Milk?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bigjim

Re: Milk?

Post by bigjim »

On the other hand high testosterone has been associated with prostate cancer and treated with estrogen to combat it. Milk has high levels of estrogen. So what can you believe?

Also "The figures also show that the UK imports the equivalent of 3 billion litres of milk each year". If the supermarkets are not selling it, it must be going somewhere.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

123malford wrote:It might be precautious to moderate milk consumption. http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topic ... ate-cancer
It is a little difficult to believe that website, as it seems to be pushing a vegan diet, so it naturally would have bad things to say about milk. They also say eggs are bad for your cholesterol, yet the BBC (again) had people consuming 20 or so a week for some months, with no changes to blood results.

I do question whether liquid made for bulking up baby cows is the right thing for adult humans to be drinking regularly, but I can't imagine breakfast without milk, the alternatives to my preferred weetabix being a greasy and time consuming fry up or unappealing banana and some toast.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The whole eggs bad for cholesterol thing has been debunked. Basically it's something to do with the good and bad cholesterol. IIRC the eggs help with good cholesterol which lowers bad cholesterol. Or that is how I remember it.

It's the same way if your gp finds you have.high cholesterol they do another test to break it down. I know someone who for years got told to change her diet to lower a high cholesterol. Later on her gp did the full test and it turns out that her bad cholesterol levels (the ones bad for the heart and many conditions) was very low but the good cholesterol levels were high putting the total into the warning level.

Nowadays they are know more about it but vested interests can still rely on delayed knowledge or acceptance of current health advice to pedal their narratives. If you have to distort the truth then just how good is your argument?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

yakdiver wrote:Banana milk shake is nice after a hot summer ride

Well - yes - but -

I used to swear by "Nesquick" - milk shake powder. Banana or strawberry flavour. It worked magic for me. I caused much laughter one year when I rode our DA's 240 miles in 24 hour standard ride on nothing but banana "Nesquick" and semi-skimmed milk. I did it as a sort of experiment - this was late 1970s, and I still get the occasional mention from those who were there. We had a sag-wagon, and I had 16 litres of the stuff - and it was brilliant - worked a dream. I used it as a mainstay for my longer rides for years - up to about 15 years ago.

Then it stopped working, or didn't work anywhere near as well. When it worked, it was sweetened with glucose - the ingredients showed it to be well stocked with glucose. After it stopped working - about 15 years ago, but could be a bit more, there was no glucose, only sugar. To be honest, I didn't notice any change in taste.................it just stopped working. The banana and strawberry flavours both majored in glucose, but the chocolate flavour never did, and I found that that never worked.

If you've found a glucose-loaded milk shake mix.................please tell me. Currently I use Thornton's chocolate marzipan for recovery of blood sugar on a ride, and just hot milk as soon as I get home.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes I know it's an old thread, but an on topic addition/question.

What do folk favour for milk shake mix?

Have recently taken to making a quick milkshake after a longer ride as I understand that it is a good recovery drink.

It's also a doubtless healthier alternative than the other urge after a ride - to reach for a beer.

I'm looking for something that acts as a protein recovery drink. gives me a feeling of being moderately full to stave off hunger, but is also fairly low in calories.

I like chocolate flavour.

But on looking at the mixes on the market they seem to have a lot of sugar in them - in fact the biggest single ingredient in Nesquik is sugar.

Can't be good?

And strikes me as the old food industry trick of adulteration/flogging you simple stuff you don't need to "add value".

Others have, of all things in them, dried milk! Seems barmy when I'm adding milk I perfectly like.

Have tried adding cocoa powder on the basis that I just want cocoa and milk with no filler, but it doesn't seem to mix properly.

Have just popped out and bought some of this:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gro ... -shot-320g

A bit pricey but I only use a single teaspoon in 200ml of skimmed milk and, after some very vigorous stirring (with admitedly a bit of the gloop remaining on the spoon to be licked off) it does seem to work pretty well.

Apparently just 14 calories per teaspoon.

56 calories in the milk I am using apparently.

edit - I also found these - sound promising, zero calories supposedly, toffee flavour seems to get good reviews.

