Brooks Cambium

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
honesty

Brooks Cambium

Post by honesty »

So, they've been out for a while now. How do they hold up? Does the cotton top wear out quickly?
Psamathe

Re: Brooks Cambium

Post by Psamathe »

I only got mine (C15) at Christmas and I've done just 2500 miles on it and no signs of wear (neither on the saddle nor on my lycra shorts - so they don't seem to wear those either).

Ian
darkvalley

Post by darkvalley »

I have the C17. I have ridden almost 1400km (according to strava) on it. It is now showing signs of scuffing on the top and at the edges, but this would appear to be merely cosmetic. Going on how it is now I doubt the cotton part of it is going to last long term. I did also lose one of the rivets from it and when checked all the others were loose and working their way out. Replacement rivet bought from brooks. Still looks well but unsure how it will hold up in the long run. Saddle itself is still perfectly in shape.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I got one off of a fellow CTC'er (Cheers, Fossala!) and both he and I have cleaned the top cotton surface - I don't know exactly what Foss. did - he may care to comment if he reads this - but I can tell you that I used household detergent & scrubbed it gently with a nylon washing up brush. It came up lovely - almost as new. There is no sign of the cotton fabric top coming away from the rubber and so although I'm not exactly sure how old mine is, it is looking like it will last a fair while yet! :-) I've read about the new frame system squeaking so I did pop mine apart and dab a little grease in place, & it remains totally silent... mind you, I am only nine and half stone so don't present too much of a load!
As a general comment, it is much more nicely made than the old steel frame jobbies and although it doesn't have that all-important quality that leather tops do, i.e. assuming the shape of the rider's derrière, it is comfy to ride and doesn't mind getting wet - I'm glad I bought it - it has now slid gently to the top of My Favourite Saddle list, the recently-aquired Gilles Berthoud Menthe having dropped off the bottom and onto the floor... clunk :-(
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bumper

Post by bumper »

These are my favourite saddles. I loved the b17s but these are fantastic off road and will take a soaking. They also don't hold water that soaks up into your shorts.

Mine have held up perfectly, lots of miles and lots of abuse. The worst marks are from turning the bike upside down fixing punctures, the cloth does scuff a little when rubbing on tarmac :oops: . Mine are cleaned, no scrubbed mercilessly. I've used nail brushes and the little rubber and wire brushes for suede shoes, they just keep coming up like new.

My first slate colour was dyed black with dylon ( so was my second slate one) and it's not affected it at all.

The only thing I've noticed, the black saddles have black rubber and they feel softer than the slate versions with natural coloured rubber. The rivets were coming loose on the early models but Brooks have cured that. I threadlocked mine but Brooks appear to have superglued them now because I cant budge them at all.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Had mine about 6 months, don't know how many miles I've done as I have a few bikes and I don't count the mileage. I know that I've done a 500 and a 300 mile tour, and a few hundred mile days on it, and it seems fine. Very comfortable. Other people (racers) that hate the looks of the traditional leather Brooks saddles have commented that they like this one. I've had a few other leather Brooks saddles and a find this more comfortable. I'm off on a 2000 mile ride tomorrow and so that will be a good test. It's testament to the saddle that I have chosen to take this one over several other Brooks, and a few other cut outs that I have

Mine has a few scuffs on it, and needs a bit of clean - the chamois cream is 'staining' it, but I am sure this would wash off.

It has the advantage of being lighter than a leather brooks, has more give/bounce and it's ok if it gets wet.

I like it
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

bumper wrote:wire brushes for suede shoes, they just keep coming up like new...
Holy Phosphor Bronze, Batman, you're one tough-playing dude!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bumper

Post by bumper »

simonineaston wrote:
bumper wrote:wire brushes for suede shoes, they just keep coming up like new...
Holy Phosphor Bronze, Batman, you're one tough-playing dude!

its not as rough as my ass rubbing grit into it for hours on end :D
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm very pro these C17 saddles too. I've got one on each bike. No wear on my clothing or saddle. One has over 1k and the other 500 miles. I had a problem with the rivets but Brooks sent a fistful to me and advised to put locktite on the rest. I had a wet tour in the NL and it really came into its own while ridden and at rest. Best saddle I've had.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Now there's a carbon railed version, looks like their Italian masters want Brooks to abandon leather.
honesty

