Frame repair/ who is the frame builder?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ventoux06

Frame repair/ who is the frame builder?

Post by Ventoux06 »

Hello,
This is my first post and any advice and information is greatly appreciated!
I recently picked up a lovely John Perks touring bike which rides superbly well. I've discovered the seat tube lug has a small crack at the seat post bolt. There is some rust there and the seat post itself shows some scoring. I hope this isn't terminal and could be repaired. Can anyone please recommend what the repair would entail, and, a frame repairer in South London? I cycled past Gloucester Road, Croydon yesterday just to confirm that Chas Roberts has really gone (sad!). I would travel to have it fixed.

Secondly, would anyone know who the frame builder was? It's a privilege to know John and I've managed to ask the great man who would've built it. The frame is stamped '13' on the bottom bracket, has pretty lugs, Reynolds '531 butted frame tubes' and '531 fork blades' stickers, both derailleur cables are routed above the bottom bracket, pencil seat stays, adjuster screws in the rear dropouts and the fork has an attractive long rake with a braze on for lamp bracket. The specification of the bike: Suntour 'Power' downtube levers, Cyclone II and ARX derailleurs on a 5 speed freewheel, Weinmann centre pulls and rims, SR double chainset and Randonneur bars, Lyotard pedals, may give further clues to the approximate date of manufacture.

From John, and looking around Classic Lightweights and other sites, it seems it could be from Mike Kowal, Knight Cycles of Wolverhampton, or John's son, Andy Perks.

Thank you!
Psamathe

Re: Frame repair/ who is the frame builder?

Post by Psamathe »

I saw a similar question else where fairly recently so you might find a useful thread is you look around.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Hi
I guess you're near south london? There are two brothers who run a bike framebuilding repair and paint business. Their names are Winston and Mario Vaz.
http://smbe.co.uk/vfw2/VFW2/Welcome.html
Not actually used them but by all accounts they're both good.
Good luck
Gerry

Edited for shocking spelling mistakes!!!
Ventoux06

Post by Ventoux06 »

Thanks very much for replies and advice. The link to Winston and Mario Vaz is much appreciated.
ignatzcatz

Post by ignatzcatz »

If you can get down to the Horsham area I'd be happy to weld or braze up your frame FOC. I have seen a few cracks and such in this area due sometimes to over-tightening or incorrect sized seat pins. Unfortunately the paint in the immediate vicinity would be burnt off but a bit of Humbrol would see you right if you are not too fussy.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'd be interested to see where the crack is, exactly. If it is in an area that is all-steel, with no braze metal nearby, I'd certainly advocate fusion welding (MIG or TIG) rather than brazing as a repair, in which case not every framebuilder will be able to do the job.

I have repaired several frames in the seat lug area in ways that a traditional framebuilder might not have, using MIG welding. For example;

- cracked seat lug ear. A pressed steel part, the damaged region was built up using MIG welding and dressed back. The repair was stronger than the original part had been.

- a torn seat tube; a crack had gone from the bottom of the slot down into the seat tube. Whilst the frame wasn't seriously weakened by this cracks only ever get bigger and it didn't exactly look good either. I mig welded the crack up and dressed back the weld (inside and outside) so that you couldn't easily see that it had been done.

If you have the chance to post a photo of the damage you may get some suggestions for repair techniques that you wouldn't otherwise have thought of.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ventoux06

Post by Ventoux06 »

I've just revisited this thread: apologies for the late reply. Many thanks to ignatzcatz for the advice and generous offer, and, to Brucey for the advice. I took the frame to Winston Vaz: Winston was a total gent with his time and advice. My ignorance and pessimism saw a frame crack where there wasn't one. Whoops: it's all learning. As a postscript, we know where to go for a custom frame next year!

Thanks for all the contributions and support.

If anyone can shed any light on the origin of the frame I'd be very grateful. The history of frame builders and sub contracting is a fascinating lesson.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

There's a chap here https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/255909/ on LFGSS who has a long running thread about a Varonha (winston and mario) custom frame.
It may be of interest.
Good luck
Ventoux06

Post by Ventoux06 »

Thanks gerrymcm,

I read that thread with much interest.
Ventoux06

Post by Ventoux06 »

Just to post an update. It was my father's 75th birthday recently and we had a pleasant cycle along the Waterlink Way towards Hither Green. We visited Winston Vaz to ask if he would build a Varonha frame for the occasion. I enclose a gallery and hope it may be of interest to fellow CTC members.

The frame is thin wall Reynolds 853, parallel 73 degree angles, with Newvex lugs. My father was asked if he would like his initials on the fork crown: they are hand cut in stainless steel. Another highlight is the stainless steel star cutout from the head badge soldered onto the seat tube. Paint and lug lining by Mario Vaz. Hand built wheels, bike build and photo gallery by The Bicycle Works.

We are delighted with the outcome: https://www.facebook.com/thebicyclework ... =3&theater
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing the pics. Didn't Winston Vaz used to build for Roberts?
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Yep, WInston Vaz built frames for Chas Roberts.

He now forms part of the ad hoc support structure for owners of Roberts bikes needing further work.
Ventoux06

Post by Ventoux06 »

Thanks pedalsheep, appreciate your kind comments and glad you like the bike. Yes, Winston made frames for Roberts.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Graham wrote:Yep, WInston Vaz built frames for Chas Roberts.

He now forms part of the ad hoc support structure for owners of Roberts bikes needing further work.

As does Geoff Roberts, the younger brother of Chas Roberts.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Ventoux06 wrote: If anyone can shed any light on the origin of the frame I'd be very grateful. The history of frame builders and sub contracting is a fascinating lesson.

John Perks is still alive and kicking or he was late last year 2017 . i contacted him re a Perks bike i had bought and i was trying to track a production date , he answered swiftly .

So if you google hard enough you should be able to track him down if not drop me a message and if i still have the e mail i can forward you his e mail address