Sweat rash

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Davidwd

Sweat rash

Post by Davidwd »

I have suffered with sweat rash at the tops of my legs, I have had it quite a long time now. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this please.
pwa

Re: Sweat rash

Post by pwa »

No, but I think it may be one of those fungal infections. Dandruff shampoos are anti-fungal. And the local pharmacist may be able to suggest something.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I assume by the tops of legs you are referingto the groin/ inner thigh, In which case it could saddle soreness might be the problem. have you tried chamiox cream or something like Sudacream.

It could also be reaction to your washing powder may be worth changing to a milder and non bilogical. Also different soaps or shower gels can cause this especially if you are swaeting a lot whilst exercising

Agreed with PWA if its persistant it could be a fungal infection
If its not saddle sores you may be better seeking medical advice either Pharmassist or your doctor
NUKe

Post by 73Chaz »

I had something similar, went on for a long time. I tried various moisturisers, none of which helped. Eventually I tried a fungicidal cream and it cleared up immediately and two years or so later it has not returned. I did not think it was a fungal infection as it appeared just like heat or sweat rash, otherwise I would not have lived with it for so long!
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

The old remedy was permanganate of potash, very effective, are you allowed to use it now?
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Get some Clotrimazole 1% cream from a pharmacy , it clears up that rash very quickly and is cheap if you get the generic rather than the branded version
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Ugly wrote:The old remedy was permanganate of potash, very effective, are you allowed to use it now?

Mail-order from Amazon - I suspect if you went into a chemist for it these days they would give you short shrift.

When I was a child we used it for Athlete's Foot. It was quite effective but the strong staining was a bit of a shock initially. :lol:
nez

Post by nez »

Is that the blue stuff? I remember feet painted with it in the 60s!
Moodyman1

Sweat rash

Post by Moodyman1 »

Non branded clotrimazole has been very effective for me.

Once it's gone the trick to keep it away is to use clean shorts and shower quickly after a ride. Also using Vaseline / sudocreme works because as well helping with chafing it seals the pores so bacteria can't get in and create cysts.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Moodyman1 wrote:Non branded clotrimazole has been very effective for me.

Once it's gone the trick to keep it away is to use clean shorts and shower quickly after a ride. Also using Vaseline / sudocreme works because as well helping with chafing it seals the pores so bacteria can't get in and create cysts.

Sudocreme is fine, but Vaseline can actually make things worse. While it does do lubricating and sealing, pores already have bacteria in them (even if you wash carefully & frequently, some remain; they don't usually hurt anything) and if we seal it in, it can be highly irritating. Sudocreme, on the other hand, has healing qualities and is designed for exactly that kind of situation (even if it was for babies).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
TrekMad

Post by TrekMad »

I've had this, creams can work, but the real solution is to keep the area VERY dry. It's an old army trick. Or, a learned response! Fungal infections only thrive in warm and wet areas. Keep those areas dry and cool and it'll be gone in a few weeks. So, don't wash the area very often ( twice a week tops, and use talc every day. Anytime you experience sweating in the area, dry it off with tissue immediately.

I got rid permanently the infection in a fortnight with the above 'ex army' method, without any creams, steroids or anti biotics.