But pricey, particularly after the postage charge:

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrit ... er-reviews

Folks got any other suggestions?
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Yup
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I find milk is an excellent drink when I'm cycling. I sometimes stop at a local shop and buy a pint of it. It's cool, easily drinkable and seems to give me an energy boost. I don't want it tainted with flavourings though. I've now bought a Thermos flask with the intention of taking some with me, but I haven't tried it yet.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Lactose intolerance is as high at 95% in some Asian countries (but only in adults - the intolerance onset is usually in late childhood/early adulthood - i.e. after weaning).

We in the west are unique in our consumption of large quantities of milk. May also be due to the fact that milk curdles within hours in hot climates (particularly those that can't afford refrigeration!)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JohnW wrote:

Well - yes - but -

I used to swear by "Nesquick" - milk shake powder. Banana or strawberry flavour. It worked magic for me. I caused much laughter one year when I rode our DA's 240 miles in 24 hour standard ride on nothing but banana "Nesquick" and semi-skimmed milk. I did it as a sort of experiment - this was late 1970s, and I still get the occasional mention from those who were there. We had a sag-wagon, and I had 16 litres of the stuff - and it was brilliant - worked a dream. I used it as a mainstay for my longer rides for years - up to about 15 years ago.

Then it stopped working, or didn't work anywhere near as well. When it worked, it was sweetened with glucose - the ingredients showed it to be well stocked with glucose. After it stopped working - about 15 years ago, but could be a bit more, there was no glucose, only sugar. To be honest, I didn't notice any change in taste.................it just stopped working. The banana and strawberry flavours both majored in glucose, but the chocolate flavour never did, and I found that that never worked.

If you've found a glucose-loaded milk shake mix.................please tell me. Currently I use Thornton's chocolate marzipan for recovery of blood sugar on a ride, and just hot milk as soon as I get home.

*it stopped working* did the product change, or did you change?

I like yoghurt, rice pudding, fruit puree, homemade pancakes, Staffordshire oatcakes. And porridge of course
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:Have tried adding cocoa powder on the basis that I just want cocoa and milk with no filler, but it doesn't seem to mix properly.

It generally works best if you start with the powder, and add a small amount of milk to make a thinnish paste, then add the rest of the milk.
This applies to most powder/liquid mixing, such as reconstituting powdered milk.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

andrew_s wrote:
Sweep wrote:Have tried adding cocoa powder on the basis that I just want cocoa and milk with no filler, but it doesn't seem to mix properly.

It generally works best if you start with the powder, and add a small amount of milk to make a thinnish paste, then add the rest of the milk.
This applies to most powder/liquid mixing, such as reconstituting powdered milk.

Thanks andrew. Should have thought of that as have done with other stuff. Will try and report back
Sweep
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

toontra wrote:Lactose intolerance is as high at 95% in some Asian countries (but only in adults - the intolerance onset is usually in late childhood/early adulthood - i.e. after weaning).

We in the west are unique in our consumption of large quantities of milk. May also be due to the fact that milk curdles within hours in hot climates (particularly those that can't afford refrigeration!)
As far as I know I haven't any intolerance to lactose, although a recent blood test showed some impairment to glucose tolerance. People of different ethic origin as a group appear to have different tolerances to different things eg lactose, alcohol. Probably as a result of what foods our ancestors used.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I sometimes buy a pint (or half-litre ?) in a shop when I'm riding and need some refreshment. But what I don't understand is why it's often (usually?) cheaper than buying the same amount of water. I appreciate that dairy farmers probably aren't paid enough for their milk, but even if they gave it away free then milk should still cost more than water in the shop because it has shorter shelf-life and needs refrigerating, both in transit and while in the shop.
It's a weird system of economics we have.
Chris F, Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting if thread drift point chris.

I suspect it is because bottled water has still managed to retain a bit of the ponce/marketing factor.

I well remember rounding an aisle of my local tescos in the mad london 80s and being greeted by a great big sign announcing "waters of the world" - almost a full aisle of the stuff - madness madness I tell you.
Sweep
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

But on looking at the mixes on the market they seem to have a lot of sugar in them - in fact the biggest single ingredient in Nesquik is sugar.

I buy Pulsin sugar free protein powder - whey or soy and add milk, cocoa powder, yoghurt, milk powder and a banana. Whiz it up and enjoy. Sometimes I add mango or grapefruit or spirulina