Post by honesty »

They'll never abandon leather,the can milk too much money our of hipsters selling them something that cost a quarter of its current rrp just a few years ago ;)

Seriously though. I see the new c13 as a way to sell the rubber cambium tech to another area of cyclists that they currently can't sell to.
georgew

Post by georgew »

simonineaston wrote: - it has now slid gently to the top of My Favourite Saddle list, the recently-aquired Gilles Berthoud Menthe having dropped off the bottom and onto the floor... clunk :-(

That's interesting Simon....can I ask the reasons for this?
I've a couple of Aspin's and can't praise them enough so I'm curious as to your thinking.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

georgew wrote:
simonineaston wrote: - it has now slid gently to the top of My Favourite Saddle list, the recently-aquired Gilles Berthoud Menthe having dropped off the bottom and onto the floor... clunk :-(

I've a couple of Aspin's and can't praise them enough so I'm curious as to your thinking.

The Menthe started off OK, I guess, but it got a soaking one night in Brittany, while I was asleep. The top was soft enough in the morning to have sagged quite badly after I got off it the next day in spite of being quoted as waterproof (from the GB website, "...saddle top is made of thick, natural vegetable tanned leather that has been pre-softened and waterproofed." The top is a curious combination of thick and pliable and seems to feel like it has neither the flexability of say a B17, nor the ability to resist sagging of say a Team Pro... I have rather lost confidence in the Menthe - a saddle that appears to have a bit of an identity crisis. I haven't altogether given up on it, though - it now resides on my Brompton.
Its profile is somewhat restored, having tightened the nose adjustment bolt, which was very loose after the first trip away - whether it was tight enough, when it arrived with me, I don't know - I didn't check it...
S
pwa

Post by pwa »

simonineaston wrote:
georgew wrote:

The Menthe started off OK, I guess, but it got a soaking one night in Brittany, while I was asleep. The top was soft enough in the morning to have sagged quite badly after I got off it the next day in spite of being quoted as waterproof (from the GB website, "...saddle top is made of thick, natural vegetable tanned leather that has been pre-softened and waterproofed." The top is a curious combination of thick and pliable and seems to feel like it has neither the flexability of say a B17, nor the ability to resist sagging of say a Team Pro... I have rather lost confidence in the Menthe - a saddle that appears to have a bit of an identity crisis. I haven't altogether given up on it, though - it now resides on my Brompton.
Its profile is somewhat restored, having tightened the nose adjustment bolt, which was very loose after the first trip away - whether it was tight enough, when it arrived with me, I don't know - I didn't check it...

The perils of leather, I suppose. I would never put a Brooks leather saddle or any similar saddle (GBerthoud, Spa, etc) on a commuter that I expected to leave out in the rain for long periods. For that, something like a Cambium might be a better bet. I have previously used a Rolls on my tourer / commuter, even though it is not as comfy as my GBerthoud Aravis. My GB has taken an age to get the dimples necessary for it to feel right, but it is now just about moulded to my rear. Sadly, a Cambium will never perform that trick. But I must try one.
georgew

Post by georgew »

simonineaston wrote: The top was soft enough in the morning to have sagged quite badly after I got off it the next day in spite of being quoted as waterproof (from the GB website, "...saddle top is made of thick, natural vegetable tanned leather that has been pre-softened and waterproofed." The top is a curious combination of thick and pliable and seems to feel like it has neither the flexability of say a B17, nor the ability to resist sagging of say a Team Pro... I have rather lost confidence in the Menthe - a saddle that appears to have a bit of an identity crisis. I haven't altogether given up on it, though - it now resides on my Brompton.

Well....yes...there's waterproofing and "waterproofing" I suppose.
I'm afraid any leather saddle or any leather is going to react in that way to being soaked as it is the nature of leather. I'm not sure that it's entirely fair to blame one particular make of saddle though. I hope it comes right for you as they are pricey objects. Given that the leather top can be removed, would it be worth enquiring whether it could be replaced?