Post a photo of your commuter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GrumpyCyclist

Re: Post a photo of your commuter

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Mick F wrote:Sorry, I thought the subject was Post a Photo of your Computer! :oops:
Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 14.48.30.png

Why can't phpBB software have a 'like' button? I like that Mick :)

Don't have a commuter, and don't think I could ride a single speed anymore, but that's a nice looking bike in the OP.
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

My main commute bike. A Planet X London Road set up as a single speed without using the magic gear, I can change the gear ratio quite easily and adjust the chain tension with a 3mm allen key :D This was on the christening ride to the pub for breakfast and showed I needed to adjust the front mudguard and back the brakes off a little. The innertube on the forks and seatstays are where the sheffield stand in work contacts the frame but only on the left but it would have looked odd with only one side treated.

Young@Heart

Post by Young@Heart »

I like what Planet x are doing with these unconventional bikes. Obviously there's a strong market for them.
arewethereyet

Post by arewethereyet »

Here's mine. Old Bianchi steel frame, suspect similar to Reynolds 520, with 9spd Veloce /Mirage, rack for shopping on the way home etc. And guards. Only a 2 mile trip each way so barely break sweat. Image
Young@Heart

Post by Young@Heart »

Oh that bianchi is lovely! I'm after similar with track ends but not so easy to.find :(
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a photo of your commutator....? :wink:

But seriously, whilst you can commute on... well... more or less anything, in nice weather, when the days are long, IMHO a proper grind-it-out commuter bike has mudguards, lights (removable winkies are OK in town), luggage carrying capacity, should be corrosion proofed, and preferably have a low-maintenance (or 'disposable') transmission. It should also be unattractive to crims if you need to lock it up anyplace.

I found that if I ever used a 'nice bike' for commuting (secure bike parking at work...), I'd be reluctant to nip into a shop on the way home because of the security worries.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:a photo of your commutator....? :wink:
:lol: :lol:

How about a comparator?
200px-Op-Amp_Comparator.svg.png
200px-Op-Amp_Comparator.svg.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Mick F. Cornwall
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Commentator
Murray Walker.jpg
Murray Walker
Okay, this is getting silly :lol:

I never had a sacrificial bike just for commuting. I can see the logic, but I found that my bikes survived alright with just regular maintenance and cleaning
gaz

Post by gaz »

DSCN1234.JPG

Late 90's Cr-Mo frame. Plenty of old parts around the garage to keep it going for many a year yet.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi All :) , That can't be Gaz's Machine? His always break at the Top/Head Tube ! :oops: TTFN MM
robc02

Post by robc02 »

IMHO a proper grind-it-out commuter bike has mudguards, lights (removable winkies are OK in town), luggage carrying capacity, should be corrosion proofed, and preferably have a low-maintenance (or 'disposable') transmission. It should also be unattractive to crims if you need to lock it up anyplace.

Like this do you mean? -
ImageWinterBike2013 by SturmeyRob, on Flickr
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Genesis Day One Disc with Hebie Chainglider
hercule

Post by hercule »

Giant Action City circa 2000. An example of disposable transmission... Shimano Tourney mechs and 6 speed freewheel. The plan has been to put a Nexus 8 speed hub on it when the transmission finally gives up, but it seems surprisingly indestructible and it gets used in all weathers and neglected yet never misses a beat. I acquired it from a relative for nowt and use it for shopping and other local utility purposes. The initial thought was that I'd not be upset if it got stolen, but now I've become rather attached to it. Since I took this photo I've upgraded the lighting from cheaper Union stuff to a Nordlicht Dynamo and B+M lights. Now that Nordlicht are history, a dynohub is on the cards for when my last rubber dynamo wheel splits.

For work I have a black and red Brompton S6L. It lives under my desk and I wouldn't for a second dream of locking it up somewhere!
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

Well here's the 'Tank'

ImagePresso-34 by Richie C, on Flickr

I bought this back in July from Ebay for £200 from a very nice man in Leeds.

It's a Merida sPresso circa 2008/9 Alfine 8 spd hub gears, Alfine Hydraulic discs, and came with 37mm Conti Contact tyres.

I swapped out the tyres for slightly narrower Marathon Pluses, swapped the pads as they were down to the metal on the front :shock: and since this photo was taken I have coughed up for a Alfine hub dynamo on a Mavic A319 rim from a place in Germany, and hooked up a B&M Cyo RT Senso headlight which is excellent by the way.

a 1000 miles down now and am very happy with it.
Rich
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Here is my current commuter. An Emmelle Panther. Looks (intentionally) horrible but rides OK. It gets chucked in my car and does an easy 5-miles each way. Completely disposable and more or less maintenance free. I park this up and worry-not. The only <good> parts on this bike are the Schwalbe tyres, green(!) Rolls saddle and a semi-decent STX-RC/Mavic 121 front wheel. I needed a q/r front wheel and detachable guards to put in the car quickly.
Attachments
emmelle.JPG