Brooks Cambium

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mnichols

Re: Brooks Cambium

Post by mnichols »

Just finished a 26 day, 2300 mile tour on my Cadmium and it was comfortable from start to finish, although it is showing signs of wear
Young@Heart

Post by Young@Heart »

What are they like in wet and rain?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Young@Heart wrote:What are they like in wet and rain?

Fantastic! As the cotton soaks up some water which makes your bum wet when you first perch. Other than that there's no maintenance and it's pretty grippy when wet too...b
pwa

Post by pwa »

georgew wrote:
simonineaston wrote: The top was soft enough in the morning to have sagged quite badly after I got off it the next day in spite of being quoted as waterproof (from the GB website, "...saddle top is made of thick, natural vegetable tanned leather that has been pre-softened and waterproofed." The top is a curious combination of thick and pliable and seems to feel like it has neither the flexability of say a B17, nor the ability to resist sagging of say a Team Pro... I have rather lost confidence in the Menthe - a saddle that appears to have a bit of an identity crisis. I haven't altogether given up on it, though - it now resides on my Brompton.
Its profile is somewhat restored, having tightened the nose adjustment bolt, which was very loose after the first trip away - whether it was tight enough, when it arrived with me, I don't know - I didn't check it...

Well....yes...there's waterproofing and "waterproofing" I suppose.
I'm afraid any leather saddle or any leather is going to react in that way to being soaked as it is the nature of leather. I'm not sure that it's entirely fair to blame one particular make of saddle though. I hope it comes right for you as they are pricey objects. Given that the leather top can be removed, would it be worth enquiring whether it could be replaced?

Yes, when I bought a GB saddle from Spa I noticed a small rip (2mm) in the leather by a "rivet" after the first ride. Spa took it back and sent it to GB, where a new top was put on free of charge. I don't know how they will view your problem, but it is worth asking.
Young@Heart

Post by Young@Heart »

That's good to hear, it was the grippyness I was worried about as I've had some nightmares on plastic saddles!!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Currently £81 in the wiggle sale
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

mnichols wrote:Currently £81 in the wiggle sale

Which is £1 more than my lbs sold mine to me for!

Good spot though. It's a fantastic saddle. [emoji106]
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

You have a very good lbs
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

mnichols wrote:You have a very good lbs

...and he has a good customer who bought a whole bike off him [emoji6]