Best Way to clean Waterbottles?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pga

Re: Best Way to clean Waterbottles?

Post by pga »

Milton in the bottle.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

A good swish in hot water with a bit of fairy liquid it perfectly adequate for me.

The main thing is to wash them straight after a ride to avoid any nasty stuff multiplying. When touring if I arrive at the destination for the day knackered I'll still give them a quick swill in water and then leave them full of water while I sort myself out, then give them a proper wash later.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Chuck 'em in the dish washer, press "Start". Couldn't be simpler.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
beardy

Post by beardy »

It could, if there isnt a dishwasher there to chuck it in.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Don't you need a bit of acid with bicarbonate to sterilize? The theory is it releases co2 which kills the bugs, but that needs acid conditions to release the co2 from the bicarbonate.
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

Bottom shelf in the supermarkets - thin bleach - 29p/2litres. Just a small splash of it, fill the bottle, 10 minutes, then rinse. Thin bleach does not have thickening agent, so will rinse easily and nor does it have any added pine aroma, so the bottle won't smell like a clean toilet! I know this because homebrewers use thin bleach to sterilise everything.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

After washing and rinsing, I use a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda, some water then shake the bottle vigorously. Empty and rinse again. This takes any weird smells away.