Second hand advice, what's "too old"?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
stampz

Second hand advice, what's "too old"?

Post by stampz »

Potentially stupid question, which I think I already know the answer too.

I am looking at picking up a new winter trainer/"second" bike. My heart wants to go shiny and spend at least £1k on something...if I can even find anything in the current bike drought.

However, a friend of mine who is getting out of cycling has offered to sell me his Cannondale CAAD 8 2014 for £300.

It's in great condition, 105 groupset, 8.6kg...he hasn't ridden it for at least 2 years, with some new cables and a new chain it would look good as new...but it's bugging me that it's 7 years old and I don't know if it should be.

So how old is too old? Should I steer clear and go with something new but less specced, or am i being stupid?

Its this version https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannon ... -2014/2PHC

Thanks!
mattsccm

Re: Second hand advice, what's "too old"?

Post by mattsccm »

First, condition is everything so what are things like the chain and cassette like? It is old enough to have lost most of its value (any Covid surcharge excluded).
You may or may not care that in its day it was a mid level fairly sporty bike. Chances are that it will have limited tyre clearance compared with modern bikes. May not be an issue, I'd be happy if I could get 25mm tyres in. Of course in those days most people didn't think that sub 25mm was narrow as that was what sporty bikes came with.
As a winter bike can it take mudgaurds as well?
It would have to be damn tidy with straight wheels, near new condition and transmission etc .
Nothing wrong with the age, just the condition and how much it would cost to get it good.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sounds like it hasn't been ridden much.

A new chain and you will be fine.

I have a 2010 Cannondale six which I purchased approx 5 years ago and it's been great.

If it's 105 the it's probably bb30 which is Marmite round here. Check it's creaking / rough? Its only £20 to sort, ditto headset.

Bar tape is often a good indicator of abuse.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Aluminium frame! Bit of gamble really but offer him £250!
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Old? It’s newer than anything I have. Take it!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 10:04pm Old? It’s newer than anything I have. Take it!
Mercian steel 1978,Specialized Stumpjumper aluminium 1995,Marin Rift Zone aluminium 2007,Giant TCR 1 aluminium-carbon 2007,Scott CR1 carbon 2011,all still in full use with a few original components,most having been replaced.7 years ? Could have 50000mls on it...or 5000mls.Frame should be good for many years unless your seller is a gorilla.Expect to replace some transmission components,examine wheels carefully,particularly bearings and rims...half decent wheels will set you back £150+
Saying that,I picked up my brilliant ,9yr old Scott,hardly used for £650-00 ....Examine carefully,estimate cost of new parts if any,haggle.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

As mattsccm said, condition is everything. Also check the rims for wear. Are they still nice & flat or are they becoming concave? If the latter then you could soon be looking at significant spending on either fitting new rims or new wheels.
geomannie
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

There's a thread in here about the bead separating from a flat rim. Wear doesn't always show. The only way to know is to deflate the tyre and measure wall thickness. And do it on both wheels - most of the braking load is on the front.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Seems a pretty good price for a bike of that spec in good condition, even if it needs a replacement part or two.
Only a good deal if it is right size and is exactly what you want!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Audax67 wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 9:06am There's a thread in here about the bead separating from a flat rim. Wear doesn't always show. The only way to know is to deflate the tyre and measure wall thickness. And do it on both wheels - most of the braking load is on the front.
Best way is to put a credit card across the rim surface and if concave then worn.

Cheers James
drossall

Post by drossall »

There's a lot of personal taste in this. I'm currently riding club races on a bike that's 15 years old, and that's my new one; I built up my other racing bike over 40 years ago, and I've ridden that in one or two of the events as well.

So it rather depends on how similar you want your winter and summer bikes to be. Personally I wouldn't ride anything that new in winter :D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Jamesh wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 12:33pm
Audax67 wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 9:06am There's a thread in here about the bead separating from a flat rim. Wear doesn't always show. The only way to know is to deflate the tyre and measure wall thickness. And do it on both wheels - most of the braking load is on the front.
Best way is to put a credit card across the rim surface and if concave then worn.

Cheers James
It's certainly a way, but I prefer direct measurement with an Iwanson gauge. Telltales in the rims are the best way of all.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
drossall

Post by drossall »

Happened to me the other week.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

No, it's not too old all my bikes are older than that and still going strong.
As stated above it's all about condition and how well it has been treated.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I would want to check the wear on the drivetrain, in addition to other basic mechanical checks. Most easily accomplished by either trying with a new chain and watching for slip under load, or by measuring the elongation of the old chain.