone use that flexible plastic sheathing?
I take it you mean the outer cable guide Shimano supply with bar end shifters. I've not tried it, but I have some bars without grooves for which I have been considering it. Positive reviews on SJS's website.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... 86b-22000/

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, that.

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Postscript: Planet X have those Shimano cable doo-dads on clearance offer at the mo'... see here - a situtation I noticed shortly after ordering a pair off of fleabay at the non-discounted price... :roll:
S
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

My Genesis Equilibrium came with those Shimano plastic "caterpillar" covers fitted over the cables and under the bartape. When I replaced the cables, I put them aside as I thought they were superfluous.

The next time I replaced all the cables, I put the covers back on again.

This is, of course, very subjective, but it feels as if they do make a small difference to how smoothly the gear cables work.

Think about it. With a (grooveless) handlebar, you're squashing the cable outer between two almost-flat surfaces: the stretched bartape (and retaining tape underneath that) and the bar. So it's not inconceivable that the gear outer will deform slightly to an oval shape, increasing friction for the cable.

If you put Shimano's sheath over the cable first, the pressure is still being applied but in three planes rather than two, so any deformation should be minimal.

The same goes for grooved handlebars: if the cable is in the groove, when you wrap the bartape round you are applying pressure in three planes, not two.

This applies less to brake cable outers, of course (for those of us still running cable brakes!) as the spiral-wound outer is less susceptible to squashing.

Grooves used to be quite common on modestly-priced handlebars but are now rare. I'd assumed the manufacturers had decided it affected the strength, stiffness and longevity of the bars.

PS Thanks for the PlanetX tip, Simon - I can stock up for my other bikes now. :-)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

"caterpillar" covers
:lol:
S
freiston

Post by freiston »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 12:29pm Postscript: Planet X have those Shimano cable doo-dads on clearance offer at the mo'... see here - a situtation I noticed shortly after ordering a pair off of fleabay at the non-discounted price... :roll:
The SJS link in slowster's post gives the price at 0.99 - half that of the Planet X clearance offer
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
slowster

Post by slowster »

freiston wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 2:34pm
simonineaston wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 12:29pm Postscript: Planet X have those Shimano cable doo-dads on clearance offer at the mo'... see here - a situtation I noticed shortly after ordering a pair off of fleabay at the non-discounted price... :roll:
The SJS link in slowster's post gives the price at 0.99 - half that of the Planet X clearance offer
Furthermore SJS's price is for a pair. Planet X's product description states it is for 'Shimano Dura-Ace SL-BS79 Outer Cable Guide Single'

As for using bars without grooves, I think the thickness/cushioning of the bar tape will potentially make quite a difference: with thicker tape the absence of a groove will be less noticeable. Also I would be more concerned about using a bar without rear grooves with levers like Ergo levers which route one cable at the front of the bar and the other at the rear.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 2:23pm
"caterpillar" covers
:lol:
I cannot lie - I nicked that term from somewhere else. Good description though.