Travelling on London Midland

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DaveGos

Travelling on London Midland

Post by DaveGos »

I am aiming to get a train Wolverhampton to Liverpool on a Sunday afternoon , coming back after 7 pm on a Monday with bike. The web site says 2 bikes on the train , guards discretion , off peak only etc . Does anybody have experience of London Midland . I am then going to catch the ferry to the Isle of Man , so I need to be pretty certain I can get the train particularly on the Sunday going there
alicat

Re: Travelling on London Midland

Post by alicat »

It depends on the type of train but the ones I have experience of (Crewe to London; Birmingham Cross City line) have a space where there are tip up seats near the toilet. Wheelchairs and probably pushchairs get priority.

You don't need to book but try to avoid getting on in the middle of rush hour and don't upset the guard. Use your common sense and look for the disabled sign and you should be okay.
alicat

Post by alicat »

Just read the original post again and noticed the times you are travelling. The train will be half empty and you will be fine.

Have a good time.
robgul

Post by robgul »

LM is VERY relaxed on bikes - 14 is our record on the same one. As said - day/time will be fine - just look for the wheelchair sign and there's loads of space - and handy for the toilet.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
pga

Post by pga »

Depends on how many coaches. Every four coaches have bike facilties. Generally London Midland is fairly liberal. Bikes are always propped by the doors as well. Avoid busy periods.