When should bibknicker be used?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
serbring

When should bibknicker be used?

Post by serbring »

Hi all,

I need to buy a new bottomwear for cycling. So far I had used tight or bibtight and and I'm considering also to buy bibknicker. When are they better than tight/bibtight?

thanks
pwa

Re: When should bibknicker be used?

Post by pwa »

They can be just right on days when the temperature is a bit cool for shorts, but you feel longs would cook you. But they actually cover a wide range of temperatures, from moderately warm to moderately cold. I don't have any at the moment, but when I did I found I used them a lot.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Er… when you want something to keep your knees warm but don't want the warmth of a full tight. Personally I find myself wearing roubaix 3/4s for most of the year: they're generally fine for me in anything from near freezing to about 30C. The main reason I move to shorts in the summer is to avoid getting tan lines below my knees :)
pwa

Post by pwa »

stewartpratt wrote:Er… when you want something to keep your knees warm but don't want the warmth of a full tight. Personally I find myself wearing roubaix 3/4s for most of the year: they're generally fine for me in anything from near freezing to about 30C. The main reason I move to shorts in the summer is to avoid getting tan lines below my knees :)

Yes, that was my experience. I bought them thinking that they were a bit niche and would only be used occasionally, and I found myself using them a lot. I did not use them in the hottest weather or the coldest, but most weather is between those extremes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I prefer bibshorts and kneewarmers for cooler day and legwarmers when colder,if it warms up later in the day,such as it has been doing just lately,they can be removed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I tend to use knickers in the autumn / spring to keep my dodgy knees a bit warmer - I actually wore them all last winter as it didn't get properly cold very often. I prefer bibs as I hate having to keep hitching stuff up!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

reohn2 wrote:I prefer bibshorts and kneewarmers for cooler day and legwarmers when colder,if it warms up later in the day,such as it has been doing just lately,they can be removed.

+1 except i generally wear shorts without the bib......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've had the same pair of bibknickers for the past 21 years and have probably worn them about 6 times. If it's a bit chilly or cold in the morning and will warm up later I either knee or leg warmers respectively. If it's cold and not going to warm up I wear bibtights.
mig

Post by mig »

i use 3/4 bibs alot pretty much year around. endura do a slightly lighter weight one than roubaix - fieldsensor fabric - which is a good compromise. as for knee warmers and shorts yes that's good too, especially with roubaix shorts (which were popular only a few years ago but i no longer can find a supplier at reasonable prices.)
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I think a lot depends on the time of day that you ride. If you're out early in the morning or in the evening at this time of year, it can get pretty chilly. I find that I'm wearing my bib nicks for most rides at this time of year. Too cold for shorts but not yet cold enough for full longs. That said I only use mine in Sept/Oct and March/April.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

A lot. Haven't swapped yet but will when its gets cold in my shorts as these are almost always of a lighter fabric than 4/3. If I use knee warmers when its cold to start but will probably warm up.
Got to get near freezing before I swap to full tights. In the rain I prefer 3/4's as its easier to seal the top of the overshoes with bare legs with a m/c inner tube gasket.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Being tall and thin I find it hard to 3/4 that are the right length and a snug fit around my legs, so I use shorts and knee warmers in spring and autumn weather. If it warms up while I'm out - or during the day in time for my ride home from work - I take off the knee warmers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just some joggers that I roll up to the knees when it gets warm or I do. seems like people here want to spend money :wink:
mig

Post by mig »

mercalia wrote:just some joggers that I roll up to the knees when it gets warm or I do. seems like people here want to spend money :wink:

:D