Think it's the time of year to look at my tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GrumpyCyclist

Think it's the time of year to look at my tyres

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Hey all. No idea if this should be here or in the technical section. No doubt it will be moved if needed.

So, still being relatively new to cycling as some of you may remember, I still have a hard time getting my act together to go out when it's raining but I know I'm going to have to otherwise it'll be no cycling for me until March. Hey, it's warm and dry in my house :wink:

Anyway, with the winter coming I think the days of cycle tracks, paths, towpaths, and fields are coming to an end for a while so I'm looking at changing my 700x35 CX tyres for something that might be a little speedier and less chunky on the roads for the wet weather without needing to worry too much that they'll be OK off road. And of course, save wear and tear on my mixed use tyres for next year. My question is this: where is the fine line between tyre width, roll resistance, and ride comfort? 28mm? 32? I guess with the weather turning I'd need my bumps feeling if I went for full road slicks, but I was thinking of a milder tread pattern in a slimmer profile. Any thoughts on this?

edited to change current tyre size to x35. Put x38 in error earlier
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
Tonyf33

Re: Think it's the time of year to look at my tyres

Post by Tonyf33 »

What type of off road are you envisaging?
Why not take a punt on something like these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... SwwbdWKOdY They aren't mine btw.
gaz

Post by gaz »

What internal width are your current rims? That will determine the range of tyre sizes you can fit safely.

Leaving off road knoblies aside tread pattern on a bicycle tyre is largely just for show. Tread compound is a different matter.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Tonyf33 wrote:What type of off road are you envisaging?
Why not take a punt on something like these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... SwwbdWKOdY They aren't mine btw.

The tyres I have on are fine for any off roading I plan on doing. It's the fact that with the weather turning really nasty I'm looking at staying on road almost exclusively now until early next year.

gaz wrote:What internal width are your current rims? That will determine the range of tyre sizes you can fit safely.

Leaving off road knoblies aside tread pattern on a bicycle tyre is largely just for show. Tread compound is a different matter.

I think they're 19mm. Alex Rims XD-Elite. The only sizing I can find is 622x19. No idea if that 19 refers to the internal width or something else. Not had the tyre off to actually measure. As for tread pattern, I see where you're coming from. These are the tyres I've got on now and while not overly knobbly on the centre section they are quite wide at 35mm. When all on road it just feels like a little more hard work than it should be but maybe tyre width isn't as important as I'm thinking either. Especially if only talking 5-7mm

Schwalbe-CX Comp-174.jpg
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I intend - as usual - riding right through the winter. That is if it's not icy or snowy. Rain isn't too bad, but I tend not to go out if it's raining, though don't mind if it rains once I'm out.

I'm running slicks at the moment. 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro, and I'm very impressed indeed. I see no reason to change them until they wear to the canvass. Wet roads, dry roads, they seem just the same.

However, I don't do off-road at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Mick F wrote:I intend - as usual - riding right through the winter. That is if it's not icy or snowy. Rain isn't too bad, but I tend not to go out if it's raining, though don't mind if it rains once I'm out.

I'm running slicks at the moment. 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro, and I'm very impressed indeed. I see no reason to change them until they wear to the canvass. Wet roads, dry roads, they seem just the same.

However, I don't do off-road at all.

I think 23mm might be a little too narrow for my comfort levels. They look like ice skate blades :) I'm considering some 28s, or maybe 25s if the rims could take it, but again at 25mm they may be a bit too narrow for taste. By off road I tend to mean parts of the NCN, country parks, and some local towpaths etc. just to break up the monotony. But with the really wet weather coming I don't fancy getting bogged down in clag.

I know I have to get out in the poor weather, but one of the hardest parts is that starting from scratch it's an expensive do getting set up with warm / weatherproof clothing for cycling in. It's like that old joke about asking for directions and the response of "if I were you I wouldn't start from here".
PH

Post by PH »

GrumpyCyclist wrote:. My question is this: where is the fine line between tyre width, roll resistance, and ride comfort? 28mm? 32?

