More Brompton Qs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mick skinner

More Brompton Qs

Post by mick skinner »

The previous thread about Bromptons was really useful to me. With the information I've got now I think I'll go for a M3L, -18% gear ratio, white paint job, mud guard but no rear carrier, probably an Ortlieb T front bag.

Further questions are;

I'm six foot tall (six feet no inches), 35 inch inside leg, will I need the extended seat post or will the standard one do? (I don't want the telescopic seat post).

I'm over weight at the moment but started to successfully loose weight, I'm aware that the upper rider weight limit for Bromptons is 110kg. Are any of you Brompton riders heavier than the 110kg, how much by and is your Brompton ok with it?

Ta in advance.
ArMoRothair

Re: More Brompton Qs

Post by ArMoRothair »

Probably.

I'm 5' 11", in old money, and I use the extended post at max; but I do have lanky legs.

I tried the normal post with the trick of mounting the saddle near its top to eek out that last inch but it still felt too short for me. I really wanted the standard post to work because the bike packs away better with it.
alicat

Post by alicat »

I think you will need the longer seat post.

How much over the 110kg are you? I wouldn't expect it to be a problem but much more than 10% over and you may need to take more care going down kerbs and avoiding potholes or the rims may buckle and spokes break. I would also avoid riding out of the saddle.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I have a 34" inside leg and the standard seatpost was too short for me. I have the telescopic seatpost. This isn't an issue because I have set the top inner seatpost at a height which when I extend the main seatpost to the max is the correct height for me. So I have just the normal job of extending the main seatpost when I unfold my Brompton
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

alicat wrote:wouldn't expect it to be a problem but much more than 10% over and you may need to take more care going down kerbs and avoiding potholes or the rims may buckle and spokes break. I would also avoid riding out of the saddle.

That's good actually because if it's the wheels that are most fragile they can be replaced a lot easier than frame parts, it's weight on the seat post and seat tube area of the frame that I'd be most worried about.

I've now (at the time of writing) gone under 140kg and I'm losing about a kilogram a week. So if you're right, alicat, it should be about it should be about 18 or nineteen weeks before I feel ok about getting a Brompton.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I'm 5'8" with a 30" (maybe shorter?) inside leg. I have a standard seatpost with the saddle mounted as high as it will manage, and it's just right when maxxed out (very handy actually, if it's at the very top I've got it set right, no need for reference marks). I typically like my saddle a little higher than similarely sized folk on Any Given Bike, but even so I'd suspect you're in the market for a longer one.

Depending on your riding/uses I'd consider the hub dynamo. Mine has a SON (and slightly spread forks because it long predates the narrow one now used as standard) because when I bought it nothing else would really do the wee wheels and halogen bulbs available at the time, but I imagine you'd do fine with the much cheaper Shimano option these days. I just like never having to worry about whether I have lights with me, but if that doesn't bother you then a seatpost-mounted blinkie works well on a Brom and whatever flavour of battery light on the bars.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

I used a Brompton for nearly 6 years until I retired and then found little use for it, a couple of points

I weighed 105kg or so and had no problems with the standard wheels other than breaking surface wear

I used the extending seat post. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the original post and inserted a nut and bolt so that it would stop against the frame as it was raised, then I raised the extended portion to correct position. when folding I just dropped the original seatpin not moving the extension seatpin.
when unfolding simply raise the original pin, the bolt engages against the frame an you have the exact saddle height every time. Hope this is clear, easier to do than describe
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

I am 5'11'' with a 33" inseam and definitely needed the extended seatpost. Go for the firm suspension as well.