Buying a Brompton - any bargain opportunities ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Snakezilla1

Buying a Brompton - any bargain opportunities ?

Postby Snakezilla1 » 30 Oct 2015, 7:01pm

Hi any advice I'm interested in buying a new or nearly new Brompton. I recall when they bring out new models or colour s they sell others off bit cheaper. Thankyou from Keith
Last edited by Graham on 30 Oct 2015, 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title

Claireysmurf

Re: Buying a Brompton - any bargain opportunities ?

Postby Claireysmurf » 30 Oct 2015, 8:53pm

I bought a new Brompton last weekend. Je James had a small number in stock with only one reduced IIRC.
Brompton seem to be pushing towards built to order. My S6L in white with extended seat post and firm suspension block was a lucky find. I didn't fancy a six week wait

Snakezilla1

Postby Snakezilla1 » 30 Oct 2015, 9:32pm

Hi thanks . I looked on Brompton site after I posted. Yes I see there pushing the build thing . I looked on eBay However I've never purchased an item like that bit cautious. Thanks for your post

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 30 Oct 2015, 9:57pm

Bromptons sell for pretty good money used; if you are buying used than I'd suggest that you need to vet the PO at least as well as the bike.

Some organisations get a blanket discount with some bike stores (eg Evans) and this can apply as well as other discounts and offers; thus by the time you add it all up you can sometimes get a healthy overall discount.

BTW there are about five different discounted Bromptons here

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/clearance-zone-dept756_pg1/#filterkey=brand&page=1

thus if you particularly want a bright pink one with a SON generator, you're set.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AJ101

Postby AJ101 » 30 Oct 2015, 11:10pm

If there's any ex-demo ones at the big online bike shops it will show up here, but check regularly as they go pretty quick. http://bikesy.co.uk/s/brompton/

There was a very scuffed up, heavily discounted brompton at the recent Evans marquee sale, could be worth calling their Gatwick warehouse branch to see if it's still around.

Unfortunately the Bromptons really hold their value, so any new looking ones at a big discount will go very quickly.

Snakezilla1

Postby Snakezilla1 » 1 Nov 2015, 9:11pm

I'm going to build the Brompton. Not yet decided on colour yet . May be black. They certainly hold there price. Thanks for all your help . Kind regards. Keith

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 1 Nov 2015, 10:04pm

At some stage maybe the ones from the brompton hire outlets will be sold off cheap second-hand?

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 1 Nov 2015, 10:08pm

At Evans CTC members get 10% off.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Snakezilla1

Postby Snakezilla1 » 2 Nov 2015, 8:51am

al_yrpal wrote:At Evans CTC members get 10% off.

Al

Will contact Evans first. Great forum thanks to all

nullemont

Postby nullemont » 4 Nov 2015, 4:20pm

Brompton will be pushing 2016 bikes into stores now.Its not been a brilliant year for bike sales so far so if you decide which Brompton you want and ring round a few dealers you may find they have a 2015 or earlier Brompton they want to get rid of cheap.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 4 Nov 2015, 7:19pm

I went to the Evans Warehouse sale at Sheffield today. They had a couple of Bromptons reduced. You can only buy them in person though. It's on until Sunday. There may be others in other parts of the country.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 5 Nov 2015, 4:20pm

I bought a Brompton on behalf of a relative earlier this year because she doesn't use the internet and wanted me to search for the best deals for her.

There weren't any really. I discussed this with a local Brompton dealer and he said the price is fixed and if you sell them cheap the company won't give you any more to sell.

How true this is I don't know.

Zimba

Postby Zimba » 7 Nov 2015, 8:08pm

You can normally by them well in the second hand market, try eBay you'd be surprised the prices you can get a nearly new model for. I bought one on behalf of my neighbours last year and saved about 40% on new.

Snakezilla1

Postby Snakezilla1 » 12 Nov 2015, 9:58pm

Hi all purchased new Brompton from Evans . And got discount would not of known had not advice from forum , went for black . Thanks Keith