How we can live in peace with the pedestrian public?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrekMad

How we can live in peace with the pedestrian public?

Postby TrekMad » 1 Oct 2015, 8:04am

Whilst out leisure cycling at the weekend on our local cycle path, came across a dog off its leash about 50 yards up the track with its owner dawdling behind going through the bramble bushes. The dog came straight at me so I slowed down and just as I stopped it made a lunge to nip me .

The owner saunters along and I explained, calmly what happened. He went ballistic. Effing and Jeffing, with the parting salvo: You #$**** ( cyclists) you want the roads, you want the pavements and now you want the #$****! paths!!!!

I just rode off but on reflection later, i could see how an uninformed pedestrian could come to this conclusion, that cyclists were everywhere and they wanted the best of all worlds.

Is he right, are we asking for too much?
Last edited by TrekMad on 1 Oct 2015, 12:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

beardy

Re: How we can live in peace with the pedestrian public?

Postby beardy » 1 Oct 2015, 8:13am

I live in peace with pedestrians, dog owners on the other hand are a problem to pedestrians, cyclists, car drivers and people trying to enjoy themselves in their own property. They also cause trouble with other dog owners.

TrekMad

Postby TrekMad » 1 Oct 2015, 8:16am

What's the law (and liability) for untethered dogs on cycle tracks, can they be prosecuted for causing an accident?

gaz

Postby gaz » 1 Oct 2015, 8:35am

Hand wash only. Do not iron.

TrekMad

Postby TrekMad » 1 Oct 2015, 8:41am

I'm really beginning.to think that a public information film should be made (and regularly broadcast) to bring the public up to speed with their responsibilitues on paths, Advanced Stop Lanes, riding two abreast, ect, ect.

There seems to me to be a tremendous amount of disinformation and raw ignorance about cycling and how its moved on and no one overly keen to redress the situation.

Its this thundering ignorance, in my experience which causes a lot of the friction between drivers/pedestrians/ dog owners and us, as cyclists.

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Oct 2015, 8:48am

TrekMad wrote:Is he right, are we asking for too much, too soon?

No. Far too often, cyclists have been asking for too little and accepting less, which is how we've got to the current hell of a disjointed network, roads that are a barrier to most people and an unfairly small fraction of transport budgets.

The person you met was clearly a nutter with an out of control dog in a public place. Many walkers hate them too. Don't worry about it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

beardy

Postby beardy » 1 Oct 2015, 8:58am

I'm really beginning.to think that a public information film should be made (and regularly broadcast) to bring the public up to speed with their responsibilitues on paths, Advanced Stop Lanes, riding two abreast, ect, ect.

These issues are not really "big" enough to warrant it, they would only be interested in a video promoting the wearing of helmets.

Chris Boardman has taken matters into his own hands, making such videos and maybe after doing a hundred more important things, he may get around to helmets.

pwa

Postby pwa » 1 Oct 2015, 9:40am

Perhaps because I hardly ever use shared use tracks I have no problems with pedestrians I meet. Yes, I sometimes have to slow down to pass a dog walker whose dog is a bit wayward, but we exchange a few pleasantries and carry on. If I did meet an aggressive nutter I would firstly make sure I could outpace him / her should the need arise, then suggest medication might be the answer to what ails them. Reasoned argument is pointless in that situation.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 1 Oct 2015, 10:31am

It's not a Them and Us problem between cyclists and <insert other transport-using group of choice here>, it's a problem between reasonable people (be they on bikes, foot, in cars, whatever) and abject tossers.

The majority if the pedestrian public, dog-walkers included, are IME entirely reasonable and easy to co-exist with, so in those cases a non-issue. But the abject tosser element will be a problem because, well, because they're abject tossers. That is entirely independent of their transport modality, and you get some of them on bikes too.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

whoof

Postby whoof » 1 Oct 2015, 11:13am

pjclinch wrote:It's not a Them and Us problem between cyclists and <insert other transport-using group of choice here>, it's a problem between reasonable people (be they on bikes, foot, in cars, whatever) and abject tossers.

The majority if the pedestrian public, dog-walkers included, are IME entirely reasonable and easy to co-exist with, so in those cases a non-issue. But the abject tosser element will be a problem because, well, because they're abject tossers. That is entirely independent of their transport modality, and you get some of them on bikes too.

Pete.

Totally agree. I used shared paths 5 days a week to get to and fro work. I see ignorant, selfish and downright dangerous behaviour from pedestrians, cyclist, dog walkers, users of mobility scooters..... no one group has an monopoly on idiocy.

horizon

Postby horizon » 1 Oct 2015, 11:17am

TrekMad wrote:
Is he right, are we asking for too much, too soon?

We never asked for it - we (or at least some cyclists, not I) are forced onto the shared paths and pavements. We asked for a reasonable share of the roads but have never got it unless we fight for it.
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Oct 2015, 12:11pm

horizon wrote:We never asked for it - we (or at least some cyclists, not I) are forced onto the shared paths and pavements. We asked for a reasonable share of the roads but have never got it unless we fight for it.

That can't be true because CTC fought for it for decades and never got it... Well, we might have it in theory, but in practice most people are scared away from cycling on the roads by rampant motorism. I fought for it for a while, but then I realised I don't care whether we have protected space in the carriageway or cycle tracks away from them (and all cycle tracks are shared in practice because even if pedestrians were prohibited from them, there's almost no chance of it being policed), as long as there's a decent transport network of cycle-friendly routes.

I still don't like pavement cycling, whether or not the pavement has been given white paint and blue signs. A good footway probably isn't a good cycle track unless it is rebuilt with better widths and alignments.
pwa wrote:Perhaps because I hardly ever use shared use tracks I have no problems with pedestrians I meet. ...

That probably isn't the reason. I used them almost every trip and it's been about a year since there was even a sarcastic comment - in that case it was something like "why don't cyclists have bells any more?" but I was passing at over 2m distance and had rung but they can't have heard because of passing motor vehicles - I called something like "I did ring!", rang the bell, looked back, smiled, waved and rode on.

There's just not many nutters about in most places. :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 1 Oct 2015, 12:59pm

Hi,
Like said its not just one type of user of transport whether walk or car.

I.M.O............It's the "Herd Mentality" which is driven by not looking out of place with family friends and peers, backed up by frequent visits to a social media for reassurance, we all do it but hopefully for the right not wrong reasons.
If you think you are that person you wish to be.

Any comment at all even down to earth advise is a licence to retort all guns blazing.............they feel insecure.....the words mean nothing......but get them in over their head and failure or backing down is weakness...............even when its safer not to start on a complete stranger.............you never know who you might meet next.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 1 Oct 2015, 1:34pm

I'm really beginning.to think that a public information film should be made (and regularly broadcast) to bring the public up to speed with their responsibilities on paths, Advanced Stop Lanes, riding two abreast,

Totally agree, and you can add motorists giving cyclist sufficient room when passing.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 1 Oct 2015, 6:59pm

Last Sunday I encountered a group of 4 walkers, and politely approached them from behind, saying 'good afternoon', they move slightly for me to pass. After I'd passed one of them shouted after me "you are illegal, as you don't have a bell" I slowed so they caught me up, and she again said "you are illegal, I teach Cycling Proficiency" Hmm I thought pity the kids! Anyway I just said "I'm sorry I don't think you'll find my bike is illegal, as I believe I'm only required to have 'Audible Warning of Approach', and if situations really get bad I just shout very loudly- It's more effective than a bell!" The others in the group (from when she first shouted after me) were a bit embarrassed by her, I think, and found my response quite amusing (unless they were laughing at me). Anyway I thought I made my point in a polite way. :D