Speaking Cycle Computer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Grubbie Fred

Speaking Cycle Computer

Post by Grubbie Fred »

Greetings All. I have friend, a lifelong cyclist, who at the age of 85 has had to give up road cycling due to visual impairment. He does however, still enjoy exercising on his cycle trainer and rollers. To add a sense of 'measurement' to these sessions he asked me to research any available cycle computers that have an audio output (that could be connected to a speaker). If any do exist, I have been unable to find them. We realize that this type of product will have an (extremely) limited market but I thought it might be worth posting a question just in case the combined knowledge of the forum can come up with something ? Best Wishes.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Speaking Cycle Computer

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That sounds really interesting - what kind of data is he after? I know that iSmoothrun can talk to me throughout a ride.. but I haven't really explored those options.

My guess is that a bluetooth cadence/speed sensor and a smartphone is the way to go (or getting access to a tandem)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The Wahoo fitness app can be customised to give audio announcements. I use the app to track walks but turned voice announcements off. I imagine if it’s connected by Bluetooth to something measuring distance then it could announce every mile and time taken for last mile.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You need a garmin speed sensor and the wahoo app on your phone, never tried it with the announcements on though.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

With a Garmin edge unit and a mobile phone it is possible to have announcements made via a setting in the Garmin Connect mobile app.
Grubbie Fred

Post by Grubbie Fred »

Many thanks for the responses, they have given us leads to follow up. Much appreciated.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Grubbie Fred wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 12:18pm Greetings All. I have friend, a lifelong cyclist, who at the age of 85 has had to give up road cycling due to visual impairment. He does however, still enjoy exercising on his cycle trainer and rollers. To add a sense of 'measurement' to these sessions he asked me to research any available cycle computers that have an audio output (that could be connected to a speaker). If any do exist, I have been unable to find them. We realize that this type of product will have an (extremely) limited market but I thought it might be worth posting a question just in case the combined knowledge of the forum can come up with something ? Best Wishes.
(My bold)
Does that mean "blind" or rather "eyesight no longer good enough for road safety?"

I ask because we've recently had a thread about competitive linked exercise bike riding for older people, which sounds as though it might be good for anybody who could still see but not very well.

viewtopic.php?p=1654732#p1654732

(This is an attempt to contribute, not to provoke a discussion about terminology.)