I think that depends very much on the riders weight, the heavier the rider the higher pressure needed and Mick Fs comfy 23mm tyre would need to too much pressure for a rider like me at around 100kg. The other factor is of course puncture resistance and how important it is too you. I'll accept the occasional but not frequent roadside break and for winter use prefer something around 32mm, like the randonneur Pro
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randon ... city-tyre/

I'll happily commute 10 miles a day on these in everything but ice.
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

PH wrote:
GrumpyCyclist wrote:. My question is this: where is the fine line between tyre width, roll resistance, and ride comfort? 28mm? 32?

I think that depends very much on the riders weight, the heavier the rider the higher pressure needed and Mick Fs comfy 23mm tyre would need to too much pressure for a rider like me at around 100kg. The other factor is of course puncture resistance and how important it is too you. I'll accept the occasional but not frequent roadside break and for winter use prefer something around 32mm, like the randonneur Pro
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randon ... city-tyre/

I'll happily commute 10 miles a day on these in everything but ice.

I'd seen the Panaracer RibMo puncture protection tyres (in 28mm) and was considering those. As you'll see from my sig I'm a little over 100kg at the minute
skid-panaracer-ribmo-pt-black-wired.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

GrumpyCyclist wrote:I know I have to get out in the poor weather, but one of the hardest parts is that starting from scratch it's an expensive do getting set up with warm / weatherproof clothing for cycling in. It's like that old joke about asking for directions and the response of "if I were you I wouldn't start from here".
Too true!

I have two Goretex tops at about £90 each and just bought a new pair of bib tights at nearly £50. A couple of base layers can come it at £25 each, let alone decent cycling footware, thick socks, and a windproof top.

The only way I've done it, is to amass it slowly over the years and replace as they wear out. One Goretex top is about 20years old!

Getting into all-weather commuting back in the late 70s had me in a raincoat and plastic trousers topped by a bobble hat! :lol:
It was all we could afford. Splashing out on cycle-specific gear is an expensive hobby, but if you buy good quality, it'll last and last and last.

Just remembered ........... gloves. I remember wearing wooly gloves and my fingers freezing to the bone. I tried wearing disposable plastic gloves underneath the woolen gloves, but that didn't work. I bought a pair of sheepskin mittens off the market, and although they were ok, squeezing the brakes and changing gear were a nightmare! :lol:

So buy some decent windproof gloves. Millets have a good line of them at reasonable cost.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

I agree with Mick that good stuff lasts and often works out the best buy in the long run, but don't let lack of kit or budget stop you. I've done plenty of miles in track trousers a fleece and pack a mac. The likes of Aldi and Decathlon do some stuff that is often more than adequate, or look out for some of the Planet X bargains.
Back to tyres, I use 28mm in the summer on the best bike, Conti GP four Seasons when I can afford them, but in the winter prefer to have that little bit more rubber on the ground for not much of a loss.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

GrumpyCyclist wrote:... It's the fact that with the weather turning really nasty I'm looking at staying on road almost exclusively now until early next year...

i'm the opposite, when the weather gets bad i keep off the roads. I do occasionally ride on road in winter, but most of the time i'm on the mtb away from traffic when the roads are slippy, the light is poor and the wind is strong.

i love it all on the top of the moors and being blown sideways into ditches, not so much fun amongst traffic.

i keep the same tyres on the road bike, summer or winter, 25c slicks but recently gone tubeless with 28c schwalbe ones. i don't do much offload with the road bike but i have been known to explore muddy slippy tracks with slicks.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

GrumpyCyclist wrote:...
I'd seen the Panaracer RibMo puncture protection tyres (in 28mm) and was considering those. As you'll see from my sig I'm a little over 100kg at the minute
skid-panaracer-ribmo-pt-black-wired.jpg

we cycle camp with the ribmos, a good fast rolling tyre, mine are 35c.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

andrewjoseph wrote:we cycle camp with the ribmos, a good fast rolling tyre, mine are 35c.

andrewjoseph wrote:i'm the opposite, when the weather gets bad i keep off the roads. I do occasionally ride on road in winter, but most of the time i'm on the mtb away from traffic when the roads are slippy, the light is poor and the wind is strong.

i love it all on the top of the moors and being blown sideways into ditches, not so much fun amongst traffic.

i keep the same tyres on the road bike, summer or winter, 25c slicks but recently gone tubeless with 28c schwalbe ones. i don't do much offload with the road bike but i have been known to explore muddy slippy tracks with slicks.

They look a decent tyre at a reasonable price. With what you say about sizes I might split the difference and get either 28 or 32 but maybe look at keeping them on most of the time except when I know I'll be going to more out of the way places. Tyres are much easier to swap over these days with QR and discs than always messing with a few bolts.

PH wrote:I agree with Mick that good stuff lasts and often works out the best buy in the long run, but don't let lack of kit or budget stop you. I've done plenty of miles in track trousers a fleece and pack a mac. The likes of Aldi and Decathlon do some stuff that is often more than adequate, or look out for some of the Planet X bargains.
Back to tyres, I use 28mm in the summer on the best bike, Conti GP four Seasons when I can afford them, but in the winter prefer to have that little bit more rubber on the ground for not much of a loss.

Mick F wrote:Too true!

I have two Goretex tops at about £90 each and just bought a new pair of bib tights at nearly £50. A couple of base layers can come it at £25 each, let alone decent cycling footware, thick socks, and a windproof top.

The only way I've done it, is to amass it slowly over the years and replace as they wear out. One Goretex top is about 20years old!

Getting into all-weather commuting back in the late 70s had me in a raincoat and plastic trousers topped by a bobble hat! :lol:
It was all we could afford. Splashing out on cycle-specific gear is an expensive hobby, but if you buy good quality, it'll last and last and last.

Just remembered ........... gloves. I remember wearing wooly gloves and my fingers freezing to the bone. I tried wearing disposable plastic gloves underneath the woolen gloves, but that didn't work. I bought a pair of sheepskin mittens off the market, and although they were ok, squeezing the brakes and changing gear were a nightmare! :lol:

So buy some decent windproof gloves. Millets have a good line of them at reasonable cost.

Therein is an issue that I think is a thread in itself - winter clothing. I have some fingerless gloves that, surprisingly as I just experienced (explanation coming*), hold up well in a downpour but obviously leave the fingers a bit cold. I've got some full 'thermal' gloves that are lovely and toasty but take forever to dry out inside when the hands sweat and are a pig to take on and off once you are sweating. Generally I've been eBaying and Amazoning (is that a verb?) my stuff so far. Found some half decent bargains on things like padded cycling shorts (the dreaded lycra but I wear them as undershorts), shirts and gloves. Warm winter stuff though, generally, is much higher priced. Bit in bold - and that's where the "I wouldn't start from here" comes in.

*The sun peeked out from behind the clouds so me and Mrs Grumpy hopped on the bikes and went out. 5 minutes in to the little 5 miler the heavens opened again. It wasn't too bad except that it turns out my SPD shoes aren't waterproof and neither were her jogging pants she had on. Poor thing was like a drowned rat when we got back.
gaz

Post by gaz »

GrumpyCyclist wrote:I think they're 19mm. Alex Rims XD-Elite. The only sizing I can find is 622x19. No idea if that 19 refers to the internal width or something else.

19 will be the internal measurement. Should be good for a 28 tyre, I wouldn't try to go any narrower.

FWIW my own commuter (622x19) handles the rough road-stone surface of the local canal towpath on 28 M+ but only because I got a very lightly used set secondhand on ebay at a good price. When they wear out I'll be fitting 32s.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I have vredestein fortezza senso extreme tyres on the spa audax. They get good reviews for grip and durability, they go up to 28mm in width. They weigh 280gms so spin up fine. On my cross bike i have schwalbe sammy slicks, 35mm width but quite light and very puncture proof. As the name implies they are semi slick. I see many supporters of the vittoria hyper touring tyre as well but i have no experience of those, my tourer has continental top contacts which seem fine they replaced the top touring 2000 i beleive.