Rear Rechargeable Bike Light?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Moss

Rear Rechargeable Bike Light?

Post by Moss »

Hey, any recommendations for a suitable rechargeable rear bike light ??
De Sisti

Re: Rear Rechargeable Bike Light?

Post by De Sisti »

MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Any light that takes AA or AAA cells. eg Smart half watt http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Watt-Cycle-Light-batt/dp/B00HF89OJI Instead of the cells supplied use Eneloop or similar.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

very pleased and impressed with my see sense light.

http://shop.seesense.cc/collections/all/products/see-sense-2-0-rear-light

cars seem to give me much more room when passing.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Moss

Post by Moss »

I like the look of the See-Sense light.
Moss

Post by Moss »

De Sisti wrote:Dinotte 400R

nice light, bit expensive for my budget .
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

Hi....I've got a light and motion 180 vis rear light-around £70 when I bought it....nice and bright, sturdy build and usb rechargeable-been much more reliable than others I've had such as smart and the like.

Dave
freiston

Post by freiston »

MikeF wrote:Any light that takes AA or AAA cells. eg Smart half watt http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Watt-Cycle-Light-batt/dp/B00HF89OJI Instead of the cells supplied use Eneloop or similar.

I'm a fan of rechargeable batteries like eneloop (low self-discharge) too - that way you can also take a spare set for a long journey. The power requirement of back lights is small enough to allow for compact designs running off AAA cells, such as the one in Mike's post above, if that is a consideration. You always have the option of buying disposable batteries too if the need arises.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Moss wrote:Hey, any recommendations for a suitable rechargeable rear bike light ??
What sort do you want?

I have one of these, and it's charged via USB.
Reeeeerly bright, and very small and versatile, but it depends on what you want.

Big it ain't, but nice and neat and bright.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-ktv-drive-rear/

Very very very pleased with mine, and I have the matching front one too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I got a cateye xlite, only 25 lumens but 180 degrees visible and very visible so enough for me. The rubber backing came off but instead of replacing or returning the unit I just bought the xlite x2 updated version. It's 50 lumens but has the same wide visibility angle. Seriously bright red light to be seen by.

USB charged with the same type modern smart phones use so if using for commuting chances are you'll have enough of these to leave one at work for charging or someone will have one at work. Either way not a problem to charge. BTW IME if travelling you'll find somewhere to charge them if you carry the cable and plug. I've charged cameras and camera batteries at shops from print/copier shops to chemists. Some charge a little. Short tours a battery pack will be good enough.

The cateye xlite range (there's an even brighter x3 version) all use one of 2 sizes of rubber washer to hold it on the bike. Easily replaced if they fails. Small one holds mine on the seat stay, the bigger one into the seat post and even the rack where it has the plate to take a rear light bracket.
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

I use Blackburn Fleas front and rear. They are designed for Bell's Muni Helmet. They are excellent for being seen.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Nothing wrong with the one Aldi's doing at the moment. 25 lumens, saddle bracket and rubber O loop, mini USB cable - £8.99. See my review under Lidl cycle stuff post, same section.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Eyebrox wrote:Nothing wrong with the one Aldi's doing at the moment. 25 lumens, saddle bracket and rubber O loop, mini USB cable - £8.99. See my review under Lidl cycle stuff post, same section.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/

Except if anything like our local Aldi, sold out on first day..... similar to Moon at approx 4x the price, and a pretty good light.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Aldi in Irvine had plenty today. There are five Aldi shops within 30 miles here so worth a drive round if you need certain items and the quality is good enough. That's the benefit of these forum reviews.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Dinotte daytime red is the best ( and even brighter than the 400R).

Lumicycle insight is also v good and supporting British industry.

No doubt some people will say these are crazy prices for a rear light and no person in their right mind would pay such prices: I would reply that something is worth what a person will pay and what price your life?

I had 3 months off work; multiple injuries; couldn't walk for 2 months in 2012 after a car hit me in the day.

I now use first class lights ( front and rear) in the day and car driver behaviour is visibly different in that they slow down and give a much wider berth when overtaking and are far more aware of me at junctions.
Different lights on different bikes:
Philips Saferide 80
Philips Saferide 60 dynamo on others.
Customised Dinotte- with narrow beam lenses and long throw for road.
Customised Dinotte 1200 - upgraded LED's.

Philips Activeride with switchable MTB and dipped beam modes - because the lithion ion battery can last for 8 hours, I used it on this years Dunwich Dynamo.
I also like the Philips Saferide rear - still available on anazon
Finally, most rear lights, in comparison to the above 2are crap